Starting a collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rampage scream, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rampage scream

rampage scream Well-Known Member

Hello, i am new here but just decided to start collecting. Any suggestions as to which line, ebay listings for lots, or general info for me? I can swing about $50 per week to this hobby and have a k-mart and walmart in my vicinity. I have a target about 30 mins away as well as 2 other walmarts and a kmart.

2. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Starting a collection is all about getting what you like. So the first question that needs to be answered is "What do you like?". Once you've figured that out you can work on what type of collector you'll be, etc...

3. rampage scream

So far i have: Animated Samurai Prowl, Oil Slick, Swindle, Jazz, and Elite Guard Bumblebee. As well as Universe Starscream and Cyclonius.

4. rampage scream

more or less looking for some input as to which lines are better and which are the best for your buck. I am a starscream fan so i will try and get all i can find of him.

5. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Start cheap, then build your way up is my advice.

Swing an Armada re-issue Unicron if you can (TRU exclusive), I know you don't live near a TRU, but you can order online. He is one of the best molds released in a mainstream line, and he will get expensive once he starts becoming scarce, just like the first release.

Wait for Leader Prime in the ROTF line, he will be a great mold, many of us can already tell.

If you have a COSTCO near you, there is a Cybertron Prime re-issue for less than $40 (I think?), and he comes with Crumplezone as well. I don't know is he is a Canadian exclusive or not...he might be.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=9269

Also, I reccommend getting a few of the Universe Deluxes, and the Universe Legends. They are cheap and give you a lot of value for your dollar.

Have fun, and welcome to the hobby.

6. rampage scream

thanks for the advice. i will check around for these

7. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well if you're going to try to be a completest, Classics and Animated are the lines to start with since most of these can still be bought in stores (but not for long). I personally collect Masterpiece, Classics/Henkei, and Binal Tech/Alternators/Alternity. For the most part the Universe Classics line gives the best bang for the buck to me.

Whatever you decide to do, just have fun with it. :) 

8. rampage scream

i have been saving up for the ROTF line but everytime i go to check out what is there i end up dishing out $50 a clip for animated and legends figures. oh well

9. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

So long as you buy what you want, the cash is not wasted.

Just don't fall into the trap of "having" to get every. Single. Figure.

That is a slippery slope that can lead to misery and financial ruin (Unless you are rich, in which case, more power to you).

Don't compete with the "other guy" who has a 3,000 figure collection...just buy what YOU like. If the hobby ceases to be fun, then what is the point?

You are fortunate to be a collector now; Universe Cyclonus is one of the best deluxe molds ever made. The Univese seeker mold is also quite exceptional, as are Prowl/Silverstreak, Sunstreaker/Sideswipe...it is a great time to be a Transformers fan!

You have THREE major lines to choose from in the US. There is something for everyone.

10. rampage scream

Yeah i am just collecting for my personal preference, all of the figures are already on display and i do not intend on making a profit from them down the road unless i fall on hard times. it is just weird considering the ladt time i collected figures the were like $5 a pop, and now i am paying at least $12 per figure. ahh gotta love the economy now. any word of when the new movie figures will hit shelves in the USA?

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I agree with most of what's already been said. Buy what you like. That is pretty much key to surviving a hobby like toy collecting.

I'm not really good at giving advice, but what I can do is pretty much give you my story and experience, so if that relates to you then great.

While I've always been a fan of Transformers, I only really delved into collecting TF merchandise almost exclusively last November (joining these boards was pretty much the start of it). At the time, I had a few of the original '06 Classics line and the latest Universe Classics Deluxes (save for Galvatron and Acid Storm).

So the first thing I set out to do was to go and buy up all the figures I missed from 3 years ago. Takes quite a bit of dedication and a lot out of the wallet ($250 in November alone). But I pulled it off. My last was Astrotrain in January.

Now I'm all into it. Kitbashing characters, collecting this "single" line- Classics/Universe & Henkei. It's great. I'm happy. I've met some great people on these boards because of this hobby.

Not going to lie though, you have to watch yourself. I'm quite prone to overspending and it's been tough at times between my girlfriend and I, when she has to bail me out on rent and such. She knows I love this though, and she's understanding. I just have to watch my spending, and make sure I can take care of everything I need to before splurging on the plastic crack.

So yeah, welcome to the hobby, welcome to the boards. You've found yourself a good place.

