Starscream's betrayal forced?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by zark225, Apr 7, 2012.

1. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was playing WFC last night and it was the "Death of Hope" mission where Megatron, Soundwave, and Breakdown are chased by Omega Supreme. I was thinking today about the part where Starscream announces how he is the leader. Megatron gets pissed off and says that Starscream would pay.

After that NOTHING is ever mentioned about it! At the time Omega Supreme was the main concern, but it would have been nice to see it play out a bit in the story. Instead it just felt a little shoehorned in to have Starscream betray Megatron at some point, as a nod to previous incarnations, and, of course, his overall characterization.

Thoughts?

2. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Megatron might of punished him after as we didnt see what happened straight after omegas death/cybertrons corruption

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Since WFC is one big homage to G1, I'm not surprised, Megatron would always threaten SS but never actually do anything in G1.

4. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol true. During the course of the level it is a nice homage, and even very cool when it happens, just afterward it really is pointless in terms of the story and how its completely unresolved. Even a mention of it or Megatron saying "I will watch Starscream more closely" would have been nice. Just seems a sort of cheap way to have a G1 homage in there

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    "Forced" accurately describes much of WFC's story. It's one big rehash of G1 concepts in everything except, ironically, the main plot itself. (Dark Energon, yadda yadda) It all feels like a bad G1 fan fiction.

6. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Personally, I was surprised Starscream even tried to usurp Megatron at all. He wasn't 2nd in command in WFC - in fact, he'd literally just joined the cause. All of Starascream's backstabbing in G1 was when he was the next in line. But in WFC, he wasn't next in line.

Unless he was promoted really fast and I missed it...

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Progression up the Decepticon hierarchy these days kind've strikes me as, "Megatron either knows your name or he don't."

I mean hell, for the initial assault on Iacon; after having performed exactly 1 mission as a Decepticon and not even to Megatron's satisfaction -- Starscream had already been given his own command (of the diversionary attack fleet) and direct say over where and how Dark Energon bombers would be deployed.

8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    They wanted to show Starscream's origin as a Decepticon, but also wanted to make it as much like '84 as fast as possible.

The result is an incredibly lackluster and contrived origin for the second most famous Decepticon ever and a ridiculously implausible motivation and means to make a grab for command.

9. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Starscream was only talking about it, and Megatron probably thought i will deal with him later if he continue, and then he thougth Starscream wants to be in a higher position in rank due to he was a commander in a space station. But Starscream will start his actions to take the leadership when his clones arrives in FOC, then Megatron will get personal about it.

10. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He mentioned in the mission where he and Skywarp and Thundercracker go to activate the Energon bridge, but in "Death of hope" he actually tries to claim leadership. He says something along the lines "Decepticons, Megatron has fallen... I Starscream have taken my rightful place as leader!" in true G1 fashion. Its so random and really has no place in the context of the story

11. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me at least, the story emplies that a bit of time has passed between Starscream joining Megatron and the attack on Iacon.

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Which is bullcrap, because you don't cut out the origin story when you're telling the origin story.

That'd be like Batman Begins cutting out Bruce meeting and training with Ra's al Ghul, and going straight to him being Batman, but still keeping Ra's in the plot later.

13. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it seems like it may be a factor in FOC

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Actually that's exactly what it's like.

15. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No because after the Energon Bridge was activated Megatron says they are going to launch an attack immediately.

16. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Well its how starscream is and if you think about it starscream couldnt get megatrons signal so he thought he would try take leadership if megatron was dead or not starscream will always try and become leader its just how he is

17. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    GOD THIS!!!!!!

What happened to the picture with Starscream with a crown on in the backround, huh?

18. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I agree with you there, I'm just saying it didn't have ANY place in the story other than to have another Starscream that would betray Megatron. I don't mind references, but it just sorta... happens. Never mentioned again. Starscream saying to Thundercracker and Skywarp that he will be the Decepticon was a good reference to his true nature.

19. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

But doesn't that sort of heirarchy perfectly suit a malevolent group of predatory, brutal thugs? I can't imagine for some reason that Decepticons form a council and assign members ranks based upon who's paid their dues/is best at what yadda yadda, its more of a:

Megatron: I'm the leader because I say so - anyone have a problem with that?

Generic: Yeah, I do!

(Megatron kills him)

Megatron: Anyone else?

Starscream: No mighty Megatron, we live only to serve you!

Megatron: Good. (Turns around and gets shot in the back)

Basically leadership is only contended by who wants it the most and what they're willing to do to get it, by fair means or foul - the other Decepticons just tag along out of fear/because it suits them (ie psychos who get a kick out of the violence or mercenaries after the spoils of war)/because they're waiting in the shadows for their own shot at the top.

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I'm sorry...but I found Megatron's furious, "I WILL RIP THE SPARK OUT OF YOU FOR THIS YOU HALFWIT I STILL FUNCTION" ranting hilarious in the betrayal "scene." As well as "ANY DECEPTICON WHO IS SEEN FLEEING THE BATTLE WILL BE MARKED KILL ON SIGHT".