Steam troubles.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SPLIT LIP, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I was wondering if I could get some help. Eons ago I sighed up for Steam, went super easy, but ended up not using it for much more than messaing a friend. Uninstalled it when Steam got hacked, have since reinstalled it. But I decided I should go back to it and tried to log in but have seemingly forgotton my password. So I try the reset password option but I never get the email. I try to just make a new account but it won't let me because my email is already on file. Now I'm fucking confused. It's on file but it won't reset my password. So I go to Steam Support and, wouldn't you know it, THAT account still works. So now I'm going back and fourth with Steam Support and they want my Credit Card number to confirm ownership.

I never gave them my Credit card number! When I sighed up all they asked for was my email and other none financial information. And that's all they want.

So now I'm pretty much fucked. They won't reset my password because I can't confirm I own software I never purchased.

What the hell, Steam? Anybody know what's up? What I missed? What they missed?

2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Have you checked your email's spam folder? I know it's kinda obvious to do, but just in case. Nothing changed in terms of CC info, I've never needed to tell them mine except when I'm buying stuff. You could just make a new email to use for a new account, other than that I don't know what to tell ya.

3. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, check all my folders. Even my mom's email in case for whatever reason I used her's.

I'm not going to make a new email. The whole point of Steam is supposed to be ease. This shit never happened to me with Xbox.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Create a bullshit Yahoo or GMail account and just create a new Steam account?

5. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Look for a manual "contact support" option would be my guess.

Or send Gaben some snacks

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Ha!

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Have you contacted Steam support? I'm sure they could help you better and faster than anyone here could.

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i recall sending the password request once. i think it only took them a month or so to get around to responding. though during that time my computer would automatically sign into it, but it did mean my laptop couldnt access it till that email showed up.

9. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah, if you don't have any purchased games on your old account, just create a new one with a new gmail account or whatever. you shouldn't have to have a cc binded for steam, lol. I've never had one on file, and I've just used paypal when they added that as an option.

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Have you tried searching your email for the original account creation email. You my be using the wrong user ID and/or email address. I've done it a few times when installing Steam on a new PC.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I just went ahead and made a Gmail like you guys suggested. Now I can at least keep in contact with my friend.
    I did, and like I said they wanted my CC info, which makes no sense since I never gave them it in the first place.

I did. I only had, up until last night, one email account. And like I said, when I tried to make a new account it said it was already in the system. Who would have my email except me?