Stargate Universe - Cast photo and teaser

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Zathras, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Cox must have run one of their own commercials over the teaser here because I certainly didn't see it and I was plastered to the couch for all three hours of Daybreak.

3. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

Saw this on Gate World. I am really excited for this show! I love Stargate and all it's spin offs. SGU is interesting because as gate world was reporting: "the clip reveals the dark and dangerous tone of the series — a dramatic (pun intended) departure from Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis." I'm hoping that this will be just as good as the last two shows.

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

The more and more I see, the less and less I like.

I definitely wasn't a fan of the premise.
    I definitely didn't like that Atlantis was canceled in favor of it.
    I did like that they brought on big name talent such as Lou Diamond Philips (say what you will, the man had a career in the '80s that made his name well known.) Ming Na (ER put her name in the households of America, and brings an air of class to it as well.) and of course, Robert Carlyle. (I needn't explain him.)
    I saw this teaser, and realized they're probably not going to be able to save this show for me.

It's a shame, they spent their budget on getting big name stars for the show, but it looks to have the same shitty set design and cheap ass construction that we've all come to know and love.

And yes, I'll admit that SG-1 did a damn fine job trying to replicate the original movie's massive scale.

I'll also admit that parts of Atlantis and all of the Daedalus were quite remarkable considering they're akin to the plywood sets of the days of 'Trek.

Still...for the money spent per episode...I dunno.

I will watch the series pilot, even give an episode or two afterwards a chance, but if the first 4-5 (plus the pilot) don't sell me, then I'm not going to sit through it and it'll be the first Stargate series I truly don't give a damn about.

Sci...whoops! I mean SYFY has me with one show...Eureka. Damn thing is a quirky, odd, beautiful piece of work that's thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I guess the pilot will reveal all. It sounds okay on paper, but the real reveal will be the first few episodes. I'm sure given a decent chance, it will hit a stride and at least be enjoyable.

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I still think Atlantis should have carried on. Oh well if this sucks I won't have any further reason to watch whatever they're deciding to call that channel this week.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Not really. It sounds an awful lot like Stargate: Voyager to me. (Don't get me wrong, I love Stargate, and I love Voyager (I actually do.) but the two of them together just screams "BAD IDEA"

And I'd love for it to flourish and keep 'Gate alive, even with some SG-1 or Atlantis cameos, but I have a feeling this one could seriously crash and burn.

I agree. Atlantis had some of it's highest ratings ever near the end. Especially the Vegas episode. They could've easily squeezed out two more seasons without it becoming a dull like SG-1 did. (Now there's a show that just didn't know when the hell to quit.)

And the Atlantis DTV movie(s) we were told about? Postponed. The first was supposed to be due out in the fall of this year at the earliest, now they haven't even written a script and have only picked a director for it. The movie (if it gets made) won't be until at least late Spring, midsummer 2010. (I have a feeling we won't be seeing it though, we've yet to see any other SG-1 movies like we were supposed to.)

And it was said that season 5 would end the series in a cliffhanger, to be concluded in the DTV movie. Well, there was no cliffhanger, they made it to Earth safely, Ronon and Teyla have agreed to stick with the team no matter where Atlantis is, and it was actually a pretty nice ending all things considered. There's really no where to go with it now... Rodney has Dr. Keller, everyone's back home, and even though they have Todd in a holding cell, if he receives more treatments he could become human once more. (Unless they decide to add a Wraith to the team, that'll be the next grand idea...)

8. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

I think everyone is being too hard on this new show. Yes I wish they kept Atlantis going but they didn't. Were still getting movies. I'm not sure where you are getting your information regarding them being postponed. I have heard nothing of this. Also Atlantis wasn't canceled because of SGU, it was canceled due to low ratings. Anyway, I think this show looks great. A new, possibly, change of pace to the Stargate franchise. I mean come on, these writers gave us 10 great years of Stargate SG-1 and 5 great years of Stargate Atlantis. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Oh I didn't say we weren't getting the movies. I said it seemed like it. And as for the having a director only thing, I got it from this article over at Gateworld: GateWorld Mikita to direct Atlantis movie

And one more article...

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/10/tapping_isg-1i_and_iatlantisi_mo.shtml

And as for Sci-Fi airing any of the Atlantis or SG-1 movies...don't hold your breath. They've yet to air The Ark Of Truth or Continuum as far as I know. It's more reliable to wait for the DTV release than a SyFy airing.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I thought it could be good. But Lou Diamond Phillups? Why bother making it, he's doom to a TV show!