Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Noizemaze, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    So, it seems that this game has started getting poor reception, mostly due to the Kinect Controls. When I tried the demo last night, however, it seemed to work pretty well, so I'm curious to see if that holds with the full game. I'll end up grabbing it tonight and checking it out, though I'm not expecting anything too fantastic. I'm curious if anyone else is going to try this out regardless of the current reviews. $45 on Amazon isn't too bad a deal for checking it out, especially if you've got any credit to use.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Some truly horrible reviews out there and theGiantbomb quick look didn't set the world on fire, it seems it was a really missed opportunity of a game.

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    That's the thing though. Most reviews seem to focus on the shitty Kinect interface, but when I played the Demo, it worked fine and I didn't have any real issues with it confusing my inputs. The gameplay part I expect from a From Software title, so I'm not too concerned there. I'm just curious as to why the motion controls are so hit or miss between users, and if the full game will play as well as the Demo did for me.

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

This is one of those games I really want to be good, but i'm going to hold off for an even bigger sale than 45 in case I get burned.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This one totally fell off my radar, and given Capcom's recent Disc Locked Content shenanigans along with the poor reviews it's not likely to get my attention again.

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

ill wait till people here give their opinion of it. i paid 200 bucks for the original steel battalion because of the controller. and i had tons of fun with it. i hope this one is also good.

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Demo worked fine for me as well. I'll probably get it once it drops to $30 or less but I'm not expecting much.

8. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I played about 7 or 8 missions last night.
    Controls aren't perfect, but I didn't have much problem with my setup. I had a few actions that didn't register correctly, but nothing major. The missions are also pretty short in some cases with objectives being hazy at times. It definitely an interesting experience, but not worth full retail. However, I wouldn't say that I agree with the really low review scores either. There's a niche that'll enjoy this game, but I think most people would get frustrated with it.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Hearing about that mission where you are supposed to spot the enemy then give your team the "signal" to start the engine and begin combat but the game never tells you how to give the signal just reaks of laziness.

Noizemaze do you think it would have fared better as a $20 Xbla game or you happy paying full price?

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    This isn't a $60 game. I think the Amazon price at $45 is better, but if I had to pick, $30 would be about right. Even then, I could only recommend it to someone who doesn't have issues with the Kinect controls failing and who doesn't mind the short mission structure.

This game falls into a strange spot. It would have been a good XBLA release at $20, but the production value is too high. If they'd have designed this as something without the Steel Battalion name attached, I think it would have made it easier to design it for the Arcade marketplace where the shortcomings would be easier to forgive.