State of the G1TF Union Thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nortagem, Nov 8, 2008.

1. nortagem

nortagem I am the light in the sky

Ya'all help me brush this dust off, been a long time.
    Looking for some online G1 shopping habit info.
    Please help me out, I am seeking new sales ventures.
    #1 Do you feel the market is currently overloaded with G1 parts/weapons/accessories?
    #2 Besides ebay, where else do you actively search for G1 parts/weapons/accessories?
    #3 If you only use ebay would you be willing to use other vendor hosts like google, ioffer, ecrater etc..?

Who I is, I am (was) zed$ on ebay, I opened the first ebay store for TF accessories, soon as ebay offered the store format. That was a ride! I had nothing on WJ when it came to bots, but a chose a niche and everyone loved it! I feel I had a big influence on setting the market values for accs. But ebay&paypal cost increases drove me away, I do not want to pass that cost onto you. I like to buy/sell cheap, and that is a mutual liking.
    So please let me know honestly some answers, I do not want to spend weeks making a store if no one is stopping by right.

2. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I have a very old eBay account, from as far back as ATTM's heyday.

I very rarely shop there for anything related to TransFormers for the following reasons:

1. It has become a marketplace for businesses selling product directly from store shelves. As much as I hate the principles behind scalping, the real issue here is that it crowds out smaller sellers and vintage toys. There is not much net gain between 100 toys (1998) and 10000 toys (2008) if 9800 are coming from the Target next door at an additional markup.

2. The secondary market has gotten too expensive. This you can, admittedly, do little about. Given the choice, I'll buy a brand new reproduction Wheeljack for $60 instead of well over $100 for one of questionable status (mint except for a broken arm, complete but missing spoiler, etc).

3. Shipping has really made small/cheap items unattractive. I used to buy GoBots a couple at a time, same with TF accessories. But really where is the sense of buying any of those for $3 and then paying another $7 to ship it? Basically because of this, anybody selling parts is in a dfifficult position.

4. EBay has just gone crazy with fees and requirements. Listing fees are like sales tax, disproportionately affecting smaller amounts of money. Paypal fees on top of final value fees, especially now that Paypal is _mandatory_, encourage "padding" of pricing/insurance/shipping. Their attitude is pushing out low volume casual sellers and competition with it.

What do I still go to eBay for? More obscure stuff. I like iOffer, but GoBots, for instance, don't have critical mass there yet. But you'd better believe I'll go there for more common (but still non-retail) items.

3. nortagem

nortagem I am the light in the sky

Thx for the reply.
    looks from the response that G1 has fallen by the wayside. sad
    so be looking out there somewhere, guess I will sell my inventory as a lot
    and i still function too....