Stargate : Ark of Truth (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Zathras, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

The first Direct to DVD movie for Stargate SG-1 comes out today

I've seen the movie a few weeks ago and thought it was ok, not great.

There are a few negative points in my opinion

- No Richard Dean Anderson cameo
    - The return of a previous SG-1 enemy kind of took the focus off the ORI threat.
    - The magnitude of the movie wasnt as big as I thought it would be (hoped it would match "The Lost City" episode in terms of magnitude.
    - The way the ORI threat is eliminated is kinda lame.

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Added a notes so we can talk spoilers as some people might not have seen it yet.

I actually thought it was well done, on par and if not better than The Lost City.

The reappearance of the Replicators was a nice touch and the reactions to them were prefect. But you'd think the IOA would have some clue about the potential dangers.

It would have been nice to have stretched out the Ori storyline but there is a point where it would have just been going over old ground, so the wrapping it up was good, though a little copied from a previous episode.
    It was also nice to know that Merlin/Daniels plan actually worked from way back in Season 10.

As much as I like RDA and his charaterisation of Jack O'Neill constantly having him in make it to much about him, still he's turning up in the next one so that should be good.

One question I am left with is who made the new programme for the Replicator? It was never answered.

Roll on Continuum.

Oh and for those of us left hanging at the end of Atlantis's fourth season thankfully the wait won't be to long as it apparently returns in Summer. Just means it'll be a longer mid-season break.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I can't wait to see this on Easter Monday when it airs on Sky.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're waiting? :p 

DVD is out on these shores 28th April

5. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw it and I loved it. Yeah, ok it was such an easy cop-out the way they were able to defeat the Ori but still I loved it.

One thing I want to know, when does this take place???? Does it take before Samantha Carter becomes in charge of the Atlantis group? I could have sworn that she mentioned something about the Ori in one of the episodes when she started and it sounded like they were still a threat. And if that is the case, why does Teal'c had to have long hair in his cameo in Atlantis but short hair in the movie?

6. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Season 4 of Atlantis takes place after Ark of Truth and Continuum.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Just finished watching this, loved it. Yes, the end of the Ori was a giant deus ex machina, but it's not completely finished off. Reminds me a bit of how after season 8 there were still some Jaffa wandering about who weren't on best terms with Earth.

The "other threat" was great, nice to see them back in action again, and the "assimilation" was a nice twist.

Roll on Continuum, here's hoping for something that's as much fun as this was.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do think they should have had a big space battle for Earth in it. It really wouldn't take much changes to the existing story. Barely any, just additional scenes.

Have the 7 Ori ships start their attack. The Ancient chair takes out 2 and damages another before a blast knocks it offline. The Odessey finishes off the damaged one and takes out another before being damaged as well. Things look grim and then Bre'tek shows up with a bunch of Gauold ships to take on the Ori ships.

In the meantime, SG-1 comes back through the supergate, goes to the nearest planet with a gate and gate back to Earth. Then the story goes as shown with the Prior being shown the Ark's light. Just before he is shown it and the other Priors stand down, maybe have the Ori ships damage most of the fleet and be just about to blast Earth.

9. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

Macross7 I agree with you.
    All that would have made a much better movie than what we got. The best part of the movie for me is when they went through the supergate. It was a nice homage to the first time Daniel went through the gate in the original movie.
    I don't watch Stargate for everybody to be off in their own little sidequests.
    We got Daniel and Vala always doing stuff together even though Vala is the most useless character in all of Stargate history.
    Teal'c hiking 50 miles by himself.
    Carter doing....nothing at all.
    And Mitchell fighting a Terminator.
    I have all the seasons of SG-1 and most of the time they are a team. They do stuff together, when one is incapacitated it affects all of them. Seasons 9 and 10 lost that family feeling and it continues into this movie.
    I hope the next movie coming out in the summer goes back to that feeling.

10. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:

Vala is HOT!! I don't care how useless she is, I just like to see her in action. :D 

11. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    There were things about it that I thought were kinda weird. Things like Teal'c being on the verge of death, but still climbing mountains and trekking through vast wastelands. The Ancients still piss me off, with all of their non-interference crap. My favorite part was Mitchell vs the Terminator. Too bad it got killed before anything really awesome could happen. IOA pisses me off so much as well. I sure loved the Doctor in ST Voyager, but he pisses me off in Stargate. I guess that's an example of how good of an actor he is.

12. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

What's so weird about Teal'c climbing the mountains. He's a skilled warrior and would be able to push himself harder than any regular human. Anyway I though this movie was excellent. It had a great "movie" feel to it. It didn't just feel like a 2-part episode to me. I loved the whole Terminator/Replicator thing with Merrick. The special effects were movie quality not TV show quality and that's saying something because they won awards for their FX on the show. I loved the Teal'c mountain scene. The filming combined with the music in that scene gave it a very epic feel. I can't wait for Atlantis Season 5 and am very excited for Continuum.

13. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

It's still sold out around here haven't been able to get it yet. :( 

14. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for a Blue-Ray edition. They better make it soon!!!

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The 'Terminator' fight went on far too long. Also, when looking at the thing overall, very little actually happened. It felt like they had the idea of the Ark, and then threw in the Replicator stuff to pad it out to movie length.

16. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

Did you try going to your local video store and renting it? This way you can at least see it. Then buy it when someplace has it in stock.

17. nic28

nic28 warrior

this movie kicks a** buy it or rent it or rent it and watch it then go ahead and buy it anyway. If you are any type of stargate fan this movie is for you

18. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    The only thing missing from that was Legolas shouting "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!"