Stop Motion transformation Gifs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTimelord, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    :lol  It's funny to hearing Optimus Prime (essentially) hocking non Hasbro products.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Hell yea! That looks awesome, you just might want to slow it down a bit and add the shadows if you decide to put more work into it.

I googled heman backgrounds to find that pic. There's also good Tf and Disney ones just in case you need more in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  3. openchallenge

openchallenge It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it

Ok, so another workflow post. My first attempt at a vehicle moving on a scrolling background. I'm going to show how I tackled it. The finishing point of this project will have some clear things that need to be tweaked like speed but you should see how that can be accomplished so I think it's a functional method.

Start with a look at the original background.

icebackground.jpg

I cleaned up the edges, made a copy, mirrored it with free transform, (use the shift key while clicking and dragging with that tool. ;)  ) and laid them over either edge of the original.

BGworkflow01.jpg

Then I started using the drawing tool to make a grid. Found the center and went from there.

BGworkflow02.jpg

Copied the first chunk and layered it over the rest.

BGworkflow03.jpg

I used a frame that still had the white background as a template. This served multiple purposes, the leading edge would line up with the next grid line in each frame, I could then use it to line up the edited frame that has no background, and finally I used it to make the selection so I could copy the frame out of the bigger picture. (I started adding color to the work surface to make things more clear.)

BGworkflow04.jpg

Here is an edited frame with the background removed. I used the magic wand with a 21% tolerance.

01.png

I lined the edited frame up with my template, used the template to select the frame area (highlighted in grey here), unchecked the layers that shouldn't be seen, temporarily merged all visible, copied the frame, opened it as a new pic, saved it, and undo the merge so you can move things around for the next frame.

BGworkflow05.jpg

And repeat, I made eight frames total.

BGworkflow06.jpg

Here's the finished gif. Unfortunately I did this with a weird vehicle so you can see a bit more ground is being covered than the movement of the treads suggest. This probably won't come up with any other vehicle but the speed of the background can be slowed by making the grid smaller and remaking the gif.

BG512.gif

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
  4. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

you-have-learned-well-grasshopper-memes-com-17713460.png

• Like Like x 5
  5. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Very similar to my methods, and you certainly got the intended results! This bit seems a little overcomplicated though -
    For a shot like this, where the subject stays fixed in a standard picture frame, I create an extended background template, exactly like you did, and import it as a layer behind my subject (so essentially most of the backdrop is overlapping the sides of the window and out of shot). No need to merge, copy, open, close or crop anything; simply turn on the various wheel layers in order, making sure to move the backdrop the required amount each time and saving as numbered frames as you go.

• Like Like x 2
  6. openchallenge

Would have been awesome if you told me a trick to copy what's visible in a selection without merging :)  I usually save frames directly from the image I'm working on. I only copy frames to new pics in certain situations like if I need to resize the frames before I save them.

One thing I didn't mention was while I was removing the white backgrounds from the frames. I had to copy each one to a new pic and check transparent. I was sure there was another way to reset the layer but doubted it was fewer steps and stuck with what I was doing.

7. OptimusTimelord

I'm still not sure why you're merging? Just saving as jpeg will create a single merged frame anyway, regardless of how many layers you're working on. So for something like this I find it easier to have those different wheel positions open and just move background, change visible wheel layer, save as jpeg, move background etc etc
    Yeah no way round that; creating transparent areas means another layer, which automatically turns a jpeg into a PS file. But then again, adding the background template will have already meant creating a PS file, so do that first ;) 

8. openchallenge

i understand what you're saying. I use cheap software that would happily crop the background if I had portions out of frame. That's why I make the layered project big enough to keep everything in frame and copy the smaller finished frames out of it. The extra steps is me getting what I pay for. :) 

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. openchallenge

I was playing around with flip canvas and flip layer commands. ended up adjusting the speed and adding shadow.

HEREVL2R512.gif

HEREVSH512.gif

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Perfection! I don't have any more critiques. You did it! Well done sir! swedish_chef.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Assuming you're both using Photoshop, these key commands will help tremendously:
    • Copy Merged Ctrl+Shift+C (Windows) / Cmd+Shift+C (Mac) - this will copy pixels from all visible layers within a selection's boundaries, should streamline @openchallenge's process quite a bit.
    • Merge Visible Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E (Windows) / Cmd+Opt+Shift+E (Mac) - this will create a new merged layer from all visible layers and keeps all original layers.
    You can also access these from the Edit menu Layers menu, respectively.

Keep up the fantastic work guys!! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. openchallenge

Thanks, I'll give it a try. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Oh there's more where that came from. Behold!!!!
    2015-adobe-photoshop-keyboard-shortcuts-cheat-sheet.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

You’re welcome! :) 
    That’s an excellent resource. Hotkeys and key commands are so incredibly useful for optimizing workflow. They’re one of the top things I highly encourage my students to learn, along with non-destructive editing techniques.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

:D  sweet, now I know who to come to when I get stuck ;)  cheers man

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

:D  Cheers, man!

• Like Like x 1
  17. OptimusTimelord

Oh I see! I do use that technique myself sometimes, usually when a more complicated camera move is required, if characters are moving around or there's stuff going on I need to see. Basically I weigh up what the quickest way is for the shot I need - often the original toon cel animation makes that decision for me. With a panning background (there's one in the opening credits of S1 I'm working on at the mo) it can be simpler to put my MP photo on top of the cel drawing and not need to edit all the frames individually. Alternatively, as I'm doing for this particular shot, the extra work of extracting and editing a clean backdrop makes more sense in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  18. openchallenge

Yeah, I'm wishing I had the talent to make backgrounds. People say to search for them but the source of the hits is from the gallery section of this site. :) 

19. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Making backgrounds is easy compared to what your doing hehehe. I would recommend taking a image manipulation class at a community college or just follow the adobe tutorials. They are awesome. This was the last one I did.

20. openchallenge

I can layout and build a background. I can make macross style cities and industrial interiors but they're unpainted models. I guess I'll have to remove characters from backgrounds for a while and see if I pick up enough to get past that point.

I'm looking forward to seeing you post some content. :) 

• Like Like x 1