Stock Market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tusko, Nov 12, 2008.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Anyone following the historic movement of the stock market?

I'm following GE which I always thought was a bell-weather stock. Ya know, its just such a large company and so diversified nothing can really make it move significantly. Its currently at a record low and falling. What is going on?

Anyway, I'm starting this tread to share thoughts about this very odd and historic event happening in the financial system. I'm also watching Hasbro just incase their stocks fall below the price of TF basics.

Let me know what shocks you and when you think it'll hit bottom.

Thanks!

This thread potentially can easily become political, which is not the intent of my post. So please think before you post and lets not worry about what should be done or who is doing what to fix it!

I'm just fascinated by how much wealth has disappeared and how companies that were seemingly stable have become so unhinged.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I have a low-risk investment plan. It involves all my money being kept in rolls of pennies stored in a plastic bag under my bed.

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I follow the markets very closely. I don't think we will hit bottom until mid '09. Also it depends on how you are defining "bottom". If you are talking about the DJIA then yeah, I think we are a few months from it. Probably late January. Some industries will start rebuilding then. Others will take a few months more. Some, like housing probably won't hit bottom until mid to late '09 IMO.

Hasbro is going to be hit somewhat hard this christmas period so I wouldn't recommend purchasing Hasbro stock until after Q4 results are out. Probably even after Q1 '09. I *would* however purchase some, if you are in a position to do so, before TF2 or GI*Joe comes out.

4. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    this.

I suggest waiting until Hasbro is at what seems to be its lowest, and then buy as much as you can afford. Then simply wait until the summer movies hit and watch the monies roll in.

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Without getting into specifics, I'd look for it to drop, rise some, and then drop again for some time, possibly longer than a year. Anything more would require me to get into history, politics, economic theory and other things generally not allowed here.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Yeah.... so you're all saying this is just the start.

I just can't see it falling anymore. I don't see where it has to go. When GM is rated at going to zero.... its a bit tough to think worse than that.

As for Hasbro, I think TF2 will do well, but I currently don't have a lot of confience for GiJoe. I think it might fall in to Mortal Combat realms of fun, but not I'll give you all my moneys fun. I just think it would be fun to own a piece of Optimus Prime. Maybe a big toe bolt or something.

I just see a lot of base materials companies, mines and chemical plants that must be worth more than what their stocks are going for. I know there is a massive sell off and thus the low price but they seem to me to be such a bargan only to loose 10% day after day.

Wacky.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I mean it'll go up and down, up and down, a lot over the next year or so.

8. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I have my 401k going into discover card stock. I work there and get the stock at a discount. And all signs point to them surviving this. Soooio I'm buying low now and hoping for the best.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    With more companies going bankrupt, itll keep falling. Im just watching oil right now, zoom zoom zoom. Invest in Soy brotha

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have a rather complicated and diverse 401K. I know I should change some things, but it is over my head. I studied art in college.

I am putting as much as I can into it, and I get matched 100% at the end of the fiscal year.

That equates to no money for toys:( 

I cannot even afford a financial advisor. I am just starting to get a credit history, and I'm 28. Bad time to start, I guess...

11. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Just because oil is going down doesn't necessarily mean oil companies will be hurting. It wasn't too long ago that the head of Royal Dutch/Shell has gone on record (during an OPEC meeting if I'm not mistaken) and said they have no problems churning big profits on $40/barrel oil.

If there's a certainty that Hasbro stock will slide between now and before TF2 hits, wouldn't it be a more prudent recommendation to "short" the stock, then "cover" it before the two movies hit (and Hasbro's stock supposedly rises)?

No good a time as the present; besides, with most stocks being unfairly unpunished, it's probably no better time to start a nest egg than now.

I'm hoping a turnaround will slowly come around the spring of '09; by then the major hedge funds would've finished all of the selloffs and the various stimulus packages from different countries would start taking some effect.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

I didnt say oil companies are going bankrupt, I meant other companies like GM, Linens N things, Mervins, Circuit City, etc. as they keep falling so will the market. Prices of oil will go down due to demand, but yes, oil companies will continue to reap gains.

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I find your use of jargon commendable, but I don't think there's any certainty in anything right now.

14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. People can say what they want, some will be right, some wrong.

Hot Rodimus said it right. It will go up and it will go down. That's life.

I'm the Treasurer of a Hedge Fund and world economists can't even come up with a straight answer. These are geniuses, too. Not guys on the street reading a newspaper or CNN.

If you have GE, stick with it for the long run. It's gonna suck for a bit, but it will come back. The US isn't going to let that company go broke.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm beginning to feel that we're due for a second Great Depression. Let's just hope that it doesn't occur, because if that happens... well, I really don't want to think what would happen to me and my family...

16. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I think we are far from a great depression again. Just a bad recession to shake off the cobwebs and contract the economy a bit.

I'm following Marvel and Hasbro on the daily markets and its amazing that they are holding their own while seemingly useful companies (companies that do stuff) are tanking. I don't know what the social commentary is there.

17. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I may chime in here a moment and expound upon the recent bailouts and such. Our federal budget deficit for Fiscal Year 2008 will be over $1 Trillion Dollars, the first time in US history. People are asking where's the money coming from? The recent bailout money DOES NOT EXIST!! The Feds are simply printing more currency to pay these failing corporations. AS the feds currently print more and more money that has NO wealth attached to it, an economic phenoma occurs called seigniorage. The result is all existing money prior to the printing of the currency devalues, and inversely the prices of all goods that it purchases, HAS to go up. This is what has caused the nominal value of the dollar to go down in recent years, becuase we have printed so damn much of it recent years. Thus, a vicious cycle commences as the treasury notes are sold to investors, we have to pay interest on it next year and subsequent years. Failure to do so, will lower our credit rating (the US govt's). The first symptom of all this bailout money will be an implicit inflation tax, the price of all goods will sharply increase as the dollar continues to lower in value. The first trillion dollars in federal debt we have accumulated as a Republic took several hundred years, the last trillion dollars of fed debt has taken the last 2 months. This is unsustainable.

If you have some time, I strongly suggest watching an excellent series of videos, that clearly outlines the major problems our nation is facing over the next one hundred years.

The Crash Course | Chris Martenson

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i got stocks through work but i dont follow it...all i know is that my stocks worth have been slowly decreasing :( 

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

If this is true, then Ill have my sack of door knobs and crowbar ready for the looting.

20. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Thank you all for posting.

Lots of interesting ideas and experiences posted. Its a touchy subject so thank you for sharing.

I just read that GE has been knocked down to 1996 levels. Pretty wild. And scientist say there is no time travel. Heck, there should be mint G1s on the shelves if these conditions keep up.