Stargate Trilogy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerd Bomber, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Just saw on scifi.com (could have been there for a while) that there are plans to make two sequels to the early 90s movie of stargate that would cover events during the time between the first movie and the sg1 series.

www.scifi.com
    discuss!

2. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I didn't think the series took place that long after the movie? It definiately didn't seem like much happened between the two. I could be wrong it's been a long time since I've seen the fist episode.

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

AICN seemed to indicate that the new films would be a different continuity to SG1 and would hopefully have the original cast back, kurt russel, james spader etc...

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The SG "trilogy" was supposedly planned out ahead of time, though to what degree no one can say save RE and DD. However, they were relative nobodies at the time, and had no control over the property's future. Thus Universal chose to launch the SG television series when RE and DD got involved in other projects.

Now, with RE firmly in need of some success, he has expressed a desire to return to the movies, which are separate from the tv show. As for the tv show, Universal probably figures most people don't watch it, and the five people who do apparantly will watch anything with the SG label.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So will these be made by SciFi movie studios or a real movie studio for theatrical release?

I don't feel like digging through the whole SciFi site to find the info.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me no likey.

Sg1 and Atlantis FTW!

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'm not too sure about this...

Seconded.

8. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Kurt Russel < Richard Dean Anderson

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I don't think it would work. To many people know Stargate as the tv series characters now and not the movie characters. The movie was good but the tv series has long surpassed it. SG-1 and Atlantis rock.

10. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I too think both series have surpassed the movie. If they were going with the series continuity, I'm not sure how much time there was between the movie and the series,but it didn't seem to be much more than a few years at the most. Maybe three to five. It actually seemed closer to one or two to me; although It has been a while since I saw the first ep too, but now that I think about it I seem to remember the first ep mentioning something at the begining like six months later or something like that.

I don't want them to do movies in a different continuity. We had that with the Highlander franchise. I don't think it needs to be repeated.

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I think a couple Stargate movies is a good idea, but only if they use the SG-1 cast. I mean, the original movie actors did okay, but more people identify RDA as Jack O'Neil than Kurt Russel IMO, anyway. Besides, maybe then we can get to see Amanda Tapping topless. Oops. Did I say that? :D 

12. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now, that would be an interesting scene

13. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    I watched the pilot episode some months back, but it's still fresh in my memory. The pilot tales place only about a year after the events in the movie.

I'd definitely rather see a movie based on the TV continuity. Didn't I read somewhere that a movie was planned that might lead into a third series? Or maybe that was fan speculation.

14. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Due to accidentally making a little HTML taglet, my prior post could have been mistaken for an endorsement of Kurt Russel for the role of Colonel (now General) O'Neil. This was not the case. The post actually said that Kurt Russel is less than Richard Dean Anderson.

15. BillsToys83

BillsToys83 <b>Botcon 2006 Dealer</b>

Making these apart from the series at this point is a very bad idea. That is like making the original animated TF movie seperate than the cartoon without the cartoon reflecting what occurs in the movie.

After 10 seasons of SG-1, stick with the laid out story and the cast already on hand, whether it be Richard Dean Anderson or Ben Browder, but do not go backwards and try to fight the enemies that they beat three seasons back

16. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I always thought that they should wait and end the series with a new movie to wrap it up. At least the SG-1 part.

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I like the idea of having the movies in a different continuity. I liked the original movie, but the series never grabbed my attention.