Stop asking Hasbro about fan customs and add-on kits.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Seriously.

I've seen this a few times in the past - people at BotCon asking Hasbro about stuff like Fansprojects, people asking Habsro about the Unicron.com accessories in website Q&As...

Seriously, people. Either you're insanely ignorant or actually ill-meaning.

Here's the deal: All of these customs and add-ons which are sold for a profit, no matter how small, exist in a legal gray area (called "derivative works") at best. At worst, they're blatant infringements on Hasbro's intellectual property.

Unless you manage to get an official license form Hasbro before you even start working on whatever you want to produce (which will involve a hefty license fee), the best thing you can hope for is Hasbro turning two blind eyes on you.

If you're not that lucky, expect a cease and decist order.

Do not expect Hasbro turning a blind eye on fan productions when you explictly ask them about stuff. "Hasbro, how do you like my custom-made accessories?" is stupid. "Hasbro, what do you think of Garage Kit Project X?" can effectively mean the end of Garage Kit Project X.

Simply put: You do not support fan-made add-ons and customs and shit by officially bringing them to Hasbro's attention. Hasbro will not instantly hire fans who come up with an awesome trailer for Classics Ultra Magnus because you told Hasbro about them. The first thing Hasbro will do is tell their legal department about it.

So people, please THINK before you ask Hasbro what they think about this super-awesome unauthorized Classics Ultra Magnus trailer.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

can I get an amen!!!

Seriously, i've always wondered why people ask questions like that?

Its like asking the Police, "Hey, how do you feel when I drive over the speed limit around 35th street?"

3. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Well... no one said everyone is smart :lol 
    Hopefully when they read this, they will realize something.... hopefully?

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Damn straight.

If everyone told Hasbro about everyone else's custom's, it'd be awful. Things like this only spread. Sure, fans have been recognized for custom work, but sometimes it's just ridiculous what some people say.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Nevermore, a breath of intelligent air, as always.

Unfortunately at venues like BotCon, there will always be "That Guy" who's clearly been living in a cave by himself for the last fifteen years, but still knows enough about the latest internet gossip to ask the cringe-inducing-questions that the rest of the community has either put to rest, or else knows to avoid (like this).

Hopefully we can, through our behaviour, keep "Uncle Hasbro" in their sleep of (I'm presuming feigned) ignorance....

D/L

6. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I dont think there are any customs/garage kits that hasbro doesnt know about. If they have a problem with it they would destroy those companies making profit off of their product.

7. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    While I understand the intention of this thread, do you really think Hasbro doesn't have its eyes on the internet and TF's dedicated sites? Point- They know about this stuff before the conventions even come around and before douche-X has the chance to even ask so, asking douche-X to stop bringing it to their attention is a little silly, really.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I get that bringing them directly to Hasbro's attention means they can't pretend not to know about them; but I can't get past the stupidity of asking the same question over and over and over again. What, do you somehow expect the answer will be different this time? That their stance will have changed? Just like hearing the same general thing over and over again because it comforts you to sleep at night?? Like, "well, normally that is stealing our intellectual property, but that FP set was so awesome- really put us in our place- that we've gotta give that guy a medal".

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    There's a difference between "Hasbro knowing about stuff" and "explicitly rubbing it into Hasbro's face".

The difference is that Hasbro can decide to turn two blind eyes on things their design team likes and which makes the creator about 2$ profit per sold unit. It's just not worth the legal team's hassle.

Once you bring that stuff explicitly to Hasbro's attention, however, they may HAVE to take legal action they would otherwise prefer to refrain from.

That's the problem.

10. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    The point here is simple: If we want the very cool add-ons that third-parties sell, Hasbro need to have deniability of their existence. "We didn't know about that one" is what Hasbro obviously want to say about a lot of the stuff or they would have slapped a law suit on the makers. Let's allow Hasbro to be able to keep on saying that flimsy denial (even though they access this site and others and know full well about the products out there in an unofficial way).

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Nevermore this is simple a question of asking people to engage brain before they engage mouth or keyborad. I agree it shouldn't be that hard to do but well common sense aint all that common.

12. newguy

newguy i

:lol  your funny, but i dig the open mind.

13. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    I agree with this completely. The problem is those well meaning, but misguided twits that think if only these fanbased add-ons are brought to Hasbros attention enough times, Hasbro will make them. Unfortunately that isn't gonna happen. As stated many times, Hasbro does production in millions of units, not the several thousand units places like FP do. There simply isn't enough demand in Hasbro's opinion to warrant production. Now they may not care if Fansproject makes 10-15,000 City Commander units, but as the OP said, if you keep bugging them about it, they will tell them to knock it off.

Just another case of the law of unintended consequences.......

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Technically this is toy discussion so this belongs there. Read the sticky Nevermore! :p 

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Well said, Nevermore, I never understood the motive or naivety of some people.

16. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I wish this could be a sticky on the boards to help bring awareness to the ignorant.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It's kind of like when you were at school and it's 2:55 pm on a Friday and that one kid says, "Teacher, you forgot to give us homework."

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I don't know if you need permission to make iPhone cases or charger kit.
    But if you produce an oversized or mini iPhone, obviously there will be trouble, whether or not some fan asks Apple about it.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I thought when fans start talking to Hasbro all they hear from us is that 'Bwah Rah Brah' sound the teacher in Charlie Brown makes.
    It's okay because at 3:01pm that kid will be upsidedown in a dumpster. :) 

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have been trying to figure out the right words for this, thank you.