Steven Saleen Flames GM!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ganymede2010, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I have a Ford Mustang and a Nissan Frontier. The Ford only has 69,000 miles on it but I keep waiting for it to fall apart.

2. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    You shouldn't have bought one then.

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pass what? the gravy?

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Originally, Prowl was designated as the Saleen, but Bay and the writers wanted it switched around. I support the decision. The car plain looked mean.

5. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    The Saleen cars have always looked good, but the simple fact that they are based on the Ford Mustang makes them the equivilant of spray painting a cowpie. I used to own a mustang, so at least I know what I'm talking about on the cowpie part. Keep my Audi every day of the week.

6. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I agree partially, due of what other people have said with the recent quality problems that Toyota had in recent times.

7. Roddimus Prime

Roddimus Prime Destined For Greatness

as far as i knew saleens work the motors more the mustang in transformers is actually supercharged as compared to fords naturally aspirated engines which is what they do alot of and i was always of the belief they don't just stick to fords

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'll be honest I don't see why people stop calling it a Ford and start calling it a Saleen if all Saleen do is aftermarket tuning (although they do sound as if they do FANTASTIC stuff) then why does it become their car rather than Ford's?

9. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    sorry gordon it's still a ford no matter how you slice it.
    saleen has been around since 1963

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That was my point: I don't understand why they call them Saleen Mustangs when they're a Ford vehicle, regardless of who does the aftermarket tuning.

11. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    not sure why they do that for... i call chevrolet chevys
    everyone does i think

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Chevy is (to my mind) an abbreviation of Chevrolet. Nothing lost there.

Lets use an example I've seen. There is a Japanese tuning company called Mugen, who I've seen stapling their badge on an Accord Euro which they have tuned, aftermarket.

Still a Honda Accord, after all, Mugen didn't build it. They only worked it. So by that logic it is an Honda Accord Euro, Mugen tuned.

If you buy a Ford Mustang GT and then take it to Saleen and they modify it, it becomes a Ford Mustang GT, tuned by Saleen or some combination of the above. Doesn't make it any less a Ford car.

Not that it matters to me, Saleens are rare imports over here so far that I've noticed, same with Camaros. Can't get too excited about a car I'm not going to see.....ever.

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Sounds like the typical Camaro vs Mustang stuff. It will never change. My family is Toyota and Lexus junkies. 3 Lex SUV's and a SC430. Toyota makes some of the most reliable and well built, boring ass snoozemobiles on the planet. Not since the Supra, or anything before it, have they built anything that would quicken your pulse. Big friggen yawn from me on that. At least Mustang guys like cars with balls, even if they are teeny tiny balls.

14. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

I drive a 91 Mustang LX and quite frankly I love that car heck its even a 4 cylinder. Its not a Ferrari but it just gets the job done.

Saleen does enough to the mustangs to justify a new name. How else would they be so well known by being a shiny emblem stuck a car? Saleen does more than upgrading preexisting cars. Obviously they built the Camaro for GM so they can say all they want about it. GM should be thankfull that they didn't brand their lil pony car.

15. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:

Saleen is an OEM, meaning when they take the mustang body and put their engine in it, and put their susension on it, and put their interior in it, and their body kit on it, and their badges on it, they have to make sure it passes emissions and crash test just like Ford or GM or Honda does. Seems to me given that they have to certify the vehicle as safe for consumers and Ford does nothing, Saleen has the right to call it a Saleen S281E if they want. Think of it more like Ruf who take a bare Porsche chassis and build the car themselves. Sure it looks like a Porsche, but Ruf does all the work and has to pass government regulations themselves. So you are correct, if you buy a Ford Mustang and take it to Saleen you get a Ford Mustand tuned by Saleen. Or you go out and buy a Saleen S281E. Your examples are right, just wrong conclusion. Honda builds the car, you can slap Mugen parts on it. Ford doesn't build the car, Saleen does, Ford just provides a blank canvas, as it were.

16. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Luckily we'll see a lot of Holdens at our shore soon! And why not get excited cars that you will never see? I still like the Maseratis and Bugattis. :) (although I did end up seeing a lot of them at shows and museums but not on the road)

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well we won't see many Bugattis because so far as I know, they're built on request. As for Maserati's, as bizzare as this is, I saw one parked in the shopping centre carpark the other day. I've literally seen more Maserati's than Camaro's now.

If you want a Holden, get an R8 Clubsport. 307kW @ 6000rpm and 550Nm of torque @ 4400rpm from a 6Ltr V8. 6 speed manual transmission.

18. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's kind of like what SLP used to do with Pontiac to make their "Firehawk" brand cars based on Formula/Trans Am Firebirds.

Although, Pontiac used to distribute Firehawks to dealers. I'm not sure Ford Distributes Saleen Mustangs to Ford Dealerships.