Stephen Hawking warns us about aliens...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stephen Hawking: alien life is out there, scientist warns - Telegraph

The man is obviously a genius. And while some might mock him, I would submit that those people are limited by their own intellects, education, and / or conditioning to not perceive the truth as clearly as he can.

But the article reminds me of a quote by Arthur C. Clarke, "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Assuming that he's wrong, which would be more terrifying to you?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i would be afraid if the Allens truly did exist and they really were out of spice...

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's a pretty enlightening response. I really appreciate you sharing that insight with us! :D 

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Well I'd prefer man be as unencumbered as possible in his conquest of the stars. Intelligent life forms pose all manner of ethical question on top of any and all threats they may pose. Man is barely able to work in unity with itself I don't think contact with other capable species will be desirable overall.

Aliens existing is more terrifying imo I am however a cynic

5. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Well, that's true. And it is pretty frightening.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But would such an event force humans to finally band together and cooperate jointly? Now that we know something even more different than ourselves exist, does that make everyone a little closer?

It makes you wonder. But I always bet on the worst case scenario. We're talking humans here folks.

7. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

This sounds like all the alien movies I seen, but I doubt aliens exist and if they do I doubt they live in our life time.

8. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

They might exists on Mars, but deep within the planet, near thermal outlets, and they would probably look like our worms and not be intelligent. Not too terrifying, right? But what if we find these things and bring them back to Earth to study them and they are actually highly toxic, and their presence starts an epidemic that ends life as we know it.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    :lolol  Yes, especially if these new life forms are of the Tim variety! As long as those Girls are there to help, I'm ok with the existance of other life out there...

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really find the concept of aliens existing terrifying. I'm pretty sure they exist somewhere out there actually, but the distances of travel being what they are, I very highly doubt any will be able to visit us or vice-versa. The best hope for contact is radio signals, like SETI is trying to do, and if contact is established via radio communication that takes decades or centuries for a round trip conversation, the worst that could happen is we find the intergalactic equivalent of an internet troll, with memes that are way out of date when they arrive.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Double post.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I disagree, but on the foundational principal behind his theory. I don't believe in evolution. Humans are alone in the universe as far as I'm concerned.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a firm believer that there has to be alien life elsewhere in this Universe, that we are not the only intelligent life living in the cosmos. Whether we ever make contact with aliens or not, whether they invade Earth or come in peace... only time will tell.

So I say that I would be more terrified if there weren't any aliens at all, that we are truly alone in the Universe.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd be more relieved to find out that we're alone. The last thing we need is a bunch of little gray conquistadors on our doorstep; we've got enough of our own problems as is. Sadly, I doubt we're alone.

What I'm glad about, though, that Stephen Hawking isn't buying into all this "We come in peace" bullshit. The idea of greedy, exploitative alien conquerors is far more believable than enlightened Zen philosophers whizzing around in flying saucers looking to help anyone they come across. For what it's worth, many accounts of contact with aliens aren't exactly wine and roses. Animals have been mutilated, people have been abducted, injured or even killed, property has been damaged and some very hairy home invasions have taken place. I wouldn't trust these spacemen as far as I could throw them. What the fuck gives them the right to come here and do as they please?

Commence preparation for galactic defense.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

In a universe this big? You´re joking. There are several places out there, it´s a big universe.

16. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I agree with Hawking that it is a mathematical certainty that there is life elsewhere and it would be silly to assume that we're unique. (Evolution on this planet has shown that life can thrive in vastly different environments.) Intelligent alien life may not display empathy as humans know it, but why would they need resources on Earth? There is nothing here that isn't found elsewhere and it would be much easier to mine or cultivate asteroids than a planet. They may not find us interesting, but that would not necessarily develop conflict. Alien life could very likely be indifferent to us rather than exhibiting malevolence.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well if it was us, how would we do it? If we ever leave the solar system and come into contact with alien forms of life, do you think we would study it, or exploit it? Maybe we'd do a bit of both, like in Avatar.

I used to be fascinated with the idea of terraforming and settling Mars. But what if there is already some form of microscopic life on Mars. It could be our only chance to study alien life. It raises quite a dilemma: seaching Mars, it could take a long time to find such life, if it exists at all. If it does exist, should we threaten or contaminate its environment with terraforming and introducing other forms of life? If we can't find it, do we assume it doesn't exist and proceed with our experiment?

On the other hand terraforming Mars would be cool.

18. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I believe alien life probably does live out there.

Why we haven't had contact could be 5 reasons I've thought of:

1. We are truly alone
    2. Life on earth is simply like an endangered species reserve to these aliens, thus we're left alone.
    3. We're indefinetly primitive to these aliens, and they simply don't wanna "talk down" to us.
    4. Our sector is dangerous to them somehow, and we're immune to whatever keeps these aliens away.
    5. We are the most advanced species in this region of space, thus its up to us to find these aliens.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Good point there.

20. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    That is insanely arrogant. The universe is infinite, there's bound to be life out there somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.