Minor/Repaint: Steven Universe Transformers Crossovers Shapeways Kits

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Shockblade501, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Shockblade501

Shockblade501 Well-Known Member

I may be a little late to the party with Combiner Wars being very over, but I've been putting a lot of work into a concept for Steven Universe Transformers.

I'm doing this for many reasons, firstly Transformers and Steven Universe have many similarities and parallels such as being an alien race who have taken their war to earth, being essentially a single gendered race (while also sexless), can change between multiple forms, but most importantly the similarities between fusion and combination! I think that the similarities allow this crossover to be at least a fun one. Another reason is that aside from Funko Pop and blind bag figures, Steven Universe has no actual toys. Plus it's among my favorite cartoons.

The Combiner Wars molds can really lend themselves to this concept (I know, repainted and remolded too many times already) but I would really like to know if anyone else is interested in this idea. I'll be making these Shapeways kits as a passion project but I could make them publicly available if anyone was also interested.

My designs are currently going to be:
    -Garnet from Hotspot (big strong core bot for a big strong character
    -Amethyst from Jumpstream/Breakdown because it's fast and stocky
    -Pearl from Groove (mostly because of her 2 wheeled mech robot)
    -Peridot from Stormclash/Skyburst/Alpha Bravo (a helicopter perfectly emulates her flying limb enhancer ability, and the legs look remarkably similar to her boots)
    -Lapis Lazuli from Air Raid (the wing placement emulates her water wing ability)

I'm going to make a new combiner chest and the combiner head will be the Temple Fusion, but I'll probably model an Alexandrite one as well. I'll give all of the bots new heads, and their iconic weapons (or for peridot and lapis, various limb enhancers and water wings respectively) and some will get new chests or other parts, and of course a new paint scheme. I'm also designing it so the weapons all combine in fusion mode, or alternatively Garnet's fists can be used as the combiner hands!

I know all these base figures are hardly readily available anymore, but it's not gonna stop me from tracking them down. Please do let me know if you're interested in this project, even if just as a fun idea, it would go great lengths to help keep me motivated. I'll post progress as it comes of course, thanks for reading!
    3D model WiP photos!
    Garnetron!
    IMG_20170721_213526577.jpg
    Edit: Original sketches for retooled part-time
    IMG_20170715_223146550.jpg IMG_20170715_223155790.jpg IMG_20170715_223238358.jpg IMG_20170715_223823554.jpg
    IMG_20170715_223334711.jpg IMG_20170715_223300255.jpg
    first proof of concept sketch
    Garnet
    IMG_20170714_204755880.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017 at 12:37 AM
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    shit, buy the victorion set and you have 3/5 of the base molds

3. Shockblade501

Almost did just that but decided to track down hotspot just for his chunkier fists :D  I also secured g2 air raid so I can use a little less paint

4. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Shut up and take my money

• Like Like x 4
  5. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Legends-sized Groove or deluxe Groove? I have one that I was in the process of repainting, but I've kind of given up on that, if you're looking for a Groove to mess around with and want to pay less.

6. Shockblade501

Deluxe groove, I got one way back during the "May Mayhem" thing that turned out not so fruitful. I didn't have any other Defensor bots so he's gonna be customized instead

7. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

I once joked about Rose and Jasper being the equivalent of Zakus since Quartz types are just general purpose soldiers with minor variations.

Then we got to Amethyst, at which point I joked she'd be the result of a field repair where they had to weld the feet directly to the upper thighs.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Shockblade501

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Shockblade501

Here's my first proof of concept image for Garnet (sorry it had to be on lined paper) I did my best to keep the proportions as close to the actual Combiner Wars Hotspot as possible to show what the actual product would look like. New parts featured are new head, chest, and fist weapons! IMG_20170714_204755880.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor JaAmS

awesome, cant wait for more! ill be watching this.

Edit: I just remembered this. there is a person on deviantart who has actually done up pictures of this concept. (using CW TF molds as SU characters) you wouldn't happen to be basing this off of those would you? or is this is case of great minds thinking alike? either way i can't wait to see this.

I'll send you a link if you want. Might help you along the way if you haven't seen them already.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. Shockblade501

I actually did find those (unless it's a different one) after I drew up my initial concepts of parts I'd have to model. And I was a little staggered that almost all the mold choices were even the same as mine, except Garnet was Onslaught and Amethyst was Dustup I think. Made me feel a little unoriginal, but I did come to the idea convergently. It also happened a couple years ago in college when I had to model something for my 3d final and I thought surely nobody has done a mashup of the Xenomorph from alien and an Omega Metroid from Metroid II... Sure enough I decided to do a search to see how original I was and there were 2 or 3 others who did the same thing. It happens. But with this idea I can sleep soundly knowing that I'm the only one putting it into plastic, with physical space and such, to my knowledge anyway.

12. DrOblivian

yep that's the one, the nearly identical molds is what made me think you might have been basing off of that. Small world i guess! though at the same time, if i had to pick molds for those specific gems i think i would probably go with those exact ones as well. They just FIT so well.

Though for Amethyst I think i would have gone with the truck mold. All that hair she has would fit quite well up in the hood. In every mode it's basically just a giant hollow cavity.

13. Shockblade501

Yeah I know I'm going to have a difficult time as the breakdown mold has the least head clearence. I think I'll have to go with a helmeted sort of look (possibly even make an insert that plugs into the backpack to replicate her hair). But I chose Jumpstream because her chest already had a perfect spot for Amethyst's gem so I don't have to redo the chest as well
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Pinpoint Doodle User#3

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I will buy this!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shockblade501

Thanks for the support guys!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shockblade501

Finally got back to my notebook with my initial concept sketches. Informal, has some notes on them. I'm going to upload a couple each day and maybe even get some feedback. Here's Garnet and Amethyst. All are not final designs and subject to change. For instance in this one for Garnet I will likely make alternate combiner heads for Alexandrite, Sardonyx, Opal, Sugalite, and Smoky Quartz(the breakdown mold has an extra port when the legs split, which means as an arm it can do the whole split into 2 arms at the elbow thing!{I'll make a sure amethysts whip and stevens shield can combine into the yo-yo for that}) Amethysts design may need some work, but like I stated previously, I don't have a lot of room to work with. IMG_20170715_223146550.jpg IMG_20170715_223155790.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

I was wondering if something like this existed but I wrote it off. I'm glad you're proving me wrong! I would totally buy this if it was released. As is, keep up the good ideas!

• Like Like x 1
  18. DrOblivian

yo those sketches look dope!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shockblade501

Glad to see everyone's liking it! More on the way!

20. Shockblade501

Here's my original concept for Pearl! I'm actually very pleased with the head design on this one. She'll come with 2 spears; one normal and one with 5mm ports to connect everything in combined mode(I think I may give the second spear the little upgrade prongs that Bismuth added on) I also have a quick sketch of the combined weapon. Pearls spears will make the shaft of the hammer, garnets fists plug into the second spear, and I decided to incorporate Amethysts whip by having it tab on all the way across the sides and top to add "gem spikes" all over! IMG_20170715_223238358.jpg IMG_20170715_223823554.jpg

• Like Like x 3