stock photos

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by galvascream, Dec 20, 2009.

1. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    you'd think if they designed the tfs they'd know what the look lke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Um...what?

If you're talking about mis-transformations, Starscream and Prime look fine, and ROTF Sideswipe doesn't look too bad. There's only one step missing, and at least they got him to stand up.

3. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Only Classics Sideswipe is noticeable at first glance

4. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the people who take the pictures have nothing to do with the design and building of the toy. They're just given the final product and told to take the pictures, probably without instructions. They have no idea what the toy is supposed to look like.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which Hasbro should seriously look into solving. Either send instructions, have the design team take a few photos of how it should look (the photographer just takes a nicer shot), or have a member of the design team on hand to transform it right. These photographs are marketing for Hasbro. It is in their best interest to get the toys looking the best they can. They could be loosing sales due to bad photographs. If I was just casually into TF, I'd sure pass on Sideswipe if that image was what I was judging on.

For the photographer, it is just plain unprofessional to just make random guesses on if a product is right. If they don't know, ask questions. While it isn't the same for movie TFs, most TF do comform to human proportions. So it would seem that Sideswipe isn't right if his arms are down where his stomach would be.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

While I agree that Hasbro's stock photos are pretty bad at times, I can't put full blame on the photographers. They're hired to do one thing, take pictures. What Hasbro needs to do is have someone on hand who knows the design of the damn thing. I'm not saying a member of the design team (because they're mostly in Japan), but they should have someone.

At least 3 of the 4 up there weren't so bad. Sideswipe looks like Goro without the top set of arms, but the other 3 are negligible.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Universe Sideswipe looks like he got in a horrible accident.

8. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the people who design the figures don't take the pictures. totally different department.

9. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The toy designers don't take the photos.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Those are excellent suggestions, and I'd bet the photographers would welcome the assistance to make their subjects look their best. They probably have logistical challenges, like having to shoot dozens of Hasbro products each day. They likely barely have the time to figure out the transformation themselves, let alone experiment with articulation and posing for hours. When I'm shooting a toy it can take an hour for setup, lighting and experimenting with poses. Must be frustrating to not be able to spend that time.

12. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    they should

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That takes them away from designing toys though.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The toy designers likely don't have degrees in photography and/or lighting techniques, equipment, a studio, etc. at their disposal. A $100 digital camera does not make one a professional photographer nor will it garner them professional results. Plus, putting the onus on individual departments to photograph their own designs is a huge waste of resources and money when the end result has little impact on the sale of the item. Common sense has never been a strong point of internet uproars over minor and meaningless trivialities.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I design art for t-shirt screen printing. And then when I get a moment I have to do upkeep on the company website. Then when someone has an issue with a file or program, I have to help them out. Then someone in the back needs help mixing a color. When you starting multi-tasking like a muther******, mistakes will happen.

More or less this problem with mistransformations is a product of the photographers not having enough time to do what they need to do. Like Joe Moore said, It isn't like taking a picture of the family in front of a cake. Lighting, Test Shots, Angles...there is a lot of time involved in every aspect. But while I agree it's not neccessarily the photographers fault, someone with the toyline should have to okay this stuff before the official pictures get released.

16. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Wow. None of those figures are transformed correctly. They really need to have instructions handy when taking pictures.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    For all we know they do. If you've been told you need to turn in decent pictures of somewhere around 2 dozen different items, and you're given an afternoon to do it in, then you won't spend a lot of time figuring the instructions out. It takes a lot of time to set up a shot. Consider, you've got 2 dozen to do, and each can take about 15 minutes or so, plus getting different angles (because I'm sure there's a lot of pictures rejected, etc). I've done pictures for the resources section on here, and my photos are no where near professional level. It still took me all night to photograph a couple of dozen Mini-Cons.

Imagine, then, taking pictures of a similar number of toys, but more complex - there's simply not the time to get every picture 100% right.

And looking back at the older official images, it seems that the quality of the transformation in the official photos has improved.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good point, Sol. The stock photos used to be a lot worse.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, they shouldn't.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I've done Mighty Muggs pics among other things for the toy galleries here as well, and it takes a while to take enough pics to choose from. Like Sol said, I am no way a professional at it either. But it took me about an hour + just for one gallery of 20 pics. You got to adjust lighting, check your angle, Check your focus. Then check out a few photos on the computer and make sure the quality is good.

Then you gotta set aside an hour to check out the photos to discard bad, or out of focus ones. Then another hour to correct/enhance the photos. And that is all without an actual transforming toy. So Imagine how much time is involved with a professional who has to get it perfect. It's the first time he has seen the toy and for all he knows, he has transformed it perfectly.