Stephen Davis Comments On The Future Of Transformers Franchise Media

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Apr 1, 2018.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

“We had the release of Transformers: The Last Knight. We were very pleased with the performance, particularly at retail."

Hah hah, funny April Fools Joke, hah hah.

• Like Like x 28
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Stone Grey

News Credits:
    So basically Hasbro had it with the live actions movies not being very family friendly and the biggest joke in pop culture so they restructured their deal with paramount so they can have greater control over their own content, as well as plan things ahead on their own terms instead of just following the movies around. This is a good thing, and it also allows them to create a new universe that can be explored in many different forms of media, like how Marvel has movies, tv shows, and comics all set within the same universe. Theres a large sense of cohesion, or unification as they call it. The real question is what universe this will follow, and can they execute it properly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
  4. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Just Monika.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Apparently the line actually did sell pretty well. But yeah, that's pretty funny.

5. Everything Man

Everything Man Well-Known Member

Tlk was a giant flop, check your rotting toy aisles.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

All those unsold figures, especially Berserkers, gave me the opposite impression, but sure that's just me.

• Like Like x 13
  7. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

All those Berserkers, and never one effing Hotrod in the stores..

• Like Like x 8
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Stone Grey

News Credits:
    That may be true, but you don’t say that during any sort of Public Relations event. If you do, investors are going to immedietly back out and stock prices will drop. TLK was a failure. Hasbro knows that and their investors know that, but whats important is maintaining the faux illusion that everything is on the right track and they have everything under control. Thats just how business works, every company is like that.

• Like Like x 7
  9. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Disposal

Maybe this is some next level April Fool’s joke, but I suppose it’s better than Hasbro announcing a deal with Studio Bones or Studio Trigger that’s just a joke :oops: 

Otherwise, this is just more hyperstitions and cyclonopedic PR from corporate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gangu Stars

Gangu Stars はじめまして。

Target/Walmart/Others are Hasbro's customers. Hasbro did very well in selling their items to those customers. Whether the items were desired by the retailers customers or not is another thing. :/

• Like Like x 4
  11. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Stone Grey

News Credits:
    Motherfucker every time you mentioned Studio Trigger making a Transformers show I have to unfollow you to follow you again. :lol 

THAT IS MY DREAM.

• Like Like x 3
  12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually grabbed that same line to mock in here.

I think this was the first time I ever saw wave 1 jam up so badly that even wave 2 basically never made it to retail.

The real question here is will stores even be willing to carry Bumblebee movie toys?

• Like Like x 3
  13. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anecdotal evidence points away from this. Maybe they made less product this time leaving less mess on shelves for the next year, but other than that first wave that was 50% repaints the toys really didn't make it to retail.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Cutest Avatar on TFW

Wake me for the Disney buy out where they shove Transformers awkwardly into Marvel's universe.

If TFs are gonna burn up, it might as well be a heck of a crash.

• Like Like x 4
  15. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    Blah blah China blah blah.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just wish they would stop bringing up TLK as a big success. Maybe they did make as much or more money than they expected (they did raise the prices so that probably helped) but they have to know the bad reputations and review scores it has. It just makes them sound disingenuous, or at least not on the side of their fandom. Like "we know you guys didn't like the film, but we made money so we don't care what you think." I mean, that is probably true, but I would say keep it between Hasbro and their investors.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Wiki
    Stephen J. Davis -
    I thought maybe reading on his backround might be important, he's been around since 2009.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Compared to the new Star Wars, anything must seem like a hit.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:
    Two things:

1) Hasbro doesn't care if wave 1 sits because Walmart ordered too much wave 1. They've already got their money because they sold an ass load of Wave 1. Concerns only come from future dealings. And everything but the deluxes and the Legion class still went through all the waves pretty well. All those fun toys that children like sold just fine.

2) the US is no longer Hasbro's most important market. China is.
    Again, you're just thinking of the deluxes. One steppers, 3 steppers, Titan changers, tiny turbo changers, Voyagers, leader class... They all had all their waves hit US retail.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Very true. Hasbro's business is Business-to-Business (B2B), and not Business-to-Consumer. In their perspective, they sold well to wholesalers, retailers etc. Hasbro doesn't just consider the "main line". All the gimmick lines and royalty are considered here as well.

Out of all the toy companies in the world, Hasbro is the most successful right now. Disney recently gave them the rights to Disney Princess business (previously owned by Mattel). Saban recently gave them the Power Rangers business (previously owned by Bandai). Just think how much of a trust those companies have for Hasbro when they broke-up with their long time partners?

I'm guessing that Hasbro is taking charge of the Paramount movies because they now have a huge reputation to maintain.

I know that a lot of you guys are not really pleased with Hasbro, but go to any business conference and ask about Hasbro. The investors are practically glowing with appreciation. When TRU announced their bankruptcy, the first thing Investors and Press did was to ask the opinion from Hasbro regarding the future of the toy industry. They didn't even ask from TRU at first. Also, be happy with how Hasbro is treating the Transformers franchise. With a lot of stuff on their plate, they still give a lot of care and attention. They can easily ignore it like they did for G. I. Joe but they are doing the best they can. The Generations line is a heartfelt 'Thank You Note' to long term fans. Fans of franchises of most other companies doesn't even get that kind of love.

I'm not apple-polishing. There are certain practices done by Hasbro that I certainly disagree with, but looking at the broader picture, Hasbro is doing just fine.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 18