Stop asking Hasbro about fan customs and add-on kits.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how they can pretend ignorance when TFSource is there at BotCon showing off samples of stuff like the Protector, Explorer and Munitioner unlicensed upgrade sets. I still agree with the original point of the fans not repeatedly asking about it, but having one of the more well-known online TF retailers displaying 3rd party stuff at the Hasbro-supported/sanctioned convention seems like an even bigger instance of pushing it in Hasbro's face then a question or two at a panel.

2. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

It's not hard to understand: If you like the add-on kits,
    don't ask Hasbro about them. Nothing good can come of it. Period.

3. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Rather have Hasbro spending more time answering something more useful then this topic.

4. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    There are levels to what Hasbro will allow to happen.

Small things like people on fan forums hand producing small runs (like less than 15) of replacemnt or addition parts like heads or guns for customising they let slide.

When companies start haveing things produced in factories with steel moulds and injection moulded plastics in professional standard boxes (like the Magnus trailer) produced in numbers in the hundreds/thousands and charging quite a lot for them thats when its gone too far and hasbro will start taking action

5. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reading through the thread, I was wondering about that too, when I saw that TFSource had stuff there. How could they not turn a blind eye at that point, especially if TFSource buys directly from Hasbro.

Wasn't there a big to do last year with KO TFs and all of a sudden US Online Retailers who carried Hasbro TFs no longer selling them? I might be wrong, but I thought I remembered an e-mail from BBTS about it

6. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

I agree with most of the people who say dont ask ... Its like a slap in the face of Hasbro. Even though they should take it as a wake up call but they dont.

And as Guard Convoy said above.
    And then the run on the Magnus and Skywarp 2 packs. Hasbro may turn a blind eye or 2 but they have been at this game long enough. They know most add ons fan projects or what have you will put money in their pockets one way or another.....

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Simple fact. Fansproject, TFC Toys, Impossible Toys, Master Mind Creations, ect, are all safe and keep doing what they want. Hasbro can't touch them. If Hasbro can't stop KO makers, how do you think they'll go after these guys? As I've said numerous times, the online retailers are the only ones Hasbro can do anything to. And if Hasbro decides to send a legal letter to them, to stop selling unlicensed TF products, then only those retailers and the fans will lose out. The retailers will be stuck with products they can't move. And fans will have to pay even more, to get kits like Protector, and full figures like IT's Valkyrie. The main reason they will have to pay more, is there would be less retailers to buy stock, so they would end up making less of the products, and charge more to recoup the costs.

Last year, this time, I would of hoped people would be smart enough not to poke Hasbro. But now, it seems it doesn't matter, because these groups are here to stay.

And a quick comment of the prices. Keep in mind, each group only has fundings for a limited run for their kits. For example, FansProject might be able to do 2,000 pieces for Protector, so they could sell him at $70, at retail. But if Master Mind Creation made Protector, and they could only do a run of 1,000 pieces, they would have to charge $90 or more, at retail, to make up for the costs. These guys aren't charities. Their limited to their resources. This works the same way, with someone working with resin to make accessories out of their garage, to a group who has access to a factory. Costs and resources always affect the prices. If these groups showed what they have available, we'd have a better understanding why their stuff costs so much.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  8. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

i agree this question doesn't need to be asked. whether or not hasbro is aware/cares is another issue. its like when the teacher says "are there anymore questions?" at the end of class, only the class idiot asks a question.

9. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plain and simple, Shut up and stop asking.
    Hasbro knows, and they do not care. They understand that fansproject, igear, justitoys etc. are in no way shape or form a competitor.
    I would probably slap the shit out of someone if I were at the panel when they asked.

Simple. Stop thinking you know even a single thing about hasbro's business plan and what they should or should not do.
    Shut up with the stupid questions so a large man does not smack some sense into you for asking a stupid question.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    While I grant you that this is true, with you being reputedly closely involved with Fans Project, I can't help but feel as though you are a little bit smug in your (associated company's) legal invincibility ;) 

11. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't get why people ask the question either. It's not like Hasbro can publicly state that "Oh, we love that CC trailer set. Good job FansProject, keep it up!" even if they wanted to. Honestly, I don't think Hasbro cares about add-on kits. Full figures, they may be a bit more annoyed by. Also, don't forget that collectors aren't Hasbro's main demographic. If fans buy fewer of figure X, because of a fan-made version, they don't care all that much. Sure, some lines are targeted at fans, made so kids will like them as well, but they can't make a line of toys based on they needs of the collectors only. Thats why these custom or KO companies have come into being. Because they concentrate on smaller runs, they can cater to the small market that Hasbro can't. As long as these companies don't blatantly step on their toes, IE announcing a custom full figure of the same character Hasbro is doing right after they reveal it, their all right. Hell, I bet hasbro really could care less about add-ons since it's something that encourages people to buy their products. If anything is going to get people in trouble, it's the full figures and especially the things like the downsized MP prime. That in particular is going a bit overboard.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was wondering if someone would call me out on that. :lol  I tried my best not to sound smug at all. Just relaying info I have first hand been told by several different groups that I have done commissions for over the past three years. I'm not part of Fansproject, as it became public knowledge that I freelanced for other groups, in my Radicon of the Month article, here on TFW. If I was part of FP, that means the other groups I worked for are all FP under different names. :lol  But anyways, I'm just trying to give info, as I guess I'm one of the few active members here who has worked with "3rd party" groups. So I do have insight others don't, or wouldn't think of, with out the experience.

These groups do all know that Hasbro can only stop the retailers they deal with, and that they are, for most part, safe, in continuing to make stuff they want. Now, as we are aware, most of the groups still play it safe, like no bot or con symbols, or using real names. Some more than others. From what I've seen, FansProject plays it the safest, as possible. They are willing to alter a face on a character or upgrade kit, to make it safer for them in regards to IP, even if it might turn off some fans from buying their products. I can't go into full details, but for Defender, they went to great lengths to make sure it was not an IP conflict at all. They almost scrapped it, until they were told it was no issue with Hasbro's Springer IP.

Where as others, they want to copy the entire design of an Hasbro IP as possible, but won't put a trademarked symbol, or use the real names.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe Hasbro can't stop them from being made but they can make them go out of business. They can force online retailers to stop carring them & can probably make eBay cancel any auctions selling them. Other than individuals selling them fan to fan, that dries up most of the sales avenues. If these products can't sell, the company can't recoup their costs & will have to stop making them.

14. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Sounded so much like bigger car companies should stop smaller companies from re-inventing new high-efficiency cars.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It doesn't sound like that at all.

16. Lycanthropic Tendencies

Lycanthropic Tendencies Well-Known Member

Except that Faith Leader wasn't available by any of the methods you mentioned and it's still selling.
    And when prices are exceptionally high, like Rabid Squirrel's Arcee or even some of the one off customs on ebay, people will still buy.

A lot of collectors understand and respect that many things they crave are impractical for Hasbro to make, so will pay if someone produces what they want.
    The cost and time is still often less than building your own.

The full figures do too.
    I-Gear Prime is directly responsible for me buying several toys.

17. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I know this is a "zombie" thread...but the new "Ask Hasbro re: Transformers September" thread has at least half a dozen of these questions.

18. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'd have to say I agree with everything you wrote.

pointing out all those 3rd party illegial toy companies to hasbro at botcon/online/other conventions. is like going to a movie theatre & handing out freebie bootleg movies that are being shown in the theatre.

my guess is some TF fans are major completist & want the 3rd party TF toy companies like igear,fan projects closed down. because they don't have the money to buy the toys. they also view there TF collections in-complete without the 3RD party TF toys. having these 3rd party TF companies shut down will solve all their TF toy line completist problems.

No one is forcing everyone to buy everything. If your a completist than that's something you personally have to deal with.

I am not a completist,I buy less & less TF toys every year,I've even sold a huge chunck on ebay.

I buy what I like & leave the rest for the next guy.

POINT IS,No TF fans has the right to ruin it for everyone else. by tattle talling over & over like a broken record on the 3rd party companies that make TF toys.

Some TF fans joy of buying these 3rd party TF toys should not be taken away. sometimes the world is a pretty harsh place to live in. if a little plastic toy can bring joy to so many fans,they I say let it continue for as long as it can.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hopefully whoever picks the questions from the thread is smart enough not to choose any of them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  20. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After hearing some of the questions that were asked to Peter Cullen at the Botcon panel this year, I am assured that there's a hugely stupid portion of our fandom.

Frankly, I'm just enjoying the fansproject toys while they last. I'm certain at some point or another, they (and other companies) will get shut down. Granted, they may end up doing their own non-style derivitive works which could be cool, but for a lot of figures, they're our only hope of getting stuff done.