Starscream Coronation Set

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red Alert, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    here is a photo gallery and review of the new mp-03 mp-06 coronation set.
    the set contains a crown and shoulder pads with a optional cape attachment.Overall the set is very well made and its packaging is nice for displaying.

The crown and shoulders fit securely on both starscream and skywarp.
    The cape is cosmetic only and should have been longer and a better quality fabric.
    a deeper review and more pics will be added once i play with it some more.:D 

So far i would give it a :thumb up and a must buy for the starscream fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought they had a cut-out in the middle of the cape, because its supposed to go in front of his wings, and the cut-out allows clearance of the kibble in the center of his back.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    there is only 2 slits on the cape for the shoulder clips.it is possible to attach from underneath but it is a tight fit with the u shape at the top.
    [​IMG]
    WHEN'S IT GONNA BE MY TIME?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yes, that's what I was talking about. that's why the U-shape cut-out is there, so it can go around underneath the back kibble, in front of the wings.

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    here is a pic of the insert that came in the packaging.With a bio of screamer post death.
    there is a ad for the cliffjumper upgrade along with energon cubes.
    There is also 3 blades for prime red,blue and black?
    [​IMG]
    here's a close up
    [​IMG]
    and the bio.(If you cant read it let me know and ill post the speech
    [​IMG]

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Did anyone order from the guy at this email address:

chenkofs@hotmail.com

?

Just wondering. I preordered from him in February (he posted in the original news thread claiming to be one of the guys behind the project, and he's answered one of emails since in early March), but now he's not answering my emails. I assume he's busy, but just wondered if anyone ordered from him directly instead of an online store.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    mine was off of joshuasmile509 on ebay.I paid on the 12th and got it on the 17th.

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    no reason to worry yet as the online stores still havn't gotten any in yet.

9. misfit1015

misfit1015 Well-Known Member

Search ebay for masterpiece starscream, theres a guy that has hundreds of them for like $25 apiece and i think he's in the US.

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
  11. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

Kickass!! Looks like I'll be placing an order!! :D 
    Thanks for the review!!

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    WHOO HOO! Got mine today! Will post high res pics tonight.

13. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Green, not black. Supposedly goes well with Leader Brawl.

Anyone else wish they used a different fabric that wasn't so susceptible to fraying?

14. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Well, despite my initial determination not to buy this, a fellow board member offered me an irresistible deal on one of the SS sets, and my resolve weakened.

I got it in today, and I wish I had better things to say about this set.

While the sculpt is okay and all, the paint is pretty bad. On mine, the gold paint used on the crown is already flaking off, and the red paint, which wasn't very well-applied to begin with, is applied on top of the gold paint, so it's coming off too. It's falling off in a metallic powder that is all over my hands now, even from gently handling the stuff and carefully clothing it on my MP:SS.

The gold accents on the shoulder pieces are painted with the same powdery gold paint, and it's sort of crumbling off onto the purple inbetween the raised areas. I've tried to clean it off the purple bits with a dry q-tip, but it just ends up making more of a mess. Now I've got gold bits that already look worn, and lots of gold dust all over the place. You can already see some of this effect in Tamo's "in package" photos.

The crown fits snugly onto his head, but it's so big it means his head motion is now reserved to looking straight forward. You can get him to look off to the side, if you situate his head before you put the crown on. Once it's on, don't bother trying to move his head. The crown tines won't move past his shoulder vents either way. And you'll scrape off more gold paint in the process.

Likewise, the shoulder pauldrons are great and all, if you don't want him posed any other way besides the photos above. The little pivot points on the shoulders, that the pauldrons attach to -- they turn, but the pauldrons themselves are too narrow to tilt along with it if you've rotated the upper arms at ALL, so they're pretty much stuck at a 90° angle.

You can't turn the shoulders too far to the back, before either the pauldrons hit the wings or fall off. You can't raise the arms, or adjust his guns, because they're all in the way. So don't think you'll be able to pose him like he was in his last moments of life -- it just won't work. Plus they tend to get in the way of the front vent covers on either side of his shoulder intakes, the ones that fold up over the back of his shoulders.

The cape is not too terrible, but it's very much in need of some ironing after being folded 2x in the package. The way it's cut without any hemming, it's prone to fraying -- which is GREAT if you're trying to recreate "Mid death scene starscream" but not so great for display. I wish it was a more shimmery or silky type material, but it gets the point across. It's also a little hard to get it properly situated on SS's back, around all the kibble; it CAN be done, but you're going to have to leave some bits unplugged.

Basically, in order to use this set effectively for any sort of pose, you're going to have to give up on a lot of accepted proper transformations. Parts are going to have to be removed (like the shoulder intake bits and hip wings, as Tamo did) or adjusted (like the back kibble and wings) and you're going to have to settle for a figure that looks nice enough but you'd better not touch.

Sorry -- I hate to be so negative, because I really admire the design, effort, and ingenuity that went into producing this set... it's a SPECTACULAR attempt for a small amateur group, and thoughtfully dedicated as an homage to a lost member. So I wish I could just rave and rave about this accessory set, but I just don't like the materials it's made of, or the way it fits...and I really don't approve of the way most online retailers are jacking the price WAY higher than it probably should be.

I've got my fingers crossed for the Ultra Magnus set. :( 

15. GogDog

News Credits:
    ShadowStich, I can't really argue with your complaints. I will say this though: I am just glad to have the mold for the crown and shoulder pads, as I can paint them myself later. The cape, I can simply use as a pattern for use with better material later. So for me, $20 was still worth it to me after the complaints.

For better pictures, click HERE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    maybe the cape would be better if you washed it one time [got the stiffness out of it a little bit]

still, a very enticing product!

17. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you've got a combination of bad luck, and being overly critical going on here. There were gold flakes all over on mine when I got it. I went over everything with a toothbrush and everything is clean and nothing is flaking. I even vigorously rubbed to crown to see if it was going to flake off, and it didn't. So in that aspect I would say you have some bad luck. As far as posing the figure with the kit on, what exactly did you expect? The shoulders barely clear other parts with just his null ray attached, much less shoulder pads! As far as the crown goes. I'd rather have a bulky one that you have to remove to turn his head, over a flimsy one that has clips that break the first time you remove it.

All in all I'm pleased with it. Yeah they used cheap paint, and cloth, but every now and then so does Takara, and Hasbro. At it's current price it's worth the money in my book.

18. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ya i got mine and no flaking and no fraying it just looks awsome

19. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

hey tamo, your crown jewel mold is different than the one pictured above and the one i got in the mail today...

what gives?

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Got mine today. Love it!