Stop Motion transformation Gifs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Oct 7, 2014.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Cheers guys! I promise to be a benevolent deity who only smites when absolutely necessary :thumb 
    One of my faves too... Wheeljack and Jazz are done, and I did do Prowl and Sideswipe very early on but I'll probably redo those as they weren't strictly toon accurate. Oh and I need a decent MP Cliffjumper to really do it justice...

• Like Like x 3
  2. OptimusTimelord

Well every one has its own unique problems and solutions, but at heart it's as simple as pointing a camera at a figure and taking lots of photos step by step. I do a lot of additional goofing around in Photoshop to tweak everything exactly as I want it (often cheating for poses and angles that are impossible on the actual toys), as well as sprinkling in a few effects to help sell the deal (motion blur for example).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Awesome, how it should have been. Hot rod learns a good lesson and has to recover for a while while prime finally ends the war.

Did you run out behind the batter in little league without a helmet or something? That's how dumb Hot Rods decision was and why he is hated, not just because Prime died as a result.

There were plenty of deceptions to fight. You don't break chains of command or mettle I'm things you have no business in. It's annoying, not just because Prime died but because if Hot Rod had paid attention to cybertronian history and watched the G1 episodes for training, he would have known that no other autobot could successfully beat Megatron except prime. Many better bots tried but all failed. Hot Rod was an idiot for trying to be a Hot Shot. For me, he will be known as the Starscream of the Autobots because they also could have won many times, if not for Starscream.

4. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Ever read the Marvel comics adaption of the movie, which was based on the original script? :D 

In it, Hot Rod does not interfere in the fight. Megatron thus grabs a gun and shoots Optimus pointblank. Hot Rod interfering or not, Megatron was going to get that gun and shoot Optimus. Hot Rod his actions in the movie actually bought Optimus a few seconds of extra life.

Now, that's not to say that what Hot Rod did wasn't dumb. Not just because Optimus had it coming for all those times during season 1 and 2 that he could've killed Megatron or ended the war and didn't. No, what Hot Rod did was dumb because he should've known that there was no way he could overpower Megatron (although he did pretty well before the matrix upgrade against the much stronger Galvatron). No, he should've used those armblasters to shoot the gun Megatron was going for or yell a warning to Optimus.

Then again, Optimus was already pretty injured at that time (he was hit in the side during his attack run, and again when fighting with Megatron and when Megatron grabs the gun he aims for that exact same spot), as shown by the fact that one of the best sharp shooters in the Autobot army, who could hit a Decepticon nosecone from a distance of 30 km...fears he's unable to avoid hitting Hot Rod from a distance of a few meters. So even if Hot Rod warned him, Optimus likely would still be unable to hit Megatron.

Nevertheless, it's an awesome little directors cut by @tikgnat :D 

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Why don't you you learn some manners?

Not all of us like Optimus Prime. Fact is Hot Rod meant well.

Have you ever been in a similar situation? If not then how do you know how you'd react to see someone about to shoot somebody you care about?

We can differ in opinion. You hate Hot Rod. I hate Optimus Prime.

But we can at least be civil so remember your manners next time.

Btw I never played Little League for 2 reasons:

1. I'm Irish

2. I hate sport

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

This is all make believe but it's left an impression on my childhood because Prime was so well written and the feeling in the actors voice made him the kind of role model you could look up to. So seeing him die because of a young punks bad choice didn't sit well with my childhood. Whether you like prime or not, my point is the fued that carried on forever could have ended if not for his medling. If your of the philosophy he should get a trophy for trying then that's fine. If he really wanted to help his loved one, he could have jumped in front of the blast rather than presume he could out muscle Megatron. If you really want to know, I only hate Hasbro, because they killed G1 in that movie and 25 years later killed the MP retail line in North America leaving us to importing only.

I guess I should have said "would you" instead of "did you", Sorry, my intent was not to insult you. I figured if you can come out strong saying you can't stand prime lovers hating on hotrod, you gotta be able to acknowledge it was a stupid move to take on Megatron. Everyone knows you don't run out in front of the batter without a helmet, it's a reckless rookie move and everyone knows it even if you don't play. It appeared to me that you didnt consider hot rods actions reckless enough OR that it's negative outcome is outweighed by his positive intentions. For Pete's sake, we saw hot rod shoot at the ship from his arm blasters, he could have shot at megatron instead. Bad writing, maybe.

I just want to see a Gif where hot rod is blown to bits by Prime and Megatron is in shock and fear realizing he won't get mercy. Lol.

7. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    Yeah, the toy catalogue in all transformer toys were amazing to fuel my interest in the next toy. I don't know how many hours I spent looking at them, wanting the toys. I remember seeing the fort max catalogue and there were so many I wanted it was mental. Fort Max, Trypticon, Scorponok, Predaking, Apeface (got the catalogue with Snapdragon), and many more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OptimusTimelord

Oi... Less 'Hot Rod killed Prime' talk; more animation!

[​IMG]

Ahhh yeah, seeing all the range laid out like that and knowing you could only ever hope to own a handful of selected ones! Different times back then :) 

• Like Like x 26
  9. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well, that's delicious.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 4
  10. myrrh

myrrh Well-Known Member

...witchcraft!..

...no seriously, i absolutely adore your animations, and it's a treat to watch you refine your technique, but i think i prefer a bit less motion blur than this one incorporates: necessary to hide the photoshop cheats?..

• Like Like x 2
  11. doucoo

Ebay:

Love it. Was there from the start so the cab transformation is always something special.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Prime Noble

Hot Rod was supposed to be a reckless rookie. It was in character.

Anyway can we just drop it because I'm sick of this constant whining from fans blaming Hot Rod and it's only derailing this thread and the good work Optimus Timelord does.

• Like Like x 2
  13. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Hotrod should have been the one that got killed off...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prime Noble

Whatever....

15. OptimusTimelord

Cheers guys:) 
    Hmmm, didn't really think too much about it TBH. I guess the speed of the action dictates the level of blur I feel is right. The PS cheats (such as short cuts in the transformation) are designed to look convincing with or without blur. I think this particular transformation has a lot of similar frames and of course the panning motion so I just figured it needed some extra motion blending!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL ヤマト2202

Wow, that is just so amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. doucoo

Ebay:
    All you need is the noise...........that is all we needed in the playground to transform!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    I think the blur would be fine if it happened a little differently placed, so rather then prime being in focus, it's more a part of him, making him look mor elike he's running from vehicle speed, not quite the "transform and vibrate before I run off" effect it currently has.

19. Robotmonkeys

Robotmonkeys Sons of Cybertron

Ebay:
    Here's a tip/critique for @OptimusTimelord ,
    Oh wait, you don't need any cuz your work is totally awesome, much appreciated, and the only way it could be any "better" is if we had full episodes of your work. Thanks for your dedication and hard work, you make appreciating these MPs exciting, you bring life to them. Thank you OTL!

• Like Like x 2
  20. OptimusTimelord

Thanks!
    If only gifs had sound :lol 
    Looking again I think I've seen the problem. I put the motion blur on Prime because he is 'moving' diagonally through the scene, but since the scene is panning and following him, he's actually fairly unmoving relative to the frame... It should have been the background that was 'moving'.
    Cheers :thumb  But I don't mind a bit of polite critique, sometimes I do miss things if I'm in a rush. Case in point, somehow (I guess I must have been logged out of Giphy and not realised it?) that Prime gif didn't add to my channel... So as I needed to re-upload it anyway, I figured I'd try it without blur on the transformation... I also took the opportunity to tighten up the transformation and add blur to the moving background.

See if you can spot the difference!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5