Starfox Wii coming?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God i really hope so!

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Eh.

I LOVE Starfox. The original got hours upon hours of play time. I have had the soundtrack stuck in my head to this day from my childhood.

Starfox 64 is nearly a perfect game, beating the original in almost every way minus the music. It holds up today after years and years.

Then, Nintendo thought it was a good idea to contract the franchise out. I never played Adventures, so I won't judge it, but it wasn't a proper SF game, so it doesn't matter.

The Gamecube version? I don't know if I had ever felt betrayed by a game before the moment I bought that. It was crap. Generic, unpolished crap. I played it for two days and gave it away, still shocked and awed at what had happened to this beloved franchise.

I bought the DS version. It was better, but... it just wasn't Starfox. No well thought out linear levels. Just open maps which hardly varied at all.

If Nintendo isn't personally developing this in house, I have no faith it will be worth a purchase. And Nintendo is farming out there first-party titles more and more every year...

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more. Any time I hear SF1 music, it brings me back to being a kid. My mind boggled as to why the 64's Starfox had such mundane music compared to the first. Anyways, there hasn't been a good Starfox since that, so it's just something I gotta be caustiously optimistic about.

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

If this is true, and done properly, it would be awesome.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Starfox can be awesome if Nintendo does it themselves, but they should really stop letting other developers handle it.

Starfox Adventures: Actually not a bad game. Not a starfox game, but not bad. The visuals were good for the era, and still hold up, though it was a very casual kind of adventure game more about puzzle solving than combat. I don't think I actually ever died in this one. The end is pretty cool though.

Starfox Assault: Namco tried and failed. I don't think they realized that this is a game about flying and shooting, not searching out every little target on foot and levels that take half an hour or more. The nerfed landmasters were none to welcome either. The few flying portions were good but the controls were inferior to SF64.

Starfox Command: The story was solid, but visually it was inferior to Starfox 64 and that's unforgivable when the systems are so similar in capability. The map screens looked like something out of MSpaint, showing just how rushed they were. The actual gameplay could have used some rail stages. The all range mode is good for dogfights, but it's kind of weak in other areas. A nice try with good ideas, but lacked polish and some things just didn't mesh.

I think what they need to realize is that Starfox 64 got it right. Boost and Brake, left and right banking, Barrel rolls, bombs, and lasers. The controls were so precise they didn't need changing. About the only things that could be altered is maybe a sliding throttle, or independent laser turret allowing firing and moving in different directions, such as in Sin and Punishment.

Otherwise just give us Rail shooting stages, all range mode dogfights, a decent story but don't overdo it, maybe a little bit of alternate vehicles but don't focus too much on them, and lots and lots of things to blow up. That's all it takes.

7. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    The final boss was a rail stage:D ! But I do hope this new game ends up like 64, one of the top N games ever made.

8. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's alreadybeen said but if they ever make one better then Starfox 64 then I'll be choming at the bit to get it.

9. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

Ah, now here is my kind of thread, seeing as Star Fox 64 was the first game I ever owned.

Star Fox for SNES was alright. I went and bought a copy from one of the big gaming stores around here and I enjoyed it. Sure Star Fox 64 is still my favorite, and playing Star Fox made me realize that. Still, and enjoyable game. Played Star Fox 2 as a ROM, it was meh, should of gotten published I say.

Star Fox 64 is, like I said, my favorite out of all the Star Fox franchise. I still update my scores constantly and I can play it whenever I'm bored. I loved the voices, the characters, and the gameplay. Definitely kept me busy as a small kid, and keeps me busy now as a teenager.

Now Star Fox Adventures sort of threw me off balance. I ended up getting it eventually, not right away, and I beat it, using some helpful walkthroughs to help make it complete 100%. After that I played it once again and went meh, it was alright. The story kept me awake when it involved the team or Falco coming back, not the Sauria story. Overall, it was alright, could of been better.

Star Fox Assault was cool for me, no matter how much bashing it got. A good friend of mine hates it because of the whole "Walking on Foot" scheme the game had going, when he loved just being in the Arwing or Landmaster. Anyways, I thought it was alright. Andross was gone, and the Aparoids where the new threat. Alot of characters came back to light, like Oikonny, Pigma, Wolf, Leon, etc. Plus we had Beltino making an appearance which was nice, considering he was mentioned a lot in the SF:64 guide. I really did enjoy it.

As for Command, I wasn't so keen on it but bought it seeing as I needed games for my DS-Lite. I picked up the controls quick but hated alot of the missions, especially the missile chase missions, ugh. The story of the game was solid though, and a lot of things were covered if you played right through the game, like Pigma surviving the events of Assault, and Andross being cited by Wolf as "someone wanting to turn Venom into a normal planet, for his kids" or something around that. It was a cool game, and I did like the Anglar (the new enemies).

Hopefully SF:Wii will be kick ass and continue the story in a cool way.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I bought the first StarFox, I thought Fox was going to drive up in a futuristic car and take me to outer space when I beat the game.

11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget guys, this is just a rumor. It may not be true.