Starting My Classic Collection......Should I go Hasbro of Takara?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheLastPrime, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TheLastPrime

TheLastPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So here is my deal, Ive decided to start my Classic's collection Ive been a fan of the line but never got into because I wanted to collect all the MP Transformers.

Well now that Im basically done with that I really want to get into colletion the Classic collection, My question is should I go Hasbro "universe" or should I go the Takara direction? what are the benefits? I know some have colors that are slightly different and if Im correct Takara Made more then Hasbro did right?

Thanks for the help in advance

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I suppose Takara if only because Prime and Megs have much better paint jobs, but then we come to the fact that some of the henkei characters (Grimlock and Sideswipe come to mind) just have needless chrome and end up with their classics/universe counterparts looking better.

Honestly, I'd just aim for whichever version looks better on a character-by-character basis.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I got an almost complete hasbro collection (about 75-85% complete i should say) and while there are a few henkei that look better, i would say a mix of both, get Henkei Jetfire (american one is WAY more expensive), get henkei astrotrain and megatron, and for the most part get the rest as US releases

5. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Go with a mix. My collection is a mix that fits my
    personal tastes. I resisted henkei for a while but broke down and not I'm about 50/50. That said, pm me as I've got a bunch of classics I'm trying to sell as a result- maybe we can get you jumpstarted!

6. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I would go with Hasbro Prowl, Silverstreak, Sideswipe, Grimlock, Mirage, Octane, Cliffjumper and Jetfire.

The rest Henkei.

7. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i actually like the hasbro prime over the takaratomy one, the henkei one just feels like it is missing some paint apps (but i just can't place my finger on what is missing)

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Depends if you want to save money or not and if you like chrome. While the Henkei versions are a bit more color accurate than the US versions, they are pretty much the same figure. THe Henkei versions have chrome on their figures and on some of them (Megatron, Optimus) really complement the figure nicely. Others feel slapped on because the line has to have chrome. THere really isn't any major differences between the two lines except for paint & chrome so you should be able to find what you want at a reasonable price. They are really nice figures and will complement your Masterpieces nicely.

9. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I personally can't stand the chrome that is all over the henkei versions.

I have basically all the classics...

All 6 henkei seekers for good paint apps
    Henkei Optimus/Megatron for color accuracy
    Repainted Sideswipe to Red Alert (yea right I am paying 90$ for red alert)
    Repainted Prowl to Jazz
    etc etc.

Astrotrain is the only one I don't have yet that I sorta want for the colors

10. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think its a mixed bag..definitely henkei for cyclonus, megs and prime, but i persoally like inferno, hotshot, rodiumus in the hasbro colors....so i would say mix.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I have a good mix of them. That's how I like it.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Some of the paint jobs on the Hasbro ones are just bizarre (Megatron, 1st issue Starscream etc) but DEFINITELY get Universe Sideswipe, Silverstreak and Cyclonus - which is what I've done, so just my personal opinion. All my others are Henkei.

Essential Henkeis are:

Hound
    Jetfire
    Prime
    Megatron
    Sunstreaker

The others you could probably go either, depends how fussed you are on colour scheme as the rest are quite similar.

13. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I would say pick and choose from both. It's all a matter of personal taste when it comes to "which is better". I personally have mostly Henkei, but I've added some of the characters that weren't done in Henkei like Classics Cliffjumper, & Magnus. And like others have said, some of them aren't different enough to justify going for the Henkei. Tankor/Octane doesn't look much different and really isn't the greatest mold so I got the Universe version of him. Just pick what you like most and/or what's more affordable to you.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    With the Seekers, I would recommend:

Universe Starscream
    Henkei Skywarp, Thundercracker and Ramjet
    Generations Thrust
    Wait on Dirge to see if he comes out in Generations.

The Henkei Thrust and Dirge both come with extra stripes that diverge from the G1 style. Granted, that would make the two of them fit in with a set of Classics Starscream / Skywarp / Ramjet really nicely, however, there's no version of Thundercracker who would fit. The set I listed above is the current closest set of matches to the G1 colourschemes going.

Nothing against the more vibrant Classics takes on the characters, though, I'd certainly recommend checking them out to see if you prefer the reinterpretation of the designs. They all look awesome in robot mode regardless of the style of the vehicle mode too, and to be honest I kinda like Thrust's lightning stripes on the Japanese one.

For the rest I'd say go Hasbro, I honestly don't like the chrome on the Henkei ones as much, though I do prefer Henkei Ratchet, and Red Alert is a character who is presently exclusive to the Henkei line (though I'm sure a Generations one is coming there too)

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am starting a Classics collection as well. Really, I am trying to get the best figures for the cheapest prices. While Henkei Prime looks nice, I can live with a little less paint on the Classics version and save some cash.

But some you just can't skip. I like Classics Megs mold, but I would much rather have a Henkei one. It just differs greatly from the Hasbro release.

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    Just recommending for the seekers, get the henkei, but if you get an american one, get the classics one, the universe looks like a cheaply made knockoff

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I generally get a bit of both Hasbro and Takara.

18. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

this, Henkei Prime is a bit nicer then the Classics ver.

19. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Or go really broke and get one of each LOL

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

starting from 0, i'd say go for takara, just because they are fresher, and will be more plentiful, and easier to go buy. but if you already started, and already have some, i would say, stick with hasbro *or takara* depending on which you started with. they look good by themselves, not so good, with each other though :lol  which is sad, because i remember a time when one can mix hasbro and takara toys, like cybertron and galaxy force, but now with animated, and classics, it is difficult to display them with their japanese counter parts with out them looking out of place :lol