Stop Motion transformation Gifs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Looks much smoother now! excellent tweakings! before it made him look a little too stationary as everything else was moving with the blur, glad I helped clarify why it looked a bit off!

• Like Like x 1
  2. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

...crispy!..fantastic work as always...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Can you end a 33 year old mystery and tell us where the trailer goes?

4. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

• Like Like x 7
  5. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

I enjoyed this explanation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

In the box :lol 

• Like Like x 10
  7. Gutts

Gutts Autobot

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    It is great animation. My little idea is it would be nice if the truck windows also moved. They are still the same all the way through while everything else moves and changes. It might be nice if they opened a little at the start of transformation, like they are making room for some other parts to transform. And then when everything gets in place and he starts running the windows would close as the final touch.

8. OptimusTimelord

Well of course, on the MP toy, the windows do have to open in order to transform the figure (along with other stuff I've omitted, like the waist rotating 180° and the faux grill folding down etc). In my very early Prime gifs I did include these steps, and IMO it tended to make things a bit messy, in a Bayverse explosion kind of way.

Since MP ReAnimated took off I've consciously tried to make my transformations resemble their onscreen counterpart (while still hopefully looking believable). Mainly this is because, for me at least, those toon transformations were fascinating to watch when I was a kid; I even used to freeze-frame them! They often contain split-second movements that may be impossible for a real toy but which make that scene memorable and identifiable (even dare I say iconic, like the previous Jazz/MT Downbeat one). That's the essence of what I'm trying to capture, not simply a record of the Masterpiece instruction manual :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    I personally think you should save the full detail of transformations for more live action-y scenes, (like, if you decided to make the 07 autobots intro scene with mp g1 figures. :p ) and stick with the fast transformations for the cartoon stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

Ha, I used to think I was the only kid who did that :D 
    I would pause the videotape and advance it frame by frame to watch the transformations. I found them fascinating because they were different every time, dependent on the animator (and how much they felt like "cheating" :) ). You could find some weird stuff going on, like I think there was one where Brawn's hood (or "bonnet" for those across the pond :) ) kind of morphed into his chest, or the one where Gears transformed just like Bumblebee/Cliffjumper.

My favorite sequence was the "roll call" in MTMTE, probably due to being probably the most detailed transformations in the series. I used to go through that whole sequence frame by frame, and I used to dream of owning toys that transformed just like that; especially Wheeljack, with the way these little panels on his shins folded out to join both halves of his car front...
    The MP figures are probably the closest I'll get, but I'll take 'em :D 

I really hate to have any kind of criticism, since with 100 years of practice I don't think I could emulate what you do. But in that most recent Prime GIF, it bugs me that the front wheels just kind of disappear instead of seeing them go somewhere; one frame they're there, the next you see Prime's hip. Yeah, I'm being nitpicky, I'm just OCD about that kind of stuff :p 

• Like Like x 1
  11. OptimusTimelord

Ha ha, I remember those odd transformations (as the animators got lazy later on and entire body parts would just change colour/shape :lol ). As for Prime's wheels, they do have actually have two frames where they are folding up into the torso (as per the real MP transformation), which is equivalent to the cell drawing in that scene where the wheels kind of get covered up over two frames. It probably throws off your expectations because the wheels (and most of the cab) stays in alt mode position longer than it should, as his legs straighten and he stands up, which the MP can't do so I had to cheat to make it happen here!

I often find I'm having to juggle between two worlds while I'm animating - one eye on the frame by frame cartoon images, trying to match them as close as possible, and the other eye having to consider how my real-world photos will play out when seen in sequence. Because what works in a series of flat drawings doesn't always work when translated into the actual MP figure; hopefully I get it right more often than wrong!

• Like Like x 3
  12. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

Uh-oh, it's the whole "cartoon accuracy vs realistic detail" argument all over again :lolol 

But seriously, I figured it had something to do with staying true to the original sequence, and I can't argue with that because that's precisely what makes these videos so awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gutts

Gutts Autobot

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    Sure, I didnt suggest that to get all the steps in. I like its all about the visuals, to make the motion look good. To rather cheat than to stick with whats possible with the figure. But the idea was about maybe improving the visuals. The windows dont move at all, while everything else does. It would be more dynamic. Its catching my eye that that one part is the same whole time. But it might be just me. Nevermind, its great already.

14. OptimusTimelord

Probably personal preference... The window/grill area of the cab pretty much stayed in place in all the toon transformations, as well as the G1 toy, so that's how I'm used to seeing it/thinking about it. I know on the MP they have to open to get all that bumper/faux grill stuff through, I just feel we don't need to see all that... Kinda like how MP faux-kibble in general is there to persuade us that one piece of alt mode has become a certain part of bot mode, because on the toy it would be impossible to use the exact same part. For me to show the faux kibble going away and the real part replacing it would be defeating the object; likewise there's no actual reason, in this fictional version of the transformation, for the windows to open.

Phew.. I'm not used to thinking about why I make the decisions I do and explaining them! Putting those almost unconscious thoughts into words takes more effort than I expected! :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  15. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    LOL, this really made me laugh.

I would have went for up his butt!

16. OptimusTimelord

Yeah, you're not gonna be seeing me animate that... @tikgnat, over to you :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Your best work is when you don't have that hazy ghost vision effect.

• Like Like x 2
  18. OptimusTimelord

I guess the ghosting is the interlaced frames I sometimes put in, which I forgot to do with Jazz there. It seems to work better in the finished videos than it does in Gif form, maybe due to frame rates or somesuch...

19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Yeah, GIF89A encoding is just ugly from a technical perspective. Once you get out of sprite-level color counts, the refresh rate bombs if you're not careful.

I really did enjoy the full AV clips up on YouTube. If you ever did a full episode, I'd probably pay to download it.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. OptimusTimelord

Hound's hologram human hijinks!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 20