Starscream Mass Accounting

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by alec.zander, Mar 1, 2007.

1. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

Starscream Mass Accounting -

So, for Starscream in the film, we've all gathered that the his bulky torso comes from trying to make a jet not too huge in bot mode. But still some questions -

in the leaked character designs, he has a big, bulky torso and long arms.

For the toy, it seems like they almost had the opposite problem. They didn't have ENOUGH mass for the arms and legs, so the underside got waaay fat AND they added these huge missile racks under wings for arms.

How do you think that squares up? I think Starscream in the film might end up being rather wide, but maybe quite flat, (front to back). So he might not be as "hulking" as feared. Your take?

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i think he'll be wide, but not too slim. there's a lot of jet there. and as for the toy...toys often inaccurate depictions of what they are supposed to represent. if i were you i'd just totally disregard how the toy looks.

3. alec.zander

well, the other toys we've seen pics of seem to follow the leaked concept boards quite closely. This is also true of Starscream's toy and concept art, down to a lot of details.

Basically on the toy, the F-22's regular fuselage is almost entirely the bot-mode's legs, and so the arms ended up being totally separate... therefore huge "additions" in the alt-mode. In the film version ... I guess the joints are just more efficiently integrated, or something.

Question - so in the film version, does he have hands or guns on arms?

4. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Hands, turn into guns.

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Considering he is by far one of the largest vehicles in the film, I don't think the desingers will have to worry about running out of mass. The toy just suffers from good ol' fashion mediocrity (IMO). The ILM transformation will undoubtedly solve alot of these problems. If anything, I would be worried that Starscream has too much mass.

6. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

Starscream doesn't need to be as big as he is.

What's the point in making him shorter if you're only going to make him bulkier anyway? He's not going to find it any harder to overthrow megatron if his centre of gravity is actually notable better(a big advantage in cross city giant robot battles, but not if your design ends up sucking as a result).

The chicken legs are just nonsensical. I mean, is he really going to look far too powerful just because he bends his legs the right way?

Oh no! I can never overthrow Megatron, my legs are too short! Oh wait! I can CHANGE THEIR POSITION! Now I have the power I need to rule the universe!

I don't understand this design decision at all. There are SOME likable aspects of Starscream's design, he "almost" has wings and a vaguely remeniscant chest, but he's just not Starscream. He'd make more sense for the more brutish Skywarp, or one of the coneheads.

Starscream should have been a smaller plain. The fans really wanting an F-15 is no excuse(he's not an F-15 anyway), I refuse to believe the designers wouldn't also take into account the fans caring that he looked like Starscream if they cared about that.

There's also an F-series, I'm pretty sure, that looks essentially like a smaller version of the F-22. I think it's the one Energon Starscream is based on(a pretty good design, IMO). They should have used that.

*sorry for the rant, is a Starscream fangirl :( *

7. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

they get the coolest jet in the air force(F/A 22 Raptor) and make it transform into a heap of junk. Curse you Michael Bay

8. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

I don't know if we should blame Michael Bay, but the designers.

I think Bay probably has been involved in a lot more design decisions than some people would think, but I think on Starscream that the designers gave him the same BS "it's the only way we can transform it" that I've heard a lot of people I had the misfortune to talk to seem to give.

It's just the Starscream they wanted. He just "appears" to solve some problems associated with the larger jet on the surface, and that was probably taken into account(very badly). But they obviously just didn't like Starscream's design very much.

9. alec.zander

OK OK, I think we've covered our initial dissatisfaction with his bot-mode. Structure/function responses only please!

10. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

That is part of it, though. Starscream's jet is much bigger than anything else, which supposedly leads to the "Bad" bot mode. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... we've seen the designs already...

11. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

but it is funner to blame him(i know i broke the english grammer law)

12. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

I guess so.

I just wish that this movie could please a lot more people. There are always "haters" but the people being called "Haters" here aren't really of the same breed, just driven to it. I don't see why "Hate" is a negative thing anyway - it is a force for change.

The real tragedy is that everyone's fighting... what a time to pick to start posting on TF boards :( 

13. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

the truth is...we are always fighting, that is the fun of posting here

14. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

I don't think so - fighting only means people end up disliking each other, and otherwise people end up being banned or disrespected.

I guess we could go all SEED Destiny and blame everything, Apescream and the "Haters", on LOGOS, the secret society that hope to ruin Transformers fandom in order to make a quick buck off... um... something...

15. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

i have been here since august, there has never been a day without a fight going on, but fighting has calmed down with the closing of the fuzzy

16. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

I'm still of the opinion that the new Joint Strike Fighter would have made a much better alt than the Raptor. It's a fair bit smaller and stuff...

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Back on topic people, this thread is about Starscream’s transformation not internet fighting or Mike Bay.

18. Black Widow

Black Widow Banned

We've known quite a bit from about the movie since before August, I think.

I mean, the flames on Prime are still one of the harsher decisions, and people got the idea they didn't even try a flatnose(A "Proper" Prime has never been a long nose; the only Prime in fiction that is, is Armada Prime, G1, G2, RiD, Energon and Cybertron Primes were all Flat nosers of some description, it just suits his demeanor better somehow :p ).

I'm sure before the movie info it was better... :( 

19. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

the raptor rules, did yall know that energon starscream is also a f/a 22 raptor

20. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:

That and the questions being anwsered with each leak. I think SS should look cool, obviously the splitting in half was some form of size reduction that we had discussed a little while ago. I cant help but think that SS will have so much more going on in the movie.

All I know is he is Bad @zz to me. :)