Starting out

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by OhMyGosh, Jun 11, 2012.

1. OhMyGosh

OhMyGosh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello!

I've been makign my way through the various series of TF cartoons for a long while now, and I've recently started looking around at some of the different comic series, and I think I'd like to start with IDW stuff, MTMTE and Last stand of the Wreckers look interesting

I'm looking for a few small pieces of advice/opinions:
    -Is it worth hunting down every series/issue of TF IDW has ever done? Any bits you would personally miss out if you were starting over?
    -Is MTMTE a good place to start? not 100% sure if it's in the start of a continuity.
    -Are the IDW Collection packs any good, if anyone out there has bought them? They look to be pretty good value, and have quite a bit in them.

Thanks! Tfwiki has been great so far, and given me quite a bit of information, I hope a bit of input will get me going in the right direction.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Personally
    - No it isn't worth hunting down every series/issue. A lot of the stuff before it was bad, really really bad. Pick up certain runs issues, but don't be a completist for the sake of it. The rest you can fill in with TFwiki articles.
    - MTMTE is not the start of a new continuity, but it is the start of a brand new story arc, with a very capable TF writer. Pick up the TPB if you want since it contains the Death of Optimus Prime which leads into it.
    - I'm not sure what you mean by Collection packs, but if you mean the IDW Collection Hardcovers, I'd probably recommend the earlier volumes by Furman. The ones in the middle and later on leave much to be desired, especially the ones by Costa.

For a general idea, there have been 3 distinct runs on the main TF comic series, with more or less their own runs and style
    Furman
    McCarthy (who sort of reboots everything but then is apparently ordered to tie it in to the previous series)
    Costa (who tries to push it in a more movie-type setting, and has generally been considered the worst one among the TF runs so far)

We've also gotten numerous mini series with different continuities (i.e. the Movie, and Beast Wars) as well as several minis also taking place in the main line ones (i.e. LSoTW, and Megatron Origins), my suggestion, would be to get the Furman run since its continuity is more firmly established and is the basis for a lot of the other minis and spotlights, and then pick selected issues/tpbs from the later runs as you see fit.

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    As previously mentioned, the MTMTE TPB leads with Death of Optimus Prime, which is essentially issue #0 for RID and MTMTE.

The crew in MTMTE really is busy with itself right now, so you don't need much backstory to understand what's going on there.

If you want to get into RID, it does help to have the bullet points from Costa's run, which I've listed here. As we get further in to the issues, especially with the
    Dinobots
    showing up, it -might- be useful to have previous backstory, but that bridge can be crossed when you get there.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You're on the right track with LSOTW and MTMTE, but as said Death of Optimus Prime is sort of required reading for MTMTE to make sense.

Like Star Saber said, for the rest a paltry read of the TFWiki articles will suffice.

5. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would also read issue 22 and 23 of the old ongoing. Still my favorite TF story ever and excellent insight into Prime and Megatron. And if you're interested, you can follow that up with Autocracy, which has been pretty solid.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I would have said getting the IDW Complete Collections is alot of fun, though it seems i'm in the minority of "get them all"

I don't get a lot of the hate for All Hail Megatron, which is Volume 5 of IDWs Collection. I think its pretty darn good and highly recommend, but maybe thats just me.

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Personally, I liked the way it started but hated Optimus Prime's totally coming out of nowhere return to operational condition and the predictable Decepticon defeat afterwards. The pacing was just so bad. I'm guessing McCarthy figured he wrote himself into a corner and just decided to bring him back so suddenly because he realized he was running out of issues. That's kind of what ruined the series for me. Just took the wind out of all the drama. I understand some other people are annoyed that it was basically written with very little attempt at continuity with the previous run, only to shoehorn it back afterwards midway.

8. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Its best you read it in publishing order as opposed to the order of events or go to the idw transformers wikipedia article and it has a suprisingly accurate reading order for events

9. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

It is best that you only download these comics. It is not worth the effort or the wait to obtain this trash in print.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes we understand you don't like anything outside of G1, but not everything outside of it is trash, too bad you're just too narrow-minded to see it.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    ♪ ♫ We see you trollin', you hatin' ♪ ♫

12. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

You don't like anything past the the first couple seasons of G1, we get it. Shut up about it now and let people have their own opinions about things.

The first few -ation series of IDW is pretty good IMO, and worth trying to track down. If you do a search you should be able to find several threads in here that list publication order. To be honest, as a jumping on point though you can start with Death of Optimus Prime (there is a summary on the inside cover of the issue that should get you more or less caught up), and then go with MTMTE (which is about transformers - IN SPACE!!!) and RiD (Transformers on a reborn Cybertron). The first tradeback for MTMTE includes Death of OP and is out this month.

If you like it you can start going back and collecting the older stuff. Some of it is good, some of it is less so.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  13. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^THIS

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

While I recognize not everyone wants the complete run, I think it's great to have and see the entire arc. One thing you can't get from the wiki articles is the generally amazing and varied art, and I think having the IDW hardcover collections or all the TPBs could be worth it if you have the money. You can read people's opinions and the wikis all you want, but ideally you could read everything for yourself. If you're looking to save time, money, potential frustration (with art and stories, not everything is up to par), there are good ways to cut corners.

15. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah; I'd honestly recommend the following as required reading:

-Furman's stuff (-ations, Spotlights)
    -Chaos Theory (issues 22-23 of the ongoing; same author as MTMTE)
    -Last Stand of the Wreckers hardcover (for the bonus materials just as much)
    -Death of Optimus Prime
    -Drift miniseries (I recommend this one more because it looks like the MTMTE annual is gonna revisit stuff in it)

AHM isn't for everybody; I enjoyed it but many people don't, though some of the Coda issues are really good (especially recommend the Prowl/Kup one as it sets up the current IDW interpretation of Prowl.) And the Ongoing has some decent ideas, but is largely skippable in the grand scheme.

Most of the callbacks of significance are going to be calling back to Furman's stuff anyway, I imagine, given that he laid so much groundwork and left so many loose ends he didn't get a chance to explore.

16. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    What kind of bonus materials are these? and would they be included in the IDW Collection volume 6? Seems cheaper to get that then the hcs and tpb for the included stories.

17. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The IDW Collection will only have the main issues. The HC includes text stories, several one-shot comics, and a bunch of behind the scenes stuff. Honestly, the HC for LSoTW is worth it for the extras alone.

18. OhMyGosh

OhMyGosh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, thinking of getting the TPB for MTMTE off the Book depository, or Fishpond. If anyone knows another reasonably well priced website that does free international shipping, that would be appreciated too :) 

I can also only track down 5 and 6 of the IDW collection, all of the earlier stuff I can only see for over $200 NZD, which is pretty steep, thats before shipping too. Probably going to get IDW collection 5 and MTMTE to start off with, and go from there.

Thanks to all who have posted with great advice :)  Much appreciated!

(also, what is the name of the current ongoing? D:) 

19. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More than Meets the Eye (MTMTE)
    Written by James Roberts / Art by Alex Milne
    Rodimus leaves Cybertron with the crew of Lost Light, searching for The Kights of Cybertron.
    Its main cast are Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Drift, Brainstorm, Ratchet, Red Alert, Whirl, Rung, Swerve, Chromedome, Rewind, Cyclonus, Tailgate, and Skids.

Robots in Disguise (RID)
    Written by John Barber / Art by Andrew Griffith
    Bumblebee and others struggle to maintain control of Cybertron, where ex-Autobots, ex-Decepticons, and NAILs(neutrals) are mixed.
    Its main cast are Bumblebee, Starscream, Metalhawk, Prowl and Arcee.