Customs: Starting my first (sorta) scratch-build project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Pepsiman98, May 24, 2010.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

Ok, so I'm starting on my first customs project that isn't a repaint, and I need some help. It's going to be a transformable, G1 Optimus Prime, constructed from this AMT model: 1/25 White Freightliner Dual Drive Tractor (amtamt620) AMT/ERTL Plastic Model Plastic Model Car / Truck / Vehicle 1/20-1/29 Scale, Mighty Putty, some ball-joints and sockets, some pins, recasted MP-Starscream hands, and a suitable head. What I need to know is how all you scratch-builders out there go about doing something like this, and any suggestions you might have. Any of that would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs2: 

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I saw that kit at Hobby Lobby, and had the same idea. Until I realized how much work it would be. Most of the bot mode would come from the hollow insides of that truck, and the frame at the back would make some really skinny legs.

Good luck with this, as calling it a scratch build is pretty accurate. You're gonna be building a figure from scratch and adding truck bits to it.

Maybe use a MP Prime as a base?

3. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

I actually don't own an MP Prime, (I know, shame on me) which is mainly the reason why I'm making this. :lol  Actually, the truck is the base I'm working from. Most of those hollow insides will be fleshed out with Mighty Putty, but I still have to decide on the legs, as I want to keep it as close to the actual truck as possible, I'll see how he looks once I get the main part of him done. :thumb