Storage options?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by tikgnat, Nov 13, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey all, I've got a question to ask you.

I've recently been doing up the loft in my house by putting flooring up into it, so we can use it as extra storage space.

Its dry, but the problem is its vewwwwy cold up there, I mean when the metal ladder comes down from the loft a thin layer of condensation will form immediately, its like a fridge.

Anyway, what can I store up there? I have plastic crates of comics and Video tapes (whuh? VHS? Wassat?), which will go up (because they're already outside in the garage so there won't be any difference between where they are and the loft). But its the toys I'm wondering about.

I have a lot of boxed mint toys, MPs, BTs, ML, SL, DW but will they be alright up there? Cold doesn't hurt them in anyway (cold is the Transformers weakness after all) or deterioriate the boxes? Or would there be no difference to the giant cargo container they sat in for months on the way from China?

Or would the loose guys be better up there? Or all?

Anyway, some views would be appreciated, I know some some people have whole storage rooms up to freakin' warehouses on these boards.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Condensation = water. Might damage the boxes.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I'd worry about the moisture, especially with anything packaged.

You can probably mitigate that by putting 'em in Rubbermaid containers or something like that, or putting a dehumidfier up there...but I imagine you're still running a risk of some damage.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you guys understand that condensation happens due to the cold air and the warmer air mixing up very fast, right? i.e. it could just be a case of high differential in temperature between the loft and the heated room below, not necessary high moisture content of the air in the loft.

5. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I've kept rubbermaid boxes full of A/E/C toys MISB for years in a cold basement. I couldn't tell you what a long-run effect would've been, but for me, bunch of stuff, few years, cold place, rubbermaid. Everything was fine. Getting my wife to not mind a third of the basement to be covered in orange stacked containers...that was the tricky part.

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, its dry up there, if there was condensation up there normally, well that would be a problem in itself, I only get condensation when I bring anything cold from up there back down.

Well, if cold doesn't in itself do anything I think I can store a fair amount of stuff up there.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup.
    However I also know that keeping my MIB Pretender Roadgrabber in a dry but cold loft somehow still warped the box.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You should be fine. You could probably hang a side of beef up there while you're at it.

9. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Does anyone see any value in having a storage thread stickied in this forum? These questions seem to come up every so often.

10. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd be more worried how hot it gets up there in the summer than the condensation.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Cold (but not freezing) is good.
    Dry (but not too dry) is good.
    Keeping temperature and humidity relatively constant is good.

A dehumidifier is a good idea. And as I've posted before, calcium chloride set-ups (like "DampRid") aren't a bad idea either. (And CaCl₂ can be found rather inexpensively as ice melter or for use with pools.)

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Loose toys should be fine. My main worries are the rubbery parts , especially from the Marvel figs.
    My Doc Oc's tentacles got stuck together from keeping him in my attic, but that was from going through a summer. I don't know too much about it, I just check them every month for any warping. So far so good.

Never had any problems with the cold. Not sure if it can make figs more brittle or not. Maybe you can install more insulation or something just to be safe.

13. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, chemical dehumidifier boxes sound good, I didn't think of that, I always thought they needed to be electric.

Unfortunately extra insulation isn't going to be an option, at least not permanently, because we intend to build an extension at some point. (Which will drive me nuts, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it). We're thinking of putting up some plasterboard, but thats not really insulation.

As for heat in Summer, wow, you know I haven't thought about it, at all. I've only been here since Summer, and I've never been up there on a hot day, just to see. I'm thinking of installing/fitting an electronic thermometer, with a temperature probe up there, but the unit down here. That way I can check the temperature without actually going up... although I could just not be lazy and just go up there and see.

Mmm, and warping mint boxes is defintely off then, I think I remember seeing warped paper up there when I cleared it out (there was a lot of junk that had to go before the new floor insulation and flooring went on) so maybe over time the rapid temperature changes in Summer warp paper and card? Urgh, its all speculation at this point.

Looks like a lot of loose figures in their crate draws are going up there with the comics. (Urrrrgh, comics are paper... but there's not real space for them anywhere else...) Hmm. Maybe the dehumidifier and a regular check will keep things OK.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    one day we'll all have dimensional portal doors in our attic/basement so we can just rent and dump stuff in the negative zone.

15. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey KA, shouldn't your sig read 'Don't tase me Brah!!!'?

But yes. Negative zone storage would totally rock. But Blastaar would probably go through and break all your stuff.

Him and Anihilus are jerks.