Startup times

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Jul 6, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I could probably get past the first level of Mario before the that psp game title screen starts up.

Portable gaming means quick gaming to go. The PSP fails in that regard despite it's presentation.

UMD was just a bad idea all around.

3. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Damn thats a long load time, but I don't ever remember having to wait that long for one of my games.

4. flamepanther

You probably weren't playing a game made by SquarEnix. It also probably doesn't seem like as long when you haven't got another game loading up and running through the demo a few times for comparison.

5. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I've said it a bunch of times, but Smackdown Vs Raw 2006 killed the psp for me. First I had to upgrade my firmware, thus killing homebrew and emulation for me, then I had to sit through 3 minutes of load times each match.

It's not worth it for me. The gameplay would have to completely blow me away in order to sit through load times like that. And none of the PSP games are that good.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Old but worth reposting for truth.

...incidentally, running games off the memory stick makes them load much faster and uses less battery power.

But if you were to do that, you would be a pirate. And we all know what happens to them.

7. flamepanther

They drink a lot of rum?

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    One of the many reaseons I do not have nor have any intention of owning a PSP

9. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Yeah, it's kinda just not a fair comparison. He should probably just put down "*Sqaure enix* game that takes hella long to hold" or put it beside a different game because my bro's PSP, at least with a different game, definately does not take that long to load.

10. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Not to mention that it gets pretty spendy transfering your games to 1gb memory sticks just to save a minute or two.

11. flamepanther

But it can, and that's the point. It wouldn't much matter what game you put in the DS, it'll still load fast. PSP has to read off of a stupid UMD, which as we see here, actually can take a really, really long time depending on the game. If that was the game you wanted to play, you wouldn't care whether it's a fair comparison or not, you'd still be stuck waiting for it to load. It's also worth noting that the loading itself causes increased battery drain, so the battery is draining faster while you're sitting there not playing than when you're actually playing the game.

12. Jesus

There are plenty of large, fairly lengthy games for the PSP with reasonable load times. I figure this should pretty much be blamed on a dev's laziness. Unless this is a be all, end all game.

At the very least, I know that smackdown's load times were due to laziness.

13. flamepanther

The Square half of SquarEnix has often been lazy in the last several years when it comes to innovative or satisfying gameplay. When it comes to programming and getting the most out of a system in the most efficient way, they are anything but lazy. Odds are that as the PSP gets farther into its lifecycle, you'll see the simpler games take less and less time to load, as developers learn tweaks to speed the process up, while you'll see the more impressive games take longer and longer. That's more or less what happened with the PS1.

Unfortunately, the easiest way of reducing load times is precaching, which means that the motorized arm of the disk mechanism is moving more often, which could mean even more battery drain. Optical media for a handheld gaming platform just isn't a very good idea.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My PSP boots up my "homebrew" and emulators much much much faster than that. Though I don't really do anything with the PSP except play "homebrew" and emulators anyway.

I love both systems, they're both great. I just wish PSP had something going for it other than homebrew/emu's.

15. flamepanther

Uh, yeah. That's because its not loading them off of a UMD. The UMD format is the whole problem here.

16. Jesus

Let's just say the PSP's a poop head and celebrate. : D

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Any predictions on the future of sony's place in the handheld market?

I think there will be another PSP in the future. Not sure if it will be an upgrade of the corrent one, or a new one in 5 years.

The question is, will Sony can the UMD in favor of a more load friendly format? Of will they hold on to it for backwards compatibility?

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Incorrect.

I need to boot up GTA:LCS to get to the homebrew

19. flamepanther

Ah, the GTA exploit.

Anyway, the amazing fact is still that it can take that long to load an actual, legitimate, commercial PSP game. The fact that so many people don't find many of the actual, legitimate, commecial PSP games worth playing and turn to emulators and homebrew is an entirely different problem for a different thread.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never experienced a load time that long with my PSP. Besides, I play it for the games, not the load times. I don't even pay attention to it.