Star Wars Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaiwera05, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Are they any good? I just recalled seeing some when I was at a comic book store in early December and I was wondering what you all thought of them before I picked any up.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The line as a whole isn't horrible. It's had it's really bad figures, but at the same time it's had some that have been quite nice.

Personally only own one myself, and that's the Cad Bane I got from the Supercharge your Giftcard promotion. He isn't a horrible figure, but isn't one I would have bought myself. I'll be turning him into a TF character anyways (the Fallen is the only idea I've come up with so far, lol).

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I have four of them, one vehicle spilts in two and gives me five robots total though. They could of been done better, but the series isnt all that bad. I got a few personal favorites from it.

4. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i have about 10 of these and one word sums it up nicely: disappointment. while the vehicle modes are nice most of the robot modes are just fragile and awkwardly proportioned, even the nicer ones have at least 1 or 2 design flaws that prevented them from entering the 'good' category, so they remain in the 'not too bad' area.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I've passed on a lot of these. The few I have are fragile and not well engineered. If you are a star wars fan, they are great. The alt modes are perfect. The robot modes though are fiddly and I'm not a fan.

6. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I would want to get X-wing Luke, TIE-fighter Vader, and Eta-2 Anakin for starters. And Yoda. Definitely Yoda: Three words: Muppet Jedi Transformer.

7. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

I used to have every single one that came out. Then my 10 year old son came out to visit and had to have them all. So off they went except for a few. I kept the Darth Vader that turns into the Death Star (my avatar). I kept the Falcon that turns into Chewie and Han and I kept Slave 1/Boba fett. The alt modes are perfect if you want the vehicles but dont want the giant ones that can old the figures or the real tiny ones. They are a perfect middle.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only two I've even contemplated buying were commander Cody and Yoda.

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've got a few myself, only bought one last year and that was Yoda, but I've got all the Grievous and Battle Droid releases and a couple other random ones.
    Obligatory Snakes on a Plane reference-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Huh. I was looking particularly at the Death Star Vader and the Millennium Falcon Han/Chewie. Do stores still sell these ones?

11. SSR

SSR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the millennium falcon has gold plastic syndrome be careful.

12. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

For this line, you really need to look up the individual reviews. The line has some serious dogs, and some pretty decent TFs in it.

As others have said, the designs all focus on presenting perfect alt modes. From there, the bots may either be good or afterthoughts, depending on each mold.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    We've had quite a few other threads on them:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...n/326506-star-wars-transformers-any-good.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/187392-tf-star-wars-question.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...hy-do-starwars-transformers-suck-so-much.html

General consensus is that the alt modes are great but many of the bot modes are kinda ugly, fragile, kibbly, shelforming and disappointing. As I understand it, the toys aren't even designed by the same Hasbro dept that does Transformers, and the quality is inferior both in the bot designs and the type plastics used. And a common flaw is the poor leg articulation/design -- like they were so focused on the vehicle and upper torso design that the legs seem an afterthought...just tacked on at the end without putting much thought or detail into designing them.

But speaking for myself, I like them overall, even though I agree that they're flawed. I think if you're a diehard Star Wars fan and a Transformers fan, you might just like them too...or at least a few of them, anyway.

I also think they're overpriced because the bot modes are generally inferior to TF quality and they're close to the deluxe class TF toys in size so it's like paying $4 more just because it has a Star Wars name on it.

If I were going to recommend any of the SW TFs to another collector, they would be the following:

- Death Star Darth Vader: possibly one of the nicest shellformers ever made, although it's a pain to transform. This toy alone makes me glad the SW TF line was produced.

- Clone Commander Cody Turbo Tank: someone did a Halo Master Chief custom of this that is so awesome I would buy it, no question. (I've attached a pic below.) And the toy is one of the best designed of the SW TF line, which...unfortunately, isn't saying a whole lot.

- Clone Pilot / ARC-170 Starfighter: love the tigershark design on this one, and it makes the poor leg design less noticeable.

- Emperor Palpatine / Imperial Shuttle: I just think this one is cool, and I like the black redeco a lot more than the original white one because it resembles Palpatine's cloaked look more.

- General Grievous / Wheel Bike: This one is really fragile, but I really like the design. Maybe it's because Grievous is cool and I was amazed that they were able to make a transforming toy out of the wheel bike.

- AT-AT Driver / AT-AT: AT-AT is my favorite SW vehicle, and even with the bot mode having weak bird legs I just love this toy. The Imperial Trooper redeco is also nice, but hard to find.

- Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder: If you must have a transforming Luke toy, get this one. The X-Wing Luke bot mode is a hideous design.

- Captain Rex / AT-TE: Shellformer, but another one I like because of the unique vehicle, and the bot mode is much more TF-like than so many others in the SW TF line.

- MagnaGuard / MagnaGuard Starfighter: One of the few where both the alt and bot modes both work together thematically, and the bot mode also overall resembles the actual SW character.

- Battle Droid Commander / Armored Assault Tank: Similar to the MagnaGuard SW TF where both modes gel.

- Yoda / Republic Attack Shuttle: Two reasons to own this: It's Yoda, and it's a Yoda that transforms into a shuttle.

- Lieutenant Thire / Republic Assault Cruiser: Wish this one was larger and on scale with the others in the line, mainly because it's a Cruiser. But I still like it - bot mode is kinda bad@$$ too. I also think it would make for a cool custom Straxus.

- Han Solo/Chewbacca / Millennium Falcon: Seems to be an oversight that this one was omitted from TFs Crossover list (although the toy does have a page on TFW). While the Han Solo part of the "combiner" is grotesque, Chewie's bot mode is kinda cool. And it's impressive that the two bots come together to form the Falcon. Also, it's the Falcon -- I had to have it.

I think the upcoming Vader/Star Destroyer looks interesting, but I'm reserving judgment for when I've seen it in person. So far, I've only liked one of the Vader SW TF toys.

If you're going to get any of these, I suggest browsing the Junkion Exchange forum. You'll find quite a few fans selling many of these loose for 50-80% off the retail price because they just want them gone. Death Star Vader and Han Solo/Chewie are the exceptions. They're the only ones that seem to have gone up in value, especially for a minty boxed one.

Attached Files:

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are the only ones I've bothered with.

Vader/Death Star - came out several years ago.
    Yoda/Republic Shuttle - It's Yoda!
    Commander Cody/Turbo Tank
    Magnaguard/MagnaGuard Starfighter and repaint Cad Bad/Bane Ship - one of the best transformation with minimal kibble.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Avoid that shit like the fucking plaque.

Bought one in 2005. Never again.