Starsiege Tribes: 9 Years of Glory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Depthcharge, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello everyone,

I recently heard the news that Sierra Entertainment has, as of August 16th, ended all support for the classic online PC game, Starsiege Tribes.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Tribes series, Tribes was released 9 years ago and was among the first fully online/multiplayer games to place heavy emphasis on team based combat. Tribes was best known for its unique FPS + Z game play, in which players were not confined to running around flat levels but could also engage a short duration jet pack to soar through the skies to better move through the terrain or to take advantage of floating bases and obstacles. Tribes also incorporated, for the first time that I can remember, vehicular game play much the same way that newer games like Halo do. Perhaps the best known characteristic of Starsiege Tribes was its unparalleled capacity for customization. During its 9 year life span Tribes saw nearly 50 major mods that changed everything about the game from adding new weapons, armors, and maps (most done without the need to download and install anything extra).

Starsiege Tribes was the first of a series that spawned 3 sequels, each of which improved graphics and innovated on some feature of the game or another, but none of which were able to fill the sizable shoes of the original. There is or at least was a huge online community dedicated to the Tribes series. National conventions were held regularly for several years.

As you can tell, I am deeply saddened to see Starsiege Tribes come to an end. I spent many many hours online making friends, shooting strangers, and competing in tournaments. Though some new private master servers are being set up to take over where Sierra Entertainment left off, to most, the end of the road has been reached.

If there is anyone out there on TFW2005 who is or what a tribesman, post a few words here and include your Tribes alias.

In memory of Starsiege Tribes,
    -DC (=3K= GreasySpoon)

UPDATE: Check out these YouTube links below for a look at the very best of Tribes.

Skill
    Speed
    Teamwork

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Damn, I used to play tribes constantly 5 years ago or so. I was deadly with a disc launcher. Sad to hear this is gone.

3. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I have to say, I loved playing the game, but I seriously sucked.

And wasn't it only two sequels? Tribes 2 and Tribes: Vengeance?

It was a spinoff from the Metaltech series of games, interestingly enough.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I remember picking i up in '99 and playing the hell out of it with my roommate. Ah, such fond memories.