Starscream's Design

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UltraPrimus56, Dec 28, 2011.

1. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

This may have been done already, Idk im new here but, can you guys give me your opinions about Screamer's design in the movies, how you liked it or didnt, and give a reason why. I personally like it to an extent, the idea is cool but, he's just too wide, I mean Starscream is suppose to be cunning and sneaky in which he should have a sleek design. I think they should have made his wings protrude more, compact his sides in more, and make his head a bit bigger, and give him the ability to smirk as well. But yea give me your thoughts.

2. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I like his design for what it is, but I agree with you, it's not a Starcream design.

The alt. mode that they picked is huge and they had to make the mass go somewhere. They probably could have gotten away with a sleek and small enough robot mode with an F-16 (one of the smallest fighters), but that's still big in comparison to road vehicles. But they wanted the newest and best alt. mode which at the time was a F-22.

In the movies you can't have everyone change into robot modes that are the same size like you can in an 80s cartoon. :lol 

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I liked it. It was a very alien design and that's exactly what sold me on the aesthetic of the live action movies.

4. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

The only thing I didn't like was his mouth's design didn't allow him to keep the saliva in his mouth. Hence his drooling problem, lol.

5. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    I liked it as much as every other movie design. I liked how bird-like Starscream was and I really felt that tied in with his function as a sky warrior. I do agree with you that he probably should've been sleeker in accordance to the Starscream character we(or rather others, as the movies were my first window into Transformers) are used to.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I didn't like it at all.

The alt mode was okay but until the F-22 actually sees combat it's an over glorified concept aircraft. Just about every aircraft ever built has some flaw that isn't found until combat so I'm sure price isn't the only issue the aircraft will ever have.

Not a fan of backwards knees. Call it a weird evolution thing of mine but creatures that are of the same species should share some things in common so backwards knees while other robots had the more mammal style of knees is just one of those little details that will drive me up the wall.

The chest on Starscream seemed more like something for Beast Wars Primal than for Starscream. Maybe if He-Man was a Transformer the design would work for him, but other than being a jet and canopy in the chest there was nothing to say Starscream, especially when those two features are not unique to Starscream in Transformers history.

And of course a lack of a smirk. I just like my Starscream to be an arrogant prick you can't wait to get punched in the face, not some slobbering monster.

7. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

I personally don't like it. He looks like a giant metal dorito with chicken legs.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I actually like the design VERY much!:)  I can see why many people don't like him but in a way he's also unique among his other versions for me that is.

Like some people said his bird like legs makes sense for him since he's a flyer and if he's going to be quick with his pray he needs to land and take off fast as he could. I have the feeling that the other Starscream may not have that good an advantige espically since many of them have high heels!:lol 

His robot mode looks strong and agile at the same time which makes him more of a threat if you think about it. His face does look like a serpent come to think of t.

Anyway that's my thoughts on him and he's kind of underrated too.

9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I like it. It matches his (movie) character as a cowardly, hunched, igor-type servant to Megatron. It also makes sense for him to be wider than he is tall, or else he would tower over nearly everyone else (Optimus in particular).

And then the DOTM Deluxe made me love it.

10. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

For me it took some getting used to at first, but I've actually grown rather fond it since.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

He still always looks strange to me. I have a toy of the design, and while it's a cool toy, it's just not Starscream. If they manipulated the proportions a little bit, make him less wide, he could make a VERY imposing Starscream. The tiny chicken legs on that wide body always look strange.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think the movie design is simply fantastic.

• He has a "star" shape to his silhouette.
    • His wings are immediately evocative of his G1 design.
    • Same goes for his cockpit-chest.
    • His leg design is suggestive of a bird's legs.
    • His face design is suggestive of a jet-pilot's oxygen mask.
    That's a bunch of pretty inspired and relevant, character-specific design-elements.

And he kinda had to be wide and squat like he is, considering how gigantic his alt. mode is compared to those of other characters who are supposed to be bigger than him.

Plus, the Cybertronian tattoos they added later look pretty cool.

No complaints here!

:D 

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This. Just plain ugly.

14. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

I look at Movie Starscream and he does not remind me of G1 Starscream at all. If it wasn't a fact that Movie Starscream's name is Starscream, he could easily be someone else. I wouldn't even know that's Starscream. Maybe the wings and the cockpit-chest would give me a clue, but his colors are not the same, his head/face design should atleast be similar to his G1 head/face, which it's not, and he should have normal legs.

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's a Dorito with Tatoos and Chicken Legs. How is that not awesome?

16. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Were back to 2007, aren't we?

17. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

I prefer to call him Grunt-Scream. I'm pretty sure everyone sees the similarity between Movie Screamer and the Grunt from Halo.

Anyways, the design, while overall it's passable, just doesn't feel like Starscream. And there's nothing that stands out and says "HELLO. I'M STARSCREAM AND I'M A PRICK." No smirk, no sleekness. Look at Prime Starscream, he's not in G1 colors or has a helmet, but with that smirk and voice, you can definatley tell it's Starscream.

18. LumpimusPrime

LumpimusPrime Autobot

Well, we've been using the F-22 IN COMBAT for a few years now, you don't hear much about it because the majority of its capabilities are classified. While it does have it's issues, like you said, every military aircraft has run into issues. It IS a dominant bad ass fighter, and a great choice for Starscream's alt but his robot mode is my least favorite of any movie design.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Still not much of a fan of the design. They should have used the head used for the TFTM Voyager Thundercracker figure.

I also hate the fact he's only a coward and lacks the cunningness or brilliance the other Starscream's have....the part that makes him awesome.

20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    The design is FANTASTIC imo. It's what got me back into TF's.

It has always been a TF movie-verse defining design, instantly recognizable and with a very strong silhouette. It's not even about the fragmented metal look people usually attack the movie designs for, because that's just surface detail. No, it's about this very distinguished overal shape of movie Starscream's design, the overal proportions and posture. The star is in his botmode and this angular style is perfectly represented in the F22 jetmode, which I find to be the most beautiful fighter jet ever.

Even when other characters with chicken legs show up, friends & foes then refer to movie Starscream.

People's fallacy is to think sleek equals narrow ; while movie Starscream is wide like a kite. What do kites do well ?

Also, his Starscream characteristics translated well through this design : just see the many interactions between him and Megatron throughout the trilogy.

Anyway, his design was a very VERY much needed breeze of fresh air in TF designs