Customs: Starting a Beechcomber

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I got the HA Sandstorm, and am gonna do a Beechcomber.

I haven't started cutting yet- I'm still in the "staring at and thinking" process.

As for a head, I was gonna run with Classics Hound... but I can't help to think there are better heads. How 'bout HFTD Tomahawk? What other heads are good ones to use?

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Someone used a Tomahawk head for their Beachcomber (with that mold) not too long ago... forget who now. It looks good though. Obviously you've already seen mine with Cybertron Red Alert (someone else has used that one too).

Also, there's the "combiner" head from PCC Doubleclutch. With the head protrusions removed, it could work nicely, and it's about the right size.

zmog

3. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    You might be thinking of seali_me. He's using a Tomahawk.

However Budokhan is using a red alert like you. I'm thinking about following that route myself now.

4. SMOG

Right. I can't believe I forgot it was seali_me... I just was just standing on the street talking to him about that a couple weeks back.

I agree, I think the Red Alert head (or Crankcase in his case, I think) is best too. It even has an obvious place to add Beachcomber's distinctive "headphones". Plus it's a mold that a lot of people have kicking around unloved. :) 

zmog

5. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Snag this figure... the face works perfectly... and the head size is about that of the Sandstorm figure. Got Sandstorm and Lugnutz for this reason... tho when I'll try to bash it... who knows.

Even one caption on his wiki page jokes: "Beachcomber's violent-er cousin."

6. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Huh... Lugnutz.
    I haven't started cutting anything yet, but I was gonna go ahead and use Hound's head. I'll have to keep an eye out for him.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm gonna have a look at one of mine for a Beachcomber custom I've been piddling around with. That's a really good suggestion!

[​IMG]

:) ​

8. SMOG

I'll second that Cybertron Lugnut head! Great suggestion!

zmog

9. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I'm looking at Lugnutz... does he even have a complete head?

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah. If someone is making a scout-sized BC, it may work. I tried it out this morning and it's [yet another head] too small for my purposes.

11. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah... and what I'm working on is more akin to a Deluxe.

Man, what do you call this? HA Basic... but it seems a little bigger than Deluxe. Maybe it's a hybrid thing like RTS Wrek Gar.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    bell, if you're asking me, my custom is from a DotM Comettor. $13 for a voyager and a deluxe is a pretty sweet deal. It's even sweeter with that $5 off coupon that was going on :) 

13. SMOG

Huh? HA Sandstorm is an average-to-large scout, no more. Is RTS Wreck Gar not a Deluxe? I'm not sure what you mean.

If you're starting from the HA figure, I'd say it's a glorified scout. If you give him a slightly larger head (his original head is TINY), he stands about as tall as Classics Bumblebee, though not as bulky... which is not a bad size for Beachcomber, I guess.

Oh yeah, SQ7... you're working at a Deluxe scale. But aren't you going with the HA figure, Bell?

zmog

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am starting with the HA figure. I'm just not sure what scale / class to call him.

I mentioned Werk Gar because he is a deluxe- but a seemingly good size deluxe.

HA Sandstorm might be a glorified scout class figure, but he's a pretty good sized scout. His head just might make it into a custom Sidearm Sideswipe.

SMOG recommended Doubleclutch the other day. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for his as well.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Black Friday may work if you don't find one before then, as Wal*mart is apparently going to have a "value pack" offer of PCCs.

I've shaved down the sides of the head now. I've just got to sculpt the top portion of the head. For my custom, I really think it's gonna work well.

17. SMOG

Beat ya to it. Suggested this in the second post in the thread. ;) 

It does look like a good match for Beachcomber, doesn't it? Don't forget to post pictures soon of the chopped down version... I want to see it! :) 

Yeah, it's sort of complicated by the fact that the size categories are kind of wiggly... and aside from the occasional freak, they get smaller all the time.

Sandstorm is definitely a Scout to my eyes... but he's robust enough that he can probably sit next to most Deluxe cars in both modes, and not seem too far off-scale... especially since his "buggy" mode is practically go-kart sized relative to his HA human figure. If you cut off the steering wheel, he could easily pass for a larger buggy closer to the scale of the other Deluxes.

In bot mode, if he occupies roughly the same size as Classics Bumblebee, that's probably good for Beachcomber, who was a smaller, weaker bot to begin with. Of course, I'm also of the opinion that Classics Bee is a bit too LARGE to look right with other Deluxes anyway, but that's another issue... :) 

zmog

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, mainly when I posted earlier today, I'd already taken off the head, sized it up, and then posted. Certainly my apologies if it seemed that I missed your post! It's gonna work for my purposes now (squeee! :D ).

One of the aspects to my own customs equation I had wasn't "what can I just get", but "what is immediately available to me". When the Cyb Lugnutz was posted, I had that in my bin, so I ran to it (only to be disappointed). PCC 5 packs have came and went here for the time being (Black Friday coming up will prove differently, though!), even at the discount stores.

I'll see what I can do about a photo. :) 

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Photos :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yup.
    That head definitely works for that mold.