Customs: Starscream's air brake/jet back

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by not_prime, Jan 21, 2008.

1. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

For everyone who owns a Hasbro MP Starscream, does anyone know of a way to push down (and keep down), or mod the large piece that contains the air-brake, and holds down the wings? You know how it sticks up near the nose-end of the jet? I want to rectify that.

2. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe the easiest way is to file/sand down the leading edge of that part (where it meets the cockpit part) until it fits flush... the end is ever-so-slightly too long.

3. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

You sure? Because mine is raised slightly in the middle of the piece as well.

4. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd suggest taking that piece off and sanding all 4 sides--there's flashing all along it. I've done that to all my MP seekers and it works great.

5. SonRay

SonRay Banned

This is a common problem, and the only way to fix it is how other people have stated above. However IMO its such a trivial thing it isnt worth ruining the value of your figure to fix.

6. StarFire_MK2

Ebay:
    If you use high-enough git sandpaper (e.g., 1000), for the final clean-up cuts, you'll never even see sanding marks ;) . Use 250-300 grit for the initial sanding.

7. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Nah, you will always be able to see marks. Unless you prime over it and paint it you'll always see marks if its closely inspected.

8. StarFire_MK2

Ebay:
    I must disagree with you on this point; you can polish glass or plastic with high enough grits.

9. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

What I do is I just scrape off the sanding scratches with a scalpel. Works wonders. Just need to stop sanding a little early. Oh, and SonRay, I really don't care about the value of my TFs, because I'm never gonna sell them. I'm not a collector who values the toy, I'm a collector of toys so I can just fool around with them.

Speaking of which, anyone know where to get MP Megs cheap?

10. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    That's not true... if you go from say, 400 grit, up to 600, and then use something like copy-paper and t-shirt rags, you will polish it to an indistinguishable surface...

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    wait... didn't someone recommend sanding off bumblebee's stripes with sandpaper last month?

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I believe so.

Anyway, sandpaper can me masked with proper grit and a little polish.

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Not in my experience you wont. You will still be able tot ell it has been altered no matter what, but as he said he doesn't care about that so it doesn't matter.

14. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Theres a bloody huge difference between using some sand paper to rub off some stripes, and using it to file down large pieces of plastic.

For one, fine grit sandpaper which wont leave marks on the plastic wont carve enough plastic away to be effective, AKA its a waste of time. You'll spend hours and hours sanding down before you see any difference, even longer before its an effective difference. To have any effect you will need to use a lower grit grade sandpaper or a nail file to have any effect on the plastic. which will leave marks and lines.

Now with paint details however its totally different, because for one you use the sand paper wet to remove paint details and the super fine grit sand paper has just enough friction behind it to take away the Hasbro factory-applied paint which usually comes off with a light breeze with the aid of alcohol. But if not sand paper is an obvious choice to use instead, hence why i recommended it to that person who wanted the stripes removed from BB and wasn't having any luck with the alcohol.

I know it works this way for a fact because i have done it.

15. Wreckgar

What the hell are you talking about? I remember a thread like 4 pages of people saying yes/no to sanding down the stripes. That's what I believe he was talking about.

Anyway, I have sanded down parts for Alt kitbashes and so have others and with the proper touching up, it looks fine.

And since I see you edited just now...

I have no intnetion on getting in a pissing contest with you. I really dont care enough. However for the benefit of the topic started, he does have options that will work. If he is careful and because it's such a small part, it very well can be sanded down.

So yes, I know my tools and yes I understand how they work.

[​IMG]

16. SonRay

SonRay Banned

And this was the theory we was disputing. Someone said it would look fine without some touch up, but it will not. However with some extra work and touch up it will look fine (i.e. maybe some primer, smooth that down, then add some durable paint), but just leaving it after using course sandpaper on plastic will leave marks.

Well, now thats cleared up we can move on.

[​IMG] indeed.

17. Wreckgar

he could very well just sand it down and it could be fine depending on the sandpaper. I, as well as others touch it up for other effects.

The thread starter even mentions his own method of sanding and it works for him. So I really don't see the problem. It is completely possible, as others have done, to sand down without scratches. Before paitning my Alt Robo-1, I did some sanding and got no scratches.

I have no doubt that your method works. But there are other possible ways that work as well.

18. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    ...I sand plastic all the time... how do you think people (myself and many others) remove flash, mold lines, and extra materials from plastic models? I've worked on just about every plastic that would be used for toys and models out there, and even the hard stuff (read: toy quality) sands right down... and polishes smooth again.

19. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Yes i am totally aware of this and never said sandpaper doesn't work to begin with! What i was disputing was that you cant sand plastic down without leaving marks, and thus needs some touch up afterwards. People were saying that you could do that and get away with not leaving any marks and not polish the area or touch it up or whatever afterwards, and that just isn't true or at least not in my experience.

20. Wreckgar

And there it is. Your experience is one thing. Others however may have had different experiences. That's all.