Stockholm Syndrome with the Decepticons

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RedWolf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Dylan's behavior seems so inexplicable that he is willing to sell humanity.

When the bridge stopped he could have just got the hell away from there but no he had to fix it.

Then it struck me. He is so damn chummy with Soundwave. That basically he called "What the Hell Villain" on him with keeping prisoners. Sure BB shooting at him played part on that but he pretty much understood Soundwave.

He and Soundwave are the evil counterparts to Sam and BB.

He did say to Sam that "He wasn't the only who chosen to join an alien cause".

Here is what I think happened to Dylan. Soundwave was probably around for most of his life and he developed Stockholm Syndrome with Soundwave.

Though he does think Megatron is a dick.

2. Zuri1337

Zuri1337 Well-Known Member

I would join the Decepticons willingly, if given the choice. I think McDreamy was simply choosing the deliciously evil transformers over the boy scouts.

3. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I might think it's perhaps less Stockholm Syndrome (although it may play a factor, re: Soundwave, as you say) but rather a case of "I'm in this deep now." And a realisation that, by this point, if the Decepticons lost he'd no doubt be jailed, or very likely executed for treason. Like he said, a future where the Decepticons rule the world is his "only future". Remember, he wasn't nobody. He was a big shot -and his betrayal was out, so people would eb gunning for him, even if he betrayed the cons at the last moment.

4. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The IDW short story Convergence makes it clear Dylan's dad introduced him to Soundwave and Laserbeak as children. I love this sentence:

"Soundwave recognized the look. He'd seen it before when he'd met Lord Megatron. Gould just wanted money: the boy wanted power."

5. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

See, to me, in DOTM Dylan didn't come off as evil. He came off as douchey.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This, if only just to have the chance to work with Barricade.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Shit, really? Now THAT is interesting - a human being in the company of Decepticons since their early years. If only the film explored the relationship between Soundwave and Dylan more deeply.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its also possible that he simply sees the power of the Decepticons and doesn't see any other option than cooperation, whether he identifies with the cause or not. He can work for them, and get money and power, or he can work against them, in which case he will be brutally killed by the Decepticons when they find out, or he will be enslaved and/or brutally killed by the Decepticons when they take over (which seems likely to him), or he will be arrested and tried for astro-espionage in the (to him) remote possibility they lose, whereupon he will likely be executed and/or made destitute. It is also possible he will be brutally killed by the Decepticons if he continues to collude with them, for one reason or another.

Basically, he'd just be making the best of his situation, but I like the concept put forward in the comic.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think he's more of the "It's too late to go back.", he fears both the outrage of society and the outrage of the Decepticons far too much to return to the "goody" side.

There's even one scene where Sam asks him why he's doing this and Dylan answers something like "What else can I do?" On the pillar scene, made me feel quite sad for the guy.

10. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    i think it would have been cool if he survived and then ran off. it would be like the Nefarious comic. he would run off, try and use tf tech to create more tfs or control them, as a fourth movie. rebuild meg's head and attach it with the tech he has.

far fetched, but i can see it happening......if he survived.

11. Irony

Irony fangirl

He was the only human concerned of Cybertron. Of the home and hope of Transformers.
    (Contrast: some people at NEST have even lied to the Autobots and they were willing to get rid of them in both the second and third films.)

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I also remember a line (could've been the same scene) when he has a sad resigned look on his face and says his reward is to "not get killed."

13. Irony

Irony fangirl

...Which could have worked if there wasn't war. Only, he forgot, there WAS one.

Anyway, how comes Dylan's family was working for the Cons for decades, having influence on NASA, but the Con masterspies working side by side with them (Soundwave, Laserbeak) have never even heard of Sector Seven and had no idea where the Allspark or Megatron might have been for years?