Stargate SG-1: Children Of The Gods: The Final Cut??

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AnimatedFan, Jul 18, 2009.

1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Yeah, that was my first thought too. I saw it advertised during tonight's episode of Eureka, and decided to check online.

Sure enough, it is real and it's coming to DVD July 21st.

From: Stargate SG-1: Children Of The Gods Blasts Onto DVD July 21 - Starpulse Entertainment News

And: Children of the Gods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going to buy it because I will support Stargate in pretty much any form (I say pretty much because I've yet to see Universe, and I can't decide on it until then.) so I will buy this movie.

I'm seriously intrigued by the fact that it'll be more a self contained film, rather than a pilot with a continuation, plus I'd like to see the new footage and the better special effects.

What I don't like, however, is that seven minutes are missing. No, I don't care about the nudity, in fact I was a bit shocked and appalled that they'd go that route, really. Everything I knew of Stargate was mostly family friendly. Not friendly for kids, so much, but at least preteen to teens, up through adults. It was something everyone could watch, most of the time. So axing that entire segment is fine by me. Though it was neat seeing how the Goa'Uld were carried around and implanted in the body of the slaves and the hosts, respectively.

However, it does say that the missing footage, plus the new footage makes it an entirely different cut, gives the film a different feel. It might well be worth it. I'm hoping so. I've seen movies where they cut segments, reedited and it made much more sense with the edit.

Anyone who's a big fan of Highlander knows what I'm talking about when it comes to Highlander II: The Quickening and Highlander II: Renegade Version (The Director's Cut) and now Highlander II: The Director's Cut. (The Renegade Version, but with brand new CGI visuals, a full analog to HD digital transfer, and 5,6,7 channel surround and DTS.) For those of you who don't know...

The Quickening was meant to be more like The Renegade cut, but it was supposed to deal with the source of their immortality powers. The movie company swooped in, cut the film to pieces and took it's running time down to 90 minutes, and it was terribly disjointed, some scenes made absolutely no sense, and you could literally see the continuity errors. (One scene Connor has no sword, the next he has Ramirez's dragon head katana, no joke.)

The Renegade Version not only put back all of the scenes they cut from the intended storyline, but they moved pieces around to make them fit better in the puzzling storyline and remove all traces of Planet Geist and so on. A much, much better film.

I said all of that to say this:

We Stargate fans are facing the same potential problem. They're cutting and adding scenes, moving things around to fit, tightening it down, etc. Will we receive a totally awesome redo Renegade Version for Children OF The Gods, or will we receive "The Quickening" style editing and hackjob for Children Of The Gods?

After the whole HLII disaster, I sure hope people learned their lessons from watching others fail.

But, all that aside for the moment...I'm damned excited. I can't wait to see this version of the film. Yay!

....what does this say for the rumored sequels we were promised??

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing that worries me about that description is they kept referring to Ra.

Ra got blown up in the film and Apophis was the main protagonist in the pilot episode up till the end of the 4th season.

Gateworld have some images of the menu screens: GateWorld Early peek at Children of the Gods DVD menus

3. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Unless RA is part of the new footage being added back in. Perhaps a flashback or something?

I'm definitely excited, but I'm also unsure of this. I'm hoping it's terrific though.

4. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

Sha're was HOT anyway :D 

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Well, I bought this so called...Final Cut.

I have to say that it was unnecessary.

They did remove the nudity during Sha'ure's symbiote scene.

They shortened some scenes (removed a line of dialogue or two, cut out the segments showing Kowalski being taken by a symbiote. You see neither the implantation through the ear, nor his glowing eyes at the end. Which, in all honesty...I'm glad they cut. It just seemed silly, especially with the way the final cut was handled.)

Extended some (such as Teal'c talking to SG-1 after they've freed the hostages, plus other scenes had dialogue edited back in.)

They did add some special effects, as promised (though nothing you'd expect. They were all ...cheesy, at best. One was a city shot of Chulak as the SG-1 team enters the palace where they sit down to feast for the unveiling of Apophis's choice for a new host for his mate. The rest were strewn about and really unimportant.)

I have the original, I have the new final cut, and I can honestly say that the changes weren't really worth a re-release of this on DVD.

On the one hand, yes, it feels more like a movie, rather than a TV series pilot. On the other, for some reason, the other version had a bit more oomph to it.

I was expecting something great (with the way they were talking), but I really don't know how to classify it. It was better than the original in some ways, worse in others, but it's about neck and neck with the original, so I guess it's just more of the same with a prettier set of special effects in a couple of scenes.

Get it if you want a digitally remastered version of it, in a movie form, more or less. (And if you're a hardcore fan)

Skip it if you think the original's fine as is, or just don't care.