12. rampage scream

good post, thanks. yeah i was just into TF's as a kid and then the movie was good but since i joined here and had the spare cash i decided to turn this into a hobby. plus watching animated recently really got me into this. i have all of my bills and such taken care of and alloted myself like $50 a week for some type of hobby and this seemed to be the best one i can think of at the time.

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    take a look at some of the resource pages around the net and on this site. See what you like form recent lines that you think are worth tracking down. There are great deals to be had on figures from the last ten years. Since your getting started you can find alot of good toys in junkion and ebay lots that alot of more experience fans dont want because we have half the toys in them. For example this is a great time to buy figures from the 07 movie line. Alot of people are getting rid of these toys because they overbought with all the repaints or dont like the style anymore and you can get them for dirt cheap.

14. rampage scream

thanks, i am searching ebay right now/ reading the thread on buyers to be ignored

15. rampage scream

*sellers

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    Just remember that you will never regret spending money on Transformers. So who cares if that cash would have bought food, you will never remember that you were hungry by this time next year but TF is forever.

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

definitely start looking at yard sales and thrift shops in your area. this year is a good year to find energon/cybertron/armada figures literally in piles at some yard sales. if you see some molds you really like, try and scoop them up as you go and you can always look for accessories online. dont be afraid to move on with your collection to. i know sometimes i would collect all the pretenders i could find for a year or two, then realise i wasnt too keen on them anymore and sell them or give them to good will, collections change with interest i think :) 

18. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since you are interested in Starscream you should check out the King of Starscream thread. Don't let the title scare you. It's just a few of us Starscream collectors showing off and discussing. Theres not any mean spirited I have it and you don't stuff. The pics there will give you an idea of whats out there on both the primary and secondary markets.

Almost forgot. Welcome to the boards and the hobby in general. Just remember to have fun. They are after all only toys.

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome! Its great when some one decides to start collecting it think. Another go place to get some ideas as to what you might want in your collection is to take a look at other members collections. And I forget who said it, but just because some one else here or at other sites have 1,000's of tf's doesn't mean you have to also. Get what you like, try lines out (gees, it really does sound like a drung doesn't it?) See which figures you like, and don't forget the US and Japanese figures both have their perks. I must admit, if there are a couple of figures out there to snag it would be the japanese beast wars 2 lio convoy mold, and the beast wars neo big convoy mold. They are both really great figures. Also, I collect mainly G1 and lines somehow connected to it and to them. Animated is a great line to start with currently. Outside of the fact that they are on the shelves still, they really are great figures! Also, if you can, look into some of the masterpiece figures, the Prime mold is a lot of fun as are the alternator/binaltech figures. There aren't a lot of them so its easy to get a hold of most the molds/characters if you like the line. Well, that's my 2 cents.

20. LoneAndorian

LoneAndorian Enthusiastic Choir Boy

All of the above is good advice. I'm just hear to add my $0.02.

I started collecting by searching for and buying some molds from the series I liked as a youngster, (BW,BM, and Armada), and that sparked my re-interest in the line. The internet can be your friend in finding figures. Whether you're looking for one specific figure, or don't have your sights set on anything special, you can probably find it on line. Big Bad Toy Store is a great place to find TFs ( 90% of the ones that I have acquired recently that haven't been found in stores are from there). Lots of good deals to be had there. They not only have older lines, but also the stuff that is currently on shelves, so you might be able to find one that you just missed at retail, or couldn't find.

Another piece of advice, stay away from repaints. Unless it's a stellar repaint meant to represent your favorite character, or a repaint that looks better than the original version of the mold, stay away from them-they're just ways of getting you to spend your money on things you already have. There are exceptions to this, of course, like the Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswpe mold, or the Universe Prowl/Silverstreak/Smokescreen mold, and the Classics seeker mold ( which are such strong molds that they're worth picking up, and they represent different characters), or other molds, such as the Beast Wars Cheetor mold which was a fantastic mold used to create two fantastic characters ( cheetor and tigatron). Re-molds can be another story. Oftentimes, the remold may represent the same character, such as with some of the Tf1 Premium series figures,and then it just depends if you think the remold is worth your money. Is that remolded head and shinier paint scheme worth the $40 for another Movie Prime? If it's a heavy remold that represents a different character, and does so well, ( like the Classics Starscream mold being used for Ramjet), then it might be worth a purchase. Again, much of it depends on your personal sense of aesthetics. There will probably be a ton of repaints in the new movie line, so this advice may come in handy.

Oh, and welcome to the boards. :)