Stephen Hawking warns us about aliens...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would probably sound ingenious if he didn't steal his reasoning from Contact.

2. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Fuck. Yesssss. *nerdgasms*

Damn what I'd do to live in a universe set up like that. Kick ass allies, hot blue alien women, bad ass space ships, the whole works. I really hope our future with other races is very similar to Star Trek/Mass Effect.
    Does anyone here think that if we ever come across alien technology that was abandoned on our planet, or maybe when we finally land on Mars, that it would lead humanity farther into the future?

Also I'd like to thank everyone here who is putting their own input in and defending what may be out there. After what we discovered so far, I'm open to almost anything in this universe being possible. Science has the answers for everything, we just need to look in the right direction at the right time to reveal it.

3. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

I'm goin to go as afar as to say that if that's your reasoning then I know a lot more on the subject then you... And yes, a day on earth is the same for God.

4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

You'r not honestly trying to be "that guy" are you?

If you don't have anything rational to add to this thread then why do you keep posting?

5. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol  A Roseanne reference, love it! It's been so long. If that's the case, you have nothing to worry about as all they want is Tom Arnold.

Sorry I'm a tad late to the party. Didn't see anyone pick up on the tv reference

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Proof?

Very well said my friend.

Until you prove to me my little green friend doesn't exist, your views do nothing for me.

Your argument doesn't work without proof. Neither does mine. But my side keeps producing at least some kind of evidence, no matter how much of a stretch it is, and your side produces nothing.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Oh, thank you, thank you; for a while there I thought no one would get it.

8. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Unfortunately, scientists have recently discovered in the last month that a large majority of solar systems have Super Jupiter Exoplanets With Retrograde Orbits. "Bombshell discovery could reduce the chances for Earthlike worlds."

New Planets Found; Have Backward Orbits

"A dramatic side-effect of this process is that it would wipe out any other smaller Earth-like planet in these systems".

Statistically, scientists are continually discovering that life might be a lot rarer in the universe then originally thought. Surprise discovers like this keep reducing that number.

9. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

Proof? You guess are defending your side, like I am mine.

I don't want to be "that Guy" in fact it comes across to me that you guys are all "that guy" if you don't like what I post quit quoting me expecting a response. It's an open not closed discussion.

What the Heck Sage? You're in the Christian TF fans group! You're supposed to be on my side! Unless you just have a title instead of a lifestyle.

10. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    huh? ...so if you're a Christian you can't be open to the possibility of life outside our planet? Where does it say that?

11. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    wut

I guess so.

12. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Hey guys, lay off the religious discussion or this thread dies and I hand out some infractions. Great, thanks.

13. Tyrannosaur

Yes but we are actually making good points for our argument. On average there are 400 billion solar systems within a single galaxy, and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies out there, and there are multiple dimensions/universes as well.

What do you mean by "That Guy"? You mean this guy, with the glasses?
    [​IMG]

Nevermind, stupid pointless joke :lol 

But what do you mean exactly? The problem is, is simply that we feel it's really ignorant to think that we are the only sentient life in this multiverse.

:inquisiti  that's because Sage is open minded about the subject like most of us here. And what does religion have to do with this? I have friends who believe there is a higher power and they are just as open to the idea of E.T.s as we are. As FreshDebesh said, leave religion out of this discussion.

14. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If the aliens are hot, then I'd love it.

Incidently, saw a UFO a couple of nights ago.

No kinky alien shenannegins ensued.

:( 

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Maybe Stephen is an alien him self! :D 

16. Tyrannosaur

I've always heard stories of abductions. One guy apparently was "raped" by an alien aboard a ship. *facepalm*

These people who make this crap up with their stories and their blurry photographs, they're the reason the Scientific Community laughs and spits in the face of any scientist who brings up the validability of UFO sightings :banghead: 

Could we ever just get some decent damn footage?

17. Sage o' G-fruit

News Credits:
    Nah, aliens are giant silver saltshakers with plungers and whisks for arms.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:

Sounds pretty kinky if you ask me...

19. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aliens have lived among us for quite some time, actually. They disguise themselves as the BeeGees and the Kelly Family.

20. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Ah, why does every thread about science need to be closed due to people posting about their personal religion? Please keep religion out of the thread as it as no bearing whatsoever on the subject.

Anyhow, the odds of life on other planets are very high. The odds of intelligent life developing are much lower and the odds of intelligent life solving the necessary problems for sufficiently easy intergalactic travel are lower still. For Hawking's response (which isn't new for him and was in his A Brief History of Time), though, it seems that to develop that sort of technology, a civilization would need to have existed for a long enough time. That suggests that they were able to live with themselves and move past using, say mass warfare, for the resolution of disputes. Of course, this is all based upon applying human motivations to alien life, which is probably completely incorrect. (Although altruism seems to be a product of the evolutionary process and is displayed among many different species on this planet.) Still, a desire for exploration would also suggest that there would be an innate curiosity compelling them to spend resources and time to look for other planets. Again, I don't see why they would necessarily be interested in resources of this planet, when the same exact resources could be mined more easily elsewhere, like on any number of asteroids in this solar system.

Still, the odds of us detecting life are much lower than the odds of life existing elsewhere. We're just getting to the point with our technology to be able to detect Earth-like planets orbiting other stars. (The Kepler telescope is a promising first step.) However, even in our own solar system, we have three planets that when viewed from afar would seem to be able to support life and are in the habitable zone. This tempers expectations with detection and creates difficulties for asserting that life could exist on a discovered planet. The best opportunities for the discovery of life would seem to be two bodies which possibly contain liquid water within be within our own solar system: Mars and Europa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.