Steven Saleen Flames GM!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ganymede2010, Nov 24, 2007.

1. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, this is very interesting. Steven Saleen addresses his Mustang Club and reveals alot of interesting tid bits about the Transformers Movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The short version for those who don't want to watch the entire video.

The mustang was originally going to be the "hero", GM offered 20 million dollars to have them use the camaro instead. The camaro wasn't built yet, and Saleen was asked to make it, it was only a v6.

3. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    i saw that on michael bays site

4. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

I really, really doubt that the saleen was going to be an autobot, where's the logic? Bumblebee as a Saleen Mustang? The rest of the Autobot's are GM's, and Bumblebee would be the only non-GM vehicle?

If you listen to his wording, he doesn't say that Michael Bay's plans were to have the Saleen as a good guy, he says "our plan", as in, Saleen, pitched that idea, and it was shot down.

GM was one of the few companies even interested in doing a Transformers movie, and they helped fund it. Good on GM.

This is just your typical feud of Ford vs Chevy, and he's pouring gas on it in the form of the TF movie.

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's possible that the original idea was to have the mustang be an autobot, but then(just as saleen says in the video) gm threw 20 million dollars at them to make all of the autobots be gm cars. And of course it's just the chevy vs ford thing, it's at a mustang meet, heh. I did wonder why the hell anyone there cared about saleen's s7's winning races in europe. They aren't made by ford, and they aren't even in the same class as the mustang.

I think it's funny the way he mentioned the 20 million, my reaction was "no shit sherlock". If it's still a surprise to anyone that gm paid a few million to paramount, then they need to get their head checked.

6. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

I think that's what happened. GM investing 20 million into the movie to have all the autobots be GM vehicles makes sense, not just the Camaro.

Him gloating that his shop built the fake camaro for the movie is a little weak tho, everyone knows the Camaro was in the early stages of development when the movie was being filmed.

7. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    What IS Saleen anyways? I thought it was just a special edition version of a regular car. Like some Saleen guy comes and puts fancy stripes and lights on it. Or like a Shelby... Aren't they just Mustangs in both cases?

8. Red04Cobra

Red04Cobra Well-Known Member

More or less. Saleen modifies enough vehicles to assign VIN numbers, so in essence, and Saleen Mustang is no longer a Ford, but a Saleen. Saleen sells a bunch of overpriced stuff IMO, and the owners of said vehicles take an elitist stance even against fellow Mustang owners for the most part.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Until they run into a Shelby and are Bitch Slapped

10. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Yeah, I agree. >.>..

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

A-yup!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  12. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    ive noticed that too, hell even amongst the focus ppl though, the SVT ppl think they are sooo much better than the regular focus ppl, and its pretty obvious to everyone that uhhh they all drive focuseses hah.

this whole movie was one big sellout though, i mean yes it was good i cant complain, but i mean from the toys sold to the HD DVD sellout, to the GM sellout....it goes on and on.

13. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

He doesn't sound like he's complaining to me. He just sounds like he's having fun with the Ford vs. Chevy thing.

14. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

I could see the pitch having the Saleen Mustang police car as Prowl- hero cop bot. Bumblebee was probably seen as more of a potential kid-friendly character though.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Any Transformers fiction ever made from cartoons, comic books, storybooks, colouring books, packs of collectable cards ect exist almost soley to promote the Transformers brand name toys in some manner. It's been that way for over 20 years and the movie was no different.

Who cares about GM sponsoring the movie for the Autobots? As stated, very few car companies wanted to be involved with the movie OR Transformers (and it has been this way since Alternators), so it's not like Bay had that much of a choice. And GM provided alot of stuff for Bay to use, not only the Autobots and money, but hundreds of flood damaged cars for him to destroy.

Honestly, I don't get it when fans get on their high horse about Transformers 'selling out' given the entire fictional franchise has always been an advertisement to make you buy something.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The old G1 cartoon (and pretty much every single one since) was basically about selling toys, and you've only just noticed the 'commercial' aspect of TF?

17. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    The short version is that Steve Saleen was pandering to a mustang crowd and trying to make himself look better. Personally I think he came off looking like an idiot.

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I like Chevy and Ford equally. Too bad I can't afford a new Mustang or Camaro... :lol .

It sounded like he was bitter, though. You'd think a rich guy like him would be okay (as in, not complaining) with money changing someone's mind. Sounds like he's all angry about it.

19. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

all American cars suck. and they say support you economy by buying an American car but they are being made in forin countries when Toyotas are being made here.i think all internal combustion engines should be banned! Political discussion is not permitted here. Also lets not get carried away with the cussing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2007
  20. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    optimus there are GM factories in lansing MI, ohio so american made cars don't suck.. toyotas are japanese cars