Sticker removal

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DillWeasel, Dec 30, 2008.

1. DillWeasel

DillWeasel Member

I have some G1 figures that I would like to re-sticker at some point with some Reprolabels. Some of the stickers have come off, while others are on but curled quite badly. How does one go about removing the old stickers so the new ones will stick well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    You need to make sure the surface is clean & free of any residue from the old stickers.

Warm water and soap with an old toothbrush is where I start.
    If that doesn't work, I gradually try harsher chemicals, usually a citrus cleaner (Goo Gone), and then lighter fluid (Ronsonol), in that order.

3. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Get a bottle called Goo Gone. You can purchase it at TARGETs and WALL-MARTs. Good product for sticker removal.

4. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    I always try to peel them off with my fingernails first, then use Goo Gone. That stuff is magic!

5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I concur; just dribble a little goo gone on the sticker and give it a minute or so to soak in, then the sticker should peel right off...It's also handy for removing stray marks, permanent marker, and sticker residue. It's not terribly caustic and won't damage plastic or paint unless you really grind it in.

6. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

I'm sure about 90% of the members on here will tell you Goo Gone.It is a very good product.I would aply it to a soft shammy cloth then rub it off.I never use a tooth brush or anything that will scratch or marr the plastic.It is about $5.00 a bottle and is good for all kinds of things around the house.Make sure you clean the areas off with some soap and water when you are done though.You never want to leave the residue on your bots.

7. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I use 90% rubbing alcohol on plastic pieces. Works like a charm. DO NOT USE IT ON PAINTED PARTS HOWEVER.

8. DillWeasel

DillWeasel Member

Thanks for the help, I really apprecaite it.

9. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

After I use Goo Gone, I clean off all residue with rubbing alcohol. I don't know what the long term effects of Goo Gone is on plastic (especially white plastic), but I wouldn't want to take a chance on anything (i.e. yellowing etc.)

10. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Actually the process depends on what results you want.

I find for transplanting decals, took a junker diaclone smokescreen and tranplanted parts and decals to reissue. A hair dryer is perfect. Preferably one that has a nozzle to point and concentrate heat. Warm the decal and the glue gets "activated" and use women's precision tweezers (Revlon brand is good). To peel off decal. It's better to try using an exacto knife to lift decal if possible. Note that peeling the decal will cause curling.