Starting a rock band.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morku, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Morku

Morku Decepticon Loyalist

Any suggestions? I was thinkin about this for a while and told my potential band members aout it and they told me to look for more tips and info on the subject so anyone here have a Band or had one?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stage presence. Work on it.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Sound exactly like all the other popular music, it’s your only hope in this day and age.

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A token hot chick wouldn't hurt either.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Just be careful she can take over the band and leave you in the dirt like Gwen.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can play it on Guitar Hero, it doesn't mean you can play it on a real guitar.

Remember this.

7. Psychomud

Psychomud Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

Remember - music execs are i it for the money. If they think they could make billions of a ecording of you farting into a tuba - they'd back you!

From personal experience -

1. You will be happier if you stick to, study, and perfect your own music. Write your own stuff and play it!
    1a) Write what you know! If you never faught in war - don't write a song about it.

2. READ books! Especially word reference (thesaurus) and novels! It increases your vocabulary range and with that - you could esentially write the same song (thee/story) over and over again using completely different terminalogy.

3. GET A DAY JOB! You need money - PERIOD! Early on you will need instruments (if you don't already have them) and need to rent out PA systems and additional speakers (if you don't have them) and lights (ditto).
    3a) Save every dime you can - you will need it for studio/production time!

4. Find gigs! Open mic's are nice at first. NEVER pay to rent out a stage - you will just end up losing money! Expect NO PAY - demand NO PAY. UNTIL people start to call you and ask you to perform!
    4a) Never forget who gave you your 'shot'! Never charge a club that let you get your first shot on stage! After they start asking you to come back - ask them to pimp you out to their club owner friends (for a small fee). NEVER charge those who gave you your 'break'!!!!!!!!

5. Expect to NEVER MAKE IT! You can only give 100% - if you 'fail' don't let it get you down.

6. Gather impartial circles of friends - NOT @SS KISSER FANS - let them critique you! NEVER get mad at a bad review or critique! OR post your tunes online - people will likely give a more HONEST opinion or troll you - either way - let it motivate you to try harder!

7. LISTEN to your music idols - find out who they were inspired by and listen to thise ledgends!

8. Do cover tunes! When you first start out mix 'your stuff' in between poular cover tunes - always stay in the same music style. Remakes are also good options instead of covers (i.e. - rap song turned heavy metal) - feel free to experiment making remakes!

9. Stay of the doobage! Avoid (or limit usage) of the the 3 pitfalls - the 3 Bs: Boozing, Bongs, and Biznatches!

10. PARACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Email me for more info.

I was a lead singer for 3 years back in the early to mid 90s for a Seattle area grundge/metal/rock band - we put out 2 albums. Never made it 'big' beyond the local scene (Gundge was dead by the time we hit ful stride.). Keep in mind that music tastes keep changing - stick to your style and the 'fad' will come back your way!

Psychomud

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    ^^^^^That's great right up thar. Plus just a small tidbit of advice if you're going to be doing any cover songs...when my old band was together and we were playing in clubs we needed to expand out set with some cover songs, and it led to some serious bad feeling because we're all way to nice to say whether we absolutely hated a song or not...just be honest with each other. And make sure you write songs in a key thats comfortable for the singer to sing in. Record your practices and listen to the tapes/CDs...don't let egos get in the way, always play for the song! That goes for any instrument, if the song calls for guitar squeals or double bass drum thats cool, but don't try to squeeze it in just because you can do it! First and foremost though, remember to just have FUN:)  Good luck!

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I have a band and have been playing music in bands for 18 years. Ive been playing a long time and its worth. Just get together with you boys and start jamming. Things will happen but practice makes perfect. You can check out my bands myspace at myspace.com/tornbetweennchardcore

10. incinerator1016

incinerator1016 Banned

great advice so far and when your going to name your band try to combine 2 things you love into one name but just make sure those 2 things arent fudge and the gb packers (shudders

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I'll sponson your band if you name them the "Adolecent Tocas"

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you call it 'Our Hero Onesock,' I'll buy the album.

-Tony!

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We discussed this in the sightings thread dude!

I thought it was Ironesock!

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Start a metal band, and call it "Hell's River". Don't know why, but that popped in my head.

15. incinerator1016

incinerator1016 Banned

make a death metal band and call it Incineration

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

As ridiculous as it sounds, talk with other people who are in bands and/or have been in bands. For a quick reference, start at a place like Harmony Central and hang out in the "Backstage with the Band" sections and the Recording section. You'll get some insight into the does and don'ts pretty quickly there.

Find other bands that play in your area and see if they're friendly enough to chat up a newcomer to the scene. Some will be, some won't. But the ones who are friendly are your best freakin' friends the first few months of your new bands existence. And if you manage to get a few club dates here and there, don't be afraid of the next round of newcomers. Make a name for yourself by being curteous to EVERYBODY. Club owners, other bands, soundguys, bar owners, crowds. You name it, be friendly. Be a rock star on stage, where it's called for. Everywhere else, just be a friendly dude that's approachable.

Learn how to play quietly, no matter what type of band you are. Low stage volume = happy soundguys. Happy soundguys = good sound out front. Good sound out front = happy crowds. Happy crowds = you get asked back. This is a genre crossing phenomena. Learn it, live it, love it. I did, and I play metal.

Outside of that, there's an incredible amount of work to a band of any level. Even if you never get beyond playing the smallest local clubs, you still have to practice on your own, rehearse your face off with the band until you can drop and pick up tunes without batting an eye, and gather your equipment. There's a long road between saying, "I'm going to start a band," and that first gig. And most of that road is a struggle to get across.

Best of luck. You're starting in the right place, by asking questions. I wish I'd done that more when I started my first band.

17. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Don't drink more beer than the gig pays. Watch Blues Brothers. It has some very valuable lessons.

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

And if you do, be sure to have some glue handy :) 

19. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    My tip: Make sure you get on with all your bandmates really well. If you think any of them are pricks, you will only be able to ignore it for so long. Works for me!

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

"What are you going to dooo with yooouuur LIFE?!"

"I wanna rock, ROCK!"