Steam coming to Mac OS X, and you don't have to pay twice!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by GogDog, Mar 7, 2010.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

As somebody with a Mac laptop, this is awesome. No more having to boot into Windows via Bootcamp just to talk to friends on Steam. Also, images released this week hinted at Valve's other source based games to head to OSX. I would really love to see TF2 available to play in OSX.

Also, does anybody else think that this could be the start of something significant? Like a possible shift away from gaming on Windows? Recently Ive been reading about how Microsoft seems to be caring less about games in Windows since they have the Xbox brand. And here we have a developer which notoriously loves Microsoft (and has not even touched the PS3) turn around and go multiplatform. Makes me wonder if Apple saw all the money they're making from iphone games and decided to start getting serious about gaming. Its pretty big to get the PC's best developer to start making things for OSX.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Awesome, now I can finally see what the hype is all about with Portal, being a Mac only man.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. This is only Valve. Blizzard making games for mac didnt get everyone to jump on, so this probably won't either. it'd be too much work for most companies to manage. There will never be a shift away from windows because of how popular and open the platform is. But Macs getting good games is wonderful. the more people who can experience Valve's stuff, the better. and maybe eventually more games will come out multiplatform.

Valve not making games for the PS3 isnt because of loyalty to Microsoft, but just hatred of Sony.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well Valve used to have a kind of "hatred" of Mac too. Awhile ago Newell explained that Apple was never serious about gaming, and that they would never follow through with any commitments. So now that they've apparently ported Steam to OSX along with the Source engine, this could mean the Apple might start actually trying to get the ball rolling on games. I dobut that Valve saw enough bootcamped Macs in their hardware surveys to make them think that it would be a great idea to start porting all their recent games over.

6. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

Great news. Now my Mac laptop will finally get some gaming action aside from Facebook.

7. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Great news for everyone with a Mac only! I only use windows, but still!

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Awesome. I'm picking up a Mac Mini in a few weeks, may look into getting Steam on it too. Don't do a whole lot of PC/Mac gaming but I'm up for it from time to time.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Excellent. Definitely excited to see what all the hubbub is about.