Storage Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyberwolf1980, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll be moving within a few months and the place will probably be smaller. I need to store my figures but there are some issues I need to discuss before execution. I'm not sure how long they will be stored for but I am certain that now and again I will rumage through to play with a figure.

First off and most imporantly is location. It will likely be a garage as it will be the only available space. To make matters worse I live in Southern FL. The heat and humidity (Especially during summer) is ridiculous. Now I know it is recommended not to put them in such a location but I probably won't have much choice. What tips could anyone provide that would allow for as little damage as possible?

Secondly is type of storage. What would you recommend? I currently use rubbermaids and sterilite. I've read Rubbermaid is a good PVC free option but any other recommedations or additions?

Finally, what's the best way to go with little to no breakage. Most of my figures are loose and while I've lost count I'm guessing somewhere around 300to 400, maybe more starting as far back as BW. Sizes are varying but deluxe is the most common. How many bins/boxes/etc do you think I'm looking at depending on how I store them (Need to conserve as much space as possible, dozens of bins is not an option)? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

yeah don't use rubbermaid, in the heat and humidty it will be death and worse if sealed up, it would be like a small sauna in those tubs.

3. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not an expert but I would suggest some how venting the tubs, if there in a garage and it's now mildewey and they won't get wet, I would make some small holes and put some steel wool in the holes.

Should keep out bugs and rodents but allow the stuff to air out the heat, if it is indoor and sealed in I don't see a problem.

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I'm no expert either, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I would be inclined to try and get those rubbermaids as air tight as possible in that type of storage. Maybe with industrial strength garbage bags with a pass of ducked-tape to seal it off. I may be wrong tho...

That would however make them hard of access...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You really don't have enough space inside for a few boxes in a closet? Computer paper boxes are great. Transform them into the most compact mode. Then put them in the box standing up or on end so they are verticle. Pack in enough so they keep them selves in the veritcle position. This way, you aren't putting weight on top of them. Once you've filled the box, you can probably put a few lighter ones on top to fill out the empty spaces. Because these will be across multiple bots, the weight distributes itself and not weighing on a single one.

I've done this and never had an issue.

Do this with several paper boxes & it should be your whole collection. Then just stack the boxes in a closet. At least my closests go back behind the wall on the sides so I can have an entire stack there not visible just looking into the closet.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you find a Storage unit with AC? I'm not sure what is in your collection but its better to be safe than sorry.

7. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I don't know how little space you'll have, but I have to agree that inside with controlled temp would be 100x better than outside with crazy heat or cold winters. One thing that i've done to save space is buy those long/flat rubbermaid totes that slide under your bed. My queen size bed fits 2 hugs flat totes under it. They could even fit under a couch maybe? Make extra space where you can, and it sounds like you've already taken the hardest step, eliminating the packaging and boxes.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This and is the garage where you will be moving included in the house's AC? if it is your golden if not id agree with Chris291 climate controlled storage if you can afford it.

if you have a basement in that house id advise it over the garage as it even with out AC would be significantly cooler than a garage. and the rubber maid tubs will deal with any potential water issues up to the point that if water gets in them you will have alot more than wet figures to deal with.

Don't flame if there aren't many basements in Florida I have never been there.

I agree with most compact form, usually the alt mode. id also advise any all detachable bits such as weapons or missiles be put into some kind of bags labeled with who they belong to as to avoid confusion later.

as for how many bins that depends on the size you get. My Advise on that is look at the figures youi have and there accessories and use some storage containers you have on hand to help you get an idea of what you will need in both size and numbers.

9. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We have a walk-in closet right now and I have 3 rubbermaids full of figures, not wrapped with anything. Something I'm gonna change. I have a drawer full that would fill another rubbermaid unwrapped, as well as my figures on display that will yet again fill a rubbermaid unwrapped. The closet is packed with other items as well. Most likely where we move we won't have a walk-in and what closet space we will have will be used for clothes only.

Can't. To expensive. Even the ones without AC are expensive. It's obnoxious. I just cant afford them.

That's a really good idea, however, we have platform bed (low to the ground), but, we were thinking of getting bed risers. Then again, we are also worried they won't hold our bed (shits heavy) and our fat asses lol.

You won't find too many basements in FL. Too close to sea level. And I'd adviser against coming here. I hate it. As for a garage with AC, we haven't found a place yet, and we're not the only ones here, so we don't have the sole decision. I can only hope for one with AC. I will wrap most in bubble wrap and see how much space it takes too get a good idea of how many I will need.

Thanks for the ideas and any other help would be appreciated.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That really is a sucky situation. I have mine in tupperware bins stacked in my bedroom. Not pretty by any means but, temperature controlled and easy access.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe this is an idea. Can you find room for some of the collection in the house? If so, you could always rotate what is being stored in the garage so it isn't always out there. Sounds like you have maybe 6 Rubbermaid tubs worth when packed. If you can find a space for 2 tubs in the house, maybe switch out the tubs ever couple of weeks. So at most, the figures are out there a month at a time. Switching should only take a couple of minutes so its not that much work.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    just as a heads up, I kept a bunch of my stuff in my dad's "attic" in jacksonville. it warped some of the plastic beyond belief, and all of the stickers slid right off into a gooey mess. heat's murder on toys, friend. inside in regular living areas is all you can do to save them.

13. jamspeed

jamspeed Follow me on Instagram _jamspeed_

Ebay:
    This is a good idea, as far as protecting the TFs I have been using plastic ziplock type bags. I try to use over sized ones so I can wrap the excess around the toys to protect them, and this method of packing uses the least amount of space. Not having your transformers inside sucks, but you should be able to save your favorites/most valuable and stow them somewhere in the house. I feel for ya, most of us have this issue sooner or later.