Started teaching a class yesterday.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOM, Mar 29, 2006.

1. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    In the few hours of spare time I have I teach a Graphics class in Sayer High School in West Philly. Yesterday was the actual first day of teaching and uh, well it was interesting. Well the school is in the hood and well you get what you expect. I walk in and the school reminded me of the movie "Lean on Me" before Joe Clark fixed it up. Then I get to the computer lab & you open the door and theres a fuckin cage behind the door with a big ass padlock on it. Im like WTF. Then it gets better, I check all computers to see what version of Photoshop is on them, well all the computers had a different version. :thumbdown  It looked hopeless. Then before class started I walk out to search for the bathroom and a guy walked up to me and asks "was anyone else in the class" I say to him "No are you a student?" His reply was he's the instructor. Now I knew I was there replacing the instructor but I never put two & two together. I was told he was gonna be let go for not showing up. He pretty much came when he felt like it. They had no way of contacting him cause his phone was off. Well I guess he felt like coming last night. So I said well since you're here too Let me call and see if one of us has to go, still never realizing this is the dude they fired. So I call the office and the supe hurries down and pulls him in the hall and asks to speak to him.They're out in the Hall for about 5 minutes and he comes back in. So Im thinking he's cool and all, Then the supe who must've been by the door waiting for him comes back in and says" I said Get the Fuck out, your done!!!!!" Then calls the police. I was like damn. He was a nice guy and all too. Just undependable. Well now my class is here and And the fun is just beginning now. They were all of his students and instead of teaching Graphics he had them using geocities making personals. SO Im trying to teach Photoshop with the 5 versions of 7 that we had and this woman keeps interrupting me saying, "Dre ain't teach this!! I don't need this, I wanna make a web page. I explained to her what Im there to teach. She goes off and does what she wants, then get s on her cell and starts talking loudly, then starts talking over me about what Dre was teaching. So Then I told her" Well Go the Hell home then, Dre isn't coming back so maybe you shouldn't." Wrong thing to do on the first day and all. She's an older woman so she'll understand. Ala & all my day sucked. Thursday better be a better day or someone will get cursed at. :thumbdown 

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Damn, didn't know you were a teacher and a bouncer. Nice combo.

3. TOM

Ebay:
    Just got this job last week. Lets see, graphics for Verizon by day, teaching Tuesday & Thursday evenings, bounty hunting by night, Protection Agency on Weekends. Sleep is rare. On that note I've been up 30hrs straight after all 3 jobs yesterday. *Shakes while typing*

4. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    And this is why I thank my parents every opportunity I get for sending me to parochial schools instead of putting me through the public school system.

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Couldn't get through it. I need paragraphs. :( 

6. TOM

Ebay:
    sorry not thinking clear.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Sounds tough man.. I hope the next class is better for you. Are you replacing him on permanent basis or just a fill in til they can find another teacher? Looks like the class needs some law and order to keep those rowdy people in line. Bring a baseball bat next time and show them who's boss. :lol 

8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

*sees title "Started teaching a class today*

MY GOD THEY LET YOU NEAR KIDS! (ok that was my first respsonse)

After reading though, that's a story for the kids when they get older. Any story that paralells Morgan Freeman's best movie is a good one.

9. TOM

Ebay:
    I hope its better too. Im permanent. And yes They'd be afraid to know what they're dealing with if they got rowdy. The class is teens & adults. I don't need a bat, I can show them my Recovery Unform or tell them to go to the happy on Saturday night & see me in action. ;) 

On the other hand Im not a violent guy at all. Just when Im on the other job.

10. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Meh. Graphic arts are no match for the martial arts.

11. TOM

Ebay:
    WERD! :D 

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Congrats on the new job, TOM.

13. TOM

Ebay:
    Here I sit. No one here yet. Can you say, Free 2 hrs.:) 

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude, you need to get you own reality show and all will be well.

15. TOM

Ebay:
    Well class ended yesterday til September. Some free time. Yay!

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That story made me say "ugh"

Nothing makes you more drained then a completely unprofessional environment.

No one should need a class for geocities. Good for you for standing your ground and teaching graphics in a graphics class.

17. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

How did the kids react when they knew you were a gangster? :p 

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Listen to me, and listen good.

I have been teaching in one capacity of another for fifteen years. I have a lot of time and money invested in my job. In short, it is too late for me.

But there IS hope for you. Turn around and leave. Do not deviate from your path. Do not glance back, and whatever you do, do NOT look into the Ark.