Steroids in Sports- when a black and white issue becomes grey.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funkatron101, Aug 30, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Should there be any allowance for the use (not abuse) of steroids in professional sports? Most people will emphatically yell "NO!" However, lets look at one scenario that might give this stance a second thought.

UFC fighter Hermes Franca was caught with steroids in his system after his loss to lightweight champion Sean Sherk (who ironically was also busted). Franca, unlike Sherk, fully admitted to taking the steroids and apologized to the UFC and his fans for doing so. He is going to be suspended for 1 year. Seems pretty cut and dry, right? Well lets look at a few things:

A. When an Athlete is Injured
    Franca suffered an ankle injury weeks before the fight. He claimed the steroids he took were an effort to try and heal the injury quicker. Given that he admitted to taking them, and that he has never been busted before, I have no reason to doubt him.

B. Doctor's Prescription
    At this point it is unclear if Franca was actually prescribed the steroids he was caught with. There are a lot of people on the internet claiming to be experts that say what he was caught with isn't prescribed by doctors. I don't know if they are or not, but I know the internet is filled with so called "experts." If they were indeed prescribed, does that change things?

C. Payday
    UFC fighters do not have guaranteed contracts like NBA players. They don't collect a fat pay check when they are injured. These fighters average 3 to 5 fights a year, and many low to mid tier guys make under $20,000 a fight. So lets say a fighter makes $60,000 a year. Seems like a pretty good wage for the average joe, but take out the cost of training, including equipment, and dietary/supplements, and that can quickly go down. If you are unable to fight even 1 fight that year, you may struggle to put food on the table for your family.

D. Window of Opportunity
    Fellow UFC fighter Karo Parysian had a title fight against then UFC champion Matt Hughes. This was his shot at establishing himself as a top tier fighter, and increasing his worth dramatically. Again, weeks before the fight he got injured, and had to bow out of the fight. This is close to two years ago I think, and he has yet to get that title fight. In the world of MMA, you don't get many chances, as there are always other fighters looking to take that top spot. Franca didn't want that opportunity to slip away.

E. Leveling the playing field
    A lot of people are against the use of steroids in order to "level the playing field."
    UFC fighter, and vocal anarchist Jeff Monson had this to say in this regard.

"If it were up to me everything would be legal," said the Washington native. "I don't think they should make anything illegal because you have fighters coming up or body builders or college players, whatever, using $400-500 a month worth of supplements a month that you get at GNC, then you got another guy coming up that can't afford that stuff, so you got an unlevel playing field with that."

"You have the pre-testosterone this and anabolic-booster that -- it's all legal," The Snowman continued. "To me, what's really the difference? That stuff is just as expensive as steroids anyway and not everyone can afford it, not everyone has access to that stuff. Just because it's legal or not legal, who determines that stuff? The government. Some guy in a suit that's never taken it, doesn't know anything about it."

The playing field will never be level, with or without steroids. Genetics play a huge role in determining who is a superior athlete, almost as much as skill.

F. What do we really know about steroids?
    Sure, we've all heard the horror stories, and have been told how dangerous they are, but has this been entirely true? Or, is this part of media hype and sensationalism? This two part video from Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel suggests that we don't know everything about steroids.
    Part 1.

Part 2.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'll share one potential solution to this later.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It is all bullshit.

As long as people are getting paid, there will always be performance enhancing drugs.

3. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Doesn't really address anything I wrote, but thanks?

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's definitely not a simple issue, that's for sure. One thing that I liken it to are psychedelic drugs. I've never used them and I have no desire to - but it's obvious that they've played a huge role in changing and expanding art and music in the past fifty years or so.

On the other hand, Eddie Guerrero (among so many others) died before his time, and it's fairly certain that past steroid use had something to do with it.

5. funkatron101

Ebay:
    But not steroids alone. He had been very open about his abuse of recreational drugs, drinking, and painkillers. I honestly believe that these wrestlers are dying from a combination of these.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think that most of your points are black and white and that steroids should be banned from all professional sports -except for the case of recovering from an injury. But the steroid use and its reason should be declared.
    Steroids have many medical uses all the way to allergy treatment.

I knew a few guys that 'roided up and they got incredible results in just a few week's time. One guy got so big that his deltoids and traps concealed his neck. Then he stopped working out and stopped taking them and in about two months he looked like he had never worked out a day in his life.

7. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, almost all of my points are really contingent on if an athlete is injured, and delves into the reasoning behind the steroid use outside of "He was cheating by getting an unfair advantage" talking point that many people assume. Which to me becomes less black and white.

Again, I am discussing the use, not abuse of steroids in sports.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :( 

It further proves the point that steroid use is a grey issue.

You said it, there is money on the line for these guys and they will do what ever it takes to get back into it.

I think that even at the Olympic level there is a direct monetary gain from athletes using steroids, even though it is against the rules.

Why else would people watch, unless the athletes are getting better?

And this all related to using steroids for sports med too.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Get a real job, you bum!

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Evertime I hear steroids in sports it reminds me of the All Drug Olympics on SNL with Phil Hartman.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In my opinion steroids have no use in sports.

12. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'd say that if an athelete injures himself and chooses to use steroids that have been prescribed by a M.D. that has been approved of by the sport organizations leaders there should be nothing stopping him. Now, I'm no M.D. but as far as I understand, the illegal steroids that really bulk up people are exponentially stronger than the steroids a doctor would prescribe to bring an injured limb back to normal strength.

13. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Honestly, let's just give EVERYBODY in sports steroids. I mean, that would make things even, wouldn't it?

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In the case where a steriod is prescribed by a legitimate doctor for a legitimate reason, then there shouldn't be an issue with it.

Otherwise no. Unless it's some unlimited league. Then let them use speed for all I care.

15. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

I understand how people are like" no steroids its cheating" but do you realize the guy is still working out, its not like he takes roids and he gets big no, he takes roids he gets big because hes working out. The steroids give you the extra "oomf" I think they should let them use roids because, if hes willing to shrink his balls, to gain an extra inch on his arms then hes a true warrior. its a joke.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You make some really good points, but I still disagree with the idea of steroids in sports.
    Then they should see a doctor. Steroids can be a legitimate part of a treatment regimen, but once you start treating yourself, I'm gonna assume you're enhancing, not healing.
    Free and clear. But! Only provided the doctor is legitimately treating injuries in accordance with established protocols. It turns out he's a doc-for-hire like the guys at BALCO, then the doctor's license should be yanked and the athletes looked at very closely.
    They make their choice. They choose to risk sparse paychecks for they own reasons--and when they make that choice, they're agreeing to abide by all the rules, not just the ones that give them a shot at the title match.
    Again, this is a choice they make. If they want something safe and secure, they should get a job with a union. I realize there are risks inherent in the profession, but there are large potential benefits also.
    Along with environment, sure, both play a considerable role who the superior athlete is. And who makes more money in life, and who gets the better looking girl, and a hundred other things. That's life. That'll always be life. The right way to deal with that is working harder to be better than the guy who was born with the advantage. Then you've really earned your victory. I don't think that using steroids earns a victory.
    That they're potentially very useful. And that they're also very dangerous, especially when dosed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. And if they're going to be used, I'd prefer that it isn't a "vocal anarchist" who's making policy.

But that's just my opinion.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Thanks. I appreciate your well thought out breakdown to each point.

Right. My argument is I think there should be room for steroids in sports, in regards to treating injuries. Not for enhancing. No tolerance policies need to have some wiggle room.

That is why I suggest that only an athletic commission appointed physician be allowed to prescribe steroids to an athlete. They will also be responsible for monitoring the progress, and determining if that athlete is allowed to compete based on injury status, and appropriate steroid use.

Who pays for all this? Well in this scenario, the UFC. I think they are at greater risk of losing more money by canceling a high profile fight, than what they would pay for the monitoring. In order to be unbiased it should be allowed that any fighter with an upcoming fight who becomes injured have a chance to get approval to use steroids, not just the high profile fights.

Good point. I think my breakdown exposes the flaw in the UFC's payment compensation more than it makes an argument for steroids, but it is a reason for the steroids use. Justified or not.

Full disclosure of injuries is needed, and athletic commission approval is mandatory. That way athlete's have no excuse. They won't have to sneak around because of an injury. This will also allow organizations and athletic commissions to issue even harsher penalties for breaking the steroid rule. I think this would help curb steroid abuse.

That is the key factor. Abuse. Abuse by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

I don't always agree with what Jeff Monson says, but I always find him interesting. I used his quote merely to illustrate how the playing field isn't level, with or without steroids.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Steroids should not be used in competitive sport at all IMO.

The athletes are meant to be competing on a level playing field, and the inclusion of performance enhancing drugs precludes that.

If you want to use them, fine, do what you like. Its like drinking or smoking, its your choice. But in an environment when competition and fairness are supposed to be the key principles... drugs cannot be allowed!