Star Wars Transformers Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Wheeljack, Aug 17, 2008.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have recentley decidied to give every line of Transformers a chance after purchasing one of the Marvel Crossovers which I initally hated but now think are not half bad. Really the only line I haven't sampled yet would be the Star Wars Crossovers. I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction of which figures to go for, I already plan on getting the new General Grevious figure when it comes out as he is my favorite SW character & it dosen't look too bad IMO. Also, is the original Grevious any good?

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grievous is awful. Commander Cody Turbo Tank and Vader Death Star are probably one of the better toys in the line..

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    The original Grevious LOOKS nice, but comes apart very easily. Still, I'd recommend it if you don't mind something like that.

As far as how many you're willing to purchase, I'll just put them on "tiers", with the 1st tier being the best of the best, 2nd tier being pretty good, etc.

1st Tier: Han Solo/Chewbacca Millennium Falcon, Darth Vader Death Star, Clone Commander Cody

2nd Tier: General Grevious (Wheelbike), Republic Gunship Clone Pilot, Darth Vader (TIE Fighter), Darth Maul, AT-AT Driver

3rd Tier: ARC Fighter Clone Pilot, any of the gazillion uses of the Episode I Starfighter (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Darth Vader, Mace Windu...), any of the Episode II Starfighter toys, Emperor Palpatine

Bottom Tier: Either Luke Skywalker mold, Boba/Jango Fett

If you want more detailed reviews, you can always check them out on my website (except for the Darth Star, haven't gotten to him yet-- and yes, shameless self-promotion, I know).

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In general, I'd recommend staying away from SWTFs. I owned most of the early molds at one time and sold them due to the poor engineering and low quality of the plastic. Most of them had loose joints, pieces that came off during transformation, parts that didn't attach right, etc.

Concerning the original General Grievous, this was the worst figure of the line, IMO. All four limbs come off very easily, both during transformation and when just manipulating the toy in general, at both the hip/shoulder ball joints and mid-'thigh' swivels. Given the problems with the legs, and the huge backpack, the figure is virtually impossible to keep standing up.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Commander Cody is a must!

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up Cody if I see him in stores soon. As for Vader 7 the 2-pack, I'm not really going to go above the $15 price point for this line, so just reccomendations for the deluxes, if you can call them that.
    Vangelus:review that Clone Commander & he'll be mine for sure.

7. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

Hardly any of the SW TFs are any good... But Darth Vader(Death Star) is good(Best in the line) and (if you can stand the heads) the Millenium Falcon...

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get Mace Windu, just so you can have a Samuel L. Jackson Transformer.

9. Nemesis_Prime22

CLone Pilot also doesnt look bad, but the arms are a little bit on the small side...

10. Nemesis_Prime22

Oh, and General Grievous...

11. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've only ever purchased 3... one of which I returned immediately.

Death Star Darth Vader. Total Win, seriously, go for it.
    Millennium Falcon Chewy & Han. also, total win
    Obi Wan Kenobi (original; not a huge Star Wars fan, so don't know the ship mode he was).... don't waste your time, chinsy piece of crap

other than that... sorry, really can't help you.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i dont own too many [although there's a couple i wouldnt mind owning] id say that a good amount are probably passable

with that said though, i absolutely love my han&chewie falcon

the millenium falcon is pure win. i count it as a bonus that it transforms into two decent bots :D 

13. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    wow, no love for the small vader? I think the Tie Advanced Vader is really awesome. Like all the SWTFs the vehicle mode is great, but he doesn't have any of that nasty random kibble clogging up his robot mode. He's great. I'd say get him before even Commander Cody (who I didn't think was as terrific as everyone else seems to.). All the Marvel Crossovers are better than Cody IMO, but $15 Stacks up next to them very well.

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just avoid Boba/Jango. If you are only thinking of deluxe size I'd recommend Cody and Maul. I also think Grievous' mecha mode is OK.

15. defstar

defstar Autobