Starscream - what the hell happened?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Yggdrasil, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Ok so I was reading some old interviews and stuff all way back from 2007 before the first movie and such...and I remembered how hyped up I was about Starscream's character. The writers had a really awesome idea for him and his motivations.

The original idea for movie Starscream as I understood it back then was someone who just got fed up with Optimus and Megatron's shit, seeing them as nothing more than war criminals who will doom the Cybertronian race and decided to take matters in his own hands for the greater good of the species, but ended up loosing sight of his ultimate goal and, much like Megatron, ended up corruped, loosing himself in his thirst for power.

That is a fucking awesome Starscream as far as I'm concered. It gives him a reason to oppose the Autobots, and gives him also a valid reason to rebbel against Megatron.

So why was all of this scrapped in the second and third movie and we got sniveling, spitting,suck-up nincampoop that got killed by Sam of all people?

I know that people will come and say "Durr but that's what the fans wanted".

No, Starscream being a useless coward works in things like Animated where it's played for shit and giggles (and even then he was 10 times more badass than the movie Starscream) but this Starscream got some serious potential that all went down the drain...

2. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I agree wholeheartedly. I loved TF1 Starscream.

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    The comics made up for it. In Reign of Starscream, he was the guy who got sick of Prime's and Megs's shit because it destroyed Cybertron. Hell, he created a replica All-Spark and sacrificed his prisoners to power it. Of course, it didn't go according to plan.

As for the movies, I can guess there wasn't enough time to develope Screamer into that. Since the movies appear to be 70% human, 30% robots.

I'm not entirely sure.

4. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Who knows? Were there any ROTF trivia or interviews or something that might have mentioned the change in character direction?

My only guess is that they changed Screamer's personality to cater to the G1 style of the character to keep the fans happy or something. I don't know :( 

5. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I agree that Starscream is one of the characters with the most wasted potential. The Fallen, Devastator and Megatron are on top of that list.

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So pretty much all the big baddies (Shockwave being up there too). Shame.

8. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

He just acts like that in front of Megatron. At least he sent Ironhide and Ratchet running, led the decepticons on the ground in the battle of ROTF, and had the pleasure of being allowed to kill all of the Autobots in DOTM, and if they'd stayed dead he'd have killed 9 autobots at once, including Optimus. And Megatron let him do that.

9. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    What Decepticons had a good showing after the first movie? Lazerbeak. Every other major Con SUCKED. So theres one answer why Starscream had a poor showing... Increased Michael Bay involvement. It was Bay alone that decided to make the Cons shitty. Hes the director, so ultimately.he decides their lines and actual fighting in scenes.

I was pissed too. I believe Starscream could have been awesome. I thought the other Cons could have been great, but character is not a Bay strongsuit, and as such, the Cons suffered greatly.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    They did it because KERSPLOSIONS! BAYGASM!

11. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Read Reign of Starscream!. IF you make a thread like this, you're obliged to read it.

Also; In movie 1 he kicked butt. ROTF & DOTM are both downhill movies; for every Decepticon, not just Starscream.
    About his DOTM ending; well, ANY Decepticon who would have faced Sam would have been killed. Why !? Well, because it's Sam and the human hero has to survive, right Bay ?

12. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    2 words: Michael Bay

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's all about Villain Decay, man. They needed to put him into the movie to sell toys, but couldn't afford to have him overshadow the other villains, especially the new big bad.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would have loved this Starscream had they gone ahead with their original plan.

Plus he too believes Optimus is a war criminal. :thumb 

15. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

I agree that he could have been better, but I loved him regardless. He led the cons for decades in the first movie, took down Ironhide and Ratchet single handedly, blew off Bumblebee's legs, and took down four F-22s. The second movie he led the cons for two years, managed to take on Prime with his saw by himself before Megatron round-house Optimus, he led the cons on the ground during the final battle, and actually managed to convince Megatron to make a tactical retreat. In the third movie, he insulted the condition Megatron was in when they were in Africa, was sarcastic on complimenting Megatron's "greatest triumph", destroyed the autobot's ship by himself, took down three Ospreys, and was killed by Sam.

So yeah, his personality could have been A LOT better... But it was his actions, and what he did that makes me love him.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I loved this Starscream. Not every character needs to be an uber badass. Lord knows we have plenty of those in the movies already. I love how bumbling and arrogant he is on the ground, yet in the air he's unstoppable. He really is an air commander, but just air commander.

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Absolutely. You take him out of the air and put him against insects which have pretty lethal technology, he's easy game.

And even on the ground, he's not really that easy. He whooped Ironhide and Ratchet's ass in a few seconds, at least helped wear Optimus down in the forest, and led the Decepticons in the final battle of ROTF until Megs arrived.

In the air he really is unstoppable. The scene of him battling the F-22's in the first film was jaw-droppingly epic, brief as it was.

I do wish we'd seen a bit more of his treacherous side in the films; in the ROTF games he's more aggressive about his Starscream-iness. I laughed my ass off whenever he smarted off to Megs. Imagine if in DOTM, Sentinel ordered Starscream to shoot Megatron off the building. "Oh how it pains me to do this!"

18. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really loved the idea of Starscream being more of an antihero/antivillain like that. It's really quite a shame that they abandoned that.

19. tfomegaprime

tfomegaprime tail pipe

WTF?Your giving starscream to much fucking favoritism and thats why the writers didnt air this shit because they would focus more on him. Plus if this was the movie script the tiltle would be STARSCREAM AND THE TRANSFORMERS plus the director wouldnt have enought to give the characters enought charecter development ,meaning op and megatron would be minor characters and tf1 would be just like rotf.leave that to TFP theyre doing that with him now hes a rebel there to the autobots and decepticons and this would take much more than 3 hours to air and woud overflow the budget of the film and would depict him more as megatron than the g1 coward that basically every tf fan knows

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Counterpoint: Reign of Starscream ruled.