Stickers: Original vs. Fake

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 2punish&enslave, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I've been looking at a lot of TF auctions lately and I'm noticing some sticker sets that look exactly like the original versions such as this one
    Transformers G1 Megatron Sticker Decal Sheet | eBay

The Reprolabels brand sheets are laid out differently than the original versions but ones such as the one I linked seem identical to the old ones. How can you tell what is original and what isn't?

I'd like to buy "original" G1 TFs but with the quality of the knock offs (figures, boxes, and stickers) it seems to be getting harder and harder to know what truly is original.

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

If you are starting to collect G1 figures now,,,goodluck!!! Do your research or you will pay for worthless knockoffs. Reprolabels are pretty close to the real thing. At first there was resistance from purest when it came to repro stickers because people were selling original sticker sheets as high as $40. Most of the community accept reprolabels as the best alternative for decals anyway because most of the old decals no longer stick well.

3. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    What I'm wondering though is how you can tell the knockoff sticker sheets from the real ones? They look identical to me. The Reprolabels brand stickers are laid out differently on the sheet from the originals but these KOs (Chinese I assume) look identical to the old ones. Once the stickers have actually been applied to the toy I imagine it's virtually impossible to tell the difference then.

4. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just ask the seller. If he is customer friendly, you should get a response. Then again he could lie straight to your face. If they are selling more then one chances are they are repros. I've puchased from reprolabels a set for my Predaking while having the G1 originals as well. Besides the layout and the factory applied stickers, the only difference I've noticed is the reprolabels have a slight print pattern on the paper. It may be from the print process or the stock used but I couldn't tell ya for sure. This may just be my indiviual set, so don't expect to see this on all of them. Overall the stickers are great and I could get the whole set together rather than looking for each one individually. Good luck!

5. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    Unless the seller is the original owner I'm thinking that they may not even know.

6. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Are you buying them to apply, or store in the box? If your applying them, KOs are almost identical to originals and will virtually indistinguishable from the originals. If your buying to complete a MIB figure, sometimes the boarders are cut a little off, and often crooked. Other than that, they tried really hard to make these look legit, and did. Honestly your taking your chances on ebay.