Customs: SteamPunk Prime? (The I'm so doing it thread)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TonyzCustomz, Dec 28, 2008.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I have been pondering my own ideas for BotCon Contest as I am most definitely going this year.(Me=:D ) I feel like 5 months is a good amount of time to really create something awesome and something I have never seen done(Aside from HOS) is a SteamPunk inspired Prime(Think lots of copper, old looking tech and glass diodes). I kinda wanted to use my 25th Prime as a base for this custom as I want him around that size or maybe even bigger once done. Another alternative is to use copper sheeting and tubes and make an all metal transformer as I have metal working skills that I would like to use if I could(definitely going to have real copper tubing at least).

Anyways this is just an idea I had, a very vague one at that based off of the term "SteamPunk Prime" which sounded so awesome as it popped into my head that I had to share and see where it can lead to. Also keep in mind that I am not necessarily meaning to keep the image of Optimus Prime but to maybe make this sort of like a Prime Predecessor to him in the earlier years of Transformer History.

Image attached is from the game Warmachine and is something that I have recently become fond of and is sort of the feel I would like to get of my custom, only more copper! LOL

EDIT* Looking at my options I am thinking Metroplex will be a more suitable mold as he is huge and his alt mode can be made into something more easily that a truck can.

Attached Files:

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Definite potential there... if you went full-on steampunk there'd be no way it could be confused with the HOS look, I think it could work well. Looking forward to see where you take this.

Slightly off-topic, but people might find this guy's various steampunk stuff worth a look; I like the way it's not too OTT, just walks that fine line between originality and overdoing it.
    http://www.sillof.com/C-Steampunk-SW.htm

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Make it so. :thumb 

I'd love to see you use the MP Prime mold for this too.

4. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Make it so.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
  6. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

This is a great idea & has the potential to be VERY special.
    Look forward to seeing how this shapes up.
    All that copper & Brass :p Yuuummm.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I agree, a MP prime in a steampunk style would be ultra dope. You maybe able to get a model kit for a bunch of hoses and vents, and paint it like only you can.

BTW, I am really looking forward to meeting you at BotCon. You owe me a beer! :thumb  Could you post a link to the rules for Bot Con here, my man?

8. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I am looking to stay away from trains and stuff.

Thanks for the link, cool stuff to look at.
    LOL Thanks for the support bro. I want to use Prime but I am starting to like the idea of metroplex as the alt mode has more of the look I might go for(Maybe like a huge steam powered factory).

LMAO nice!

starshipmodeler.net has awesome stuff posted there, thanks though. I need to do more reasearch and see if I want it truely Victorian style or not, but he will have plenty of exhaust pipes like a giant energy plant. SteamPunk prime is the name I will give hm but yeah he will be like an original Prime from an alternate universe where steam is the power of choice.

Thanks bro, glad the idea seems to be worth running with. Copper and Brass FTW!!!

MP Prime might be out the window if Metroplex will work better. We will see though. I still have to go to the train hobby store and see what they have in terms of tubes and stuff. The paint Job will be tuff to pull off that's for sure, thanks for the confidence boost bro!:thumbs2: 

Me too, meeting other Radicons will be fun, hope to have a good ol time meeting every one, Beers All Around!:thumb 

The info for 2009 is not up but I was browsing the 2008 info and there is a PDF you can download on the site. BotCon08 the pdf is under the side bar just around the middle titled "BotCon 2008 Contest Guidelines" Hope the quidline dont change too much and I am wondering also how secret the custom must be if at all. Wanted to make a WIP here but dont wanna break any rules and not be able to enter ya know.

9. big hank

News Credits:
    I like Metroplex for this, especially since we've seen some "smelting furnace" alt mode customs come from this! Metroplex seems to fit the steampunkish style, and for the record, I like the name Steampunk Prime!:thumbs2: 

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I've always had a hard time pinning down "steampunk" style, as I've wanted to do a few customs this's and that's recently in that vein. I'm a dummy about that stuff though, I just can't visualize it at all.

That site just gave me lots of ideas though - thanks!!

11. big hank

News Credits:
    Yeah "steampunk" is kind of Victorian era inspired industrial looking. Like Tony said, where steam power is the energy source of choice. Steampunk aside, that site has a wealth of great stuff to learn and can easily be applied to kitbashing Transformers!

12. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I like this idea a lot too.....sounds cool.

Make it so....Picard commands it!!

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I doubt that will be a problem. The Mighty Dak won last year with Nova Prime, and I followed his WIP thread diligently.

14. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whos made a "smelting furnace"? I wanna see that for sure if I havent already or just dont remember. And Hellz Ya SteamPunk Prime FTW!

Yeah the term SteamPunk can be interpreted a lot of different ways, my main focus wont be so much on the Victorian era so much as it will be a steam powered influence regardless.

Yup Yup. Hope to make some crazy cool custom and if all goes well hell, I might make an entire line of SteamPunk characters.

LOL ok ok :D 

Oh ok wasnt sure is all. In that case as soon as I gets the stuff together I will be sure to post my slowly progressing work here.

15. big hank

News Credits:
  16. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OH yeah! I remember seeing that one, forgot all about it, must have been a year or so ago no? Yeah that is cool as hell though same sorta idea I suppose just a totally different execution.

17. big hank

News Credits:
    Nah, different idea actually. I think you can take it a lot further with the steampunk vibe!

18. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I just meant for the alt mode is all, definitely going to take it further though, that was made in a week or so mine will have a level of polish like nothing else(Not saying it is anyway bad jut that Jin makes customs on a weekly basis is all and I have 5 months). :D 

19. big hank

News Credits:
    With all that brass and copper, you'll have plenty to polish! :lol  You mentioned little diodes, I've always thought those real little Christmas tree lights would make for good retro diodes and such, They are usually incandesant (sp?) bulbs, so with a timer chip (like 555 IC) and a voltage regulator you could make them slowly pulse and dim! That would be DA Shiz-Nit:thumbs2: 

20. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    o_O  =Mind Explodes

Ha Ha Christmas lights were exactly what I was thinking(Going to go to Walmart or target tomorrow and look for some while they are all on end of holiday sales) but I had no idea about a timer chip! So you hook the little bad boy in between the power source and regulator(?) and that will make it dim off and on then? That sounds like it would look oh so awesome!

*Edit- for the brass and copper I think so long as I seal it real good after I am done I wont have that problem. Not sure though so I will have to check but I know it can be done with bronze when doing castings to preserve a certain patina.