Sticker Application

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Midnight, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Transformer toys nowadays have moved past this but older stuff and the reissues still use it.

I was thinking recently about my Classics Soundwave reissue and the insane attention that went into putting his stickers on.They look perfect but only because I was so crazy careful.It was annoying.

Remember being a kid and applying the stickers but they looked like crap?

What does everyone else think.

Is it fun or torture?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I love putting the stickers on toys. I take my time with them; trim them properly before applying them. I grew up collecting G1 (stickers), GI Joe (stickers) & Zoids (ridiculous amounts of stickers in some cases), which probably explains it.

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Stickers were put of the fun, back when I were a lad. Is that nostalgia I smell? :)  Stuff like applying the stickers, reading the techspec, and using the accessories was all part of playing with a TF back then.

Part of the thing with stickers was getting them right, and getting better at putting them on straight etc; so looking at the instructions or matching things to the artwork, and just having a bit of care & patience - useful things to partly learn thru play, I guess! I remember being very sure to do my stickers "right" on the likes of Optimus, Prowl and Inferno..

Seem to have gone the other way now, ironically. For example, I prefer my MP Skywarp without the stickers that came with it - it just looks better, IMO.

4. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    There was a time when I was simply atrocious at applying stickers to my G1s - simply atrocious... *shakes head* But after plenty of trial & error (& advice from the net), I learned patience & developed a steady hand. Because without decent sticker-applying skills, there are certain G1s that would just look nekkid without them... heh (eg. The Seekers need their eyes & Star Convoy needs his stripes).

Then again, God Ginrai can be excruciating for even an advanced sticker-applying expert... :lol 

5. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate it. As careful as I alwys am I always screw up towards the end.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i love the stickers, probably from nostalgia, but they were part of the fun of opening a new tf

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Absolutely love stickering them up, both for the nostalgia, and for that added personal touch of making them mine. Unapplied can be a deal breaker for me.

8. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Never really bought G1 figures, but I can say that I'm not a fan of stickers in general. I made my fair share of Gundam models and I hated that part with a passion. Maybe I'd be better at it now, but I doubt it :) .

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm doing a major project on my G1 right now, having picked up dozens of Reprolabels. Should keep me occupied through year's end. Removing the old ones is even more tedious than applying the new ones, but it's a lot of fun when I'm in the mood for it.

10. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I love putting them on. As a kid I hated them, only because I didn't have a steady hand at the time; therefore, I can relate to those who don't enjoy applying them.

After doing scale model work and customs for over 15 years, I totally enjoy applying stickers and decals.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this! and even if they weren't quite perfect it made it your own and gave it a subtle originality that made one of a kind

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Love stickers from the old G1 days and kinda miss the fun of getting a new figure and applying them. Modern TFs tend to look a bit plain now there's no stickers.
    That said I'm less inclined to apply the stickers to ones I get these days. I wish the window strips and faction logos on Encore Sky Lynx had been tampoed on so I could get the full effect of his look without messing up his sticker sheet. And I recently got some TF from a car boot sale that came with their sticker sheets intact and unapplied and I'm still undecided on if I want to crack the sheets and apply them. Reprolables is one alternative option but then I have a sheet of perfectly good vintage stickers right here for free. I have no intention of selling these figures and I know they'll look much better with the stickers applied, but something is stopping me from doing so.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    They were part of the fun. But if I get new TF's that have stickers, I just leave them off. Now for tge G.I. Joe and Star Wars vehicles, I put the stickers on.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Yes. The sitckers were applied poorly when I was little. :) 

15. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Didnt the original Power Ranger Megazord need stickers?

I seem to remember that.

The finished product is what I love but the applying of the stickers is still torturous.

Like I said,Soundwave looks awesome when done.

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    OMG I hate applying stickers!
    They're always perfect when I'm done but while I'm applying them I get very annoyed.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They're great until they start to peel (especially if they're going around a curve), the ink rubs off or they get scratched.

18. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I've always loved applying stickers to my Transformers and other toys even since I was a little kid. I have a pretty good eye for detail so have always been pretty good at it.
    I agree that applying the stickers yourself gives your toy a small sense of being unique that I've always really liked.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I love the stickers. I guess it's just a feeling of doing something to put some hard work into making the figures look right with all those stickers. The only real G1 figure I've had the pleasure of applying stickers to was a Re-issue Prowl which didn't have any of the stickers applied (save one mirrored Autobot logo), and even though I used Reprolabels, it was neat seeing the color get added to the figure (the blue lights did wonders in my opinion of the toy's look).

I still get the same joy even with the other sticker sets. Putting on the stickers in the Reprolabel movie upgrade sets for Barricade and Incinerator just seemed to add more to the figures than before.

20. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    This. But I haven't had that much experience, due to not being born during G1 and not buying Reprolables that much, so what do I know.