Customs: Sticky Paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aprim, Jun 29, 2009.

1. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I been painting with House of Kolors (Kustom Kolors) and I let the parts dry.
    But the paint seems a little sticky.

Now I primed and cleaned all the parts before I started painting.
    Im using a air brush so its nice and even.

Its a Lacquer paint so I'm using a Lacquer thinner. When I seal the parts, will the stickyness go away?

Thanks

2. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Err maybe your coats are too thick? Try using thinner coats of paint, and give more drying time. I think lacquers take a few days (maybe a week) to fully cure. I haven't had any experience on this so you might wanna wait for other people's feedback.

Oh, and the weather may also affect how the paint goes on. It's best to spray paint during hot/dry weather.

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

like mampy said, it might be the weather. 70 degrees is a great temp. to paint at. i'm not sure what the conditions are like where you are air brushing.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, climate pays a huge factor. in the dry warm climate of San Diego, I could paint base coats and they'd be dry in minutes. Here in humid Jersey, I can wait a full day for some to dry...

5. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I painted them Outside, it was about 80 degrees, but most of them died pretty quick. It the damn hands, I think I over coated them. To think.

ANaything I can do? I still have to touch it up, still some white showing aroound the knuckkes but I dont want to paint it again untill its dry.

6. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    If you over-coated some (or most) of the areas you might want to consider stripping all the paint off and doing it again so you can get better results overall. Most people here would recommend 90% alcohol for stripping paint. I've never found anything above 70% here in my country so I can't tell you how well that works. :)