Stargate Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by wreckage, Jul 9, 2006.

1. wreckage

wreckage Sweet biscuits!

News Credits:
    We already had the Star Wars/Transformers crossover but I think Stargate would have worked better. IMO the Star Wars Vehicles are plain boring (face it the tie advanced is nothing more than a square with a cockpit).

Stargate also has more ties to Transformers Garry Chalk plays (played) Colonel Chekov on the show. So even if they did the vehicle that turns into a show character you would at least get a figure of the guy who does the voice for Prime/Primal. Again IMO the Stargate vehicles would work so much better because the Stargate ships are actually made for combat. I would rather pick up a Transforming F-302 then a Jedi Starfighter and Transforming Prometheus to the MF.

Here a link to descriptions and pictures of all the stargate ship for people who don't watch the show http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/index.shtml

So what do all think about the Idea?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    SW is about 1000x more popular than Stargate, so I don't see it happening.

I personally think SW ships are far more iconic and interesting that Stargate ships, I think I may recogonize one of those big pyramid ships and those little fighters, and that's about it, while I can name about 10 different SW ships.

Since when are SW ships not made for combat? Most of them are exactly that.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah like Megamoonman said right off the bat, it's all bout popularity. SW has a massive following, and Stargate's fanbase is, in comparission, small.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't think that a SG set of transformers would really turn out that well.

Granted there's the popularity issue, but I'd be willing to say that the popularity of Starwars is a little over-hyped. Sure, most people know starwars, but beyond the original 3 movies, I don't think there is quite the same level of recognition for the ships. Yet, a good portion of the ships are from the new films. Most people I know can tell what the millenium falcon is, or what a tie fighter or x wing is, but very few know what a jedi starfighter is... Still, when it comes down to it, kids probably recognize the new ships, and that's the target market, so they're really able to capture both markets (grown up collectors, and kids looking for new toys) and justify brining out a new line. With stargate, it's really only the older crowd that they would be getting in the market, so it's not really worth it to them.

Beyond the popularity issue, even as a fan of SG1 and SGA, I can't really see these figures working that well. Most of the ships (especially Goa'uld ships) are so rounded that making decent bot mode would sacrifice alot either in the look of the alt mode in order to allow for a decent transformation, or you would end up with a transformer with very limited articulation (kind of like boba fett) or a very simple shell-former transformation.

At best, you might be able to get a few good looking bot and alt modes for some of the more simple or blockier ships like the promethius, Deadalus, X302, Ori ships, or even the Asgard ships. At the same time as being more blocky, however, the general shape of many of those ships is simply to long and narrow for it to be a viable alt mode for most tranformations.

The single greatest thing I'd say going against this idea, however, is also the reason I doubt there will ever be a star trek transformers series (beyond the liscencing issues of course). Starwars ships are generally identifiable with specific characters. Vader has his special tie interceptor that he uses in the movie, luke has the snowspeeder and the xwing, boba fett has slave 1.... But, as is the case with star-trek, such connections do not exist among different characters and the ships. There is no one person really associated with any of the ships in either series at the same level as in starwars. In many cases, the ships hold multiple crew members, or are used by multiple characters throughout the show. It makes choosing a robot mode that much more difficult (as well as that much more dividing for the fan-base) for designers if they don't know really who each ship is supposed to be or look like.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think a newer model Enterprise TF would kick all kinds of ass, but not a whole series of Trek TF figures. As far as who it turns into, I think the whole "pilot" transformation is dumb. They try too hard and make sacrifices to make it resemble the pilot. Why can't it just be a random or new character TF?

And no, it shouldn't turn into Prime or anything, just a new bot entirely.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I totally agree....a random robot mode would have been SO much better than trying to make robot versions of the humans. Grevious' robot mode looks decent (even though it's floppy as hell and blows) because he IS a robot, not some random androd with terrible looking "hair".

7. wreckage

wreckage Sweet biscuits!

News Credits:
    I agree with you that the Goa'uld ship would be hard to do but I think the F-302 could transform similar to the seekers in respect that the wings would be on the back in robot mode.

PS: Sokar love your civil war sig. McKay is my favorite character on SGA.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would rather have GI Joe/TF figures........

I would love to finally get a figure of Prime as the HISS Tank......or Starscream as a Rattler

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, first GI Joe. Then 'TV Car Stars,' including the General Lee, K.I.T.T., the A-Team van, and (shyeah, right) the Batmobile.

-Tony
    Sees an easy repaint from K.I.T.T. to K.A.R.R.

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I dunno, but the idea of SG TFs sound like a pretty asinine idea.

Seconded.

11. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Nuts to that, me wants some DnD/TF figures.

12. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but we have the batmobile already. Only they made batmans ears point forward instead of up in robot mode, and screwed the name up... Cybertron Galva...something or other...

13. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

They already came close to a stargate tf in power rangers. The carrier zord from Zeo I think it was looks almost exactly like a Gould mothership. At least it was enough simularity for people in the Star trek fan club to make a joke about it when there was one in a auction I was at recently.

14. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea, but as stated by others here I too think that it would never happen simply based on popularity. I love Stargate as much as the next guy, but I don't think that the ships are TF-worthy.

15. wreckage

wreckage Sweet biscuits!

News Credits:
    Here are some Ideas for the SGTF figures.

Autobots
    Optimus Prime - Prometheus
    Ultra Magnus - Daedalus
    Jetfire - Korolev
    Vector Prime - Odyssey
    Air Raid - F-302
    Fireflight - F-302
    Silverbolt - F-302
    Skydive - F-302
    Slingshot - F-302
    Metroplex - Orion
    Fortress Maximus - Atlantis
    Bumblebee - Puddlejumper
    Perceptor - The Daniel Jackson (Asgard Science Vessal)
    Ironhide - The O'Neill (Asgard BattleShip)

Decepticons
    Megatron - Ha'tak
    Overlord - Ori Warship
    Starscream - Deathglider
    Thundercracker - Deathglider
    Skywarp - Deathglider
    Thrust - Deathglider
    Ramjet - Deathglider
    Dirge - Deathglider
    Octane - Tel'Tak (Cargo Ship)
    Blitzwing - Al'kesh
    Thunderwing - Al'kesh
    Metrotitan - Anubis's mothership

Terrorcons
    Nemesis Prime - Wraith Hive ship
    Hun Grrr - Wraith Cruiser
    Blot - Wraithdart
    Cutthroat - Wraithdart
    Rippersnipper - Wraithdart
    Sinnertwin - Wraithdart

Replicators
    Scrapmetal - Replicator
    Tarantulas - Replicator Warship

So what do you think? I know the line will never happen but I can dream can I not.

16. wreckage

wreckage Sweet biscuits!

News Credits:
    They're just pissed off cause their show got cancelled.

17. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Ori ships reminded me of BM Megatron's Mega-head ship. As interesting as this would be, I don't see it hapenning for the reasons stated above...especially what Sokar said about the ships being tied to specific characters.

:lol  Just change the name on the package for the "Trust Doesn't Rust" version. Hell, call it the "Peter Cullen" variant. ;) 

Of course, the "KITT vs. KARR" repaint would need a yellow scanner/robot eyes and maybe a black/silver paintjob. :horse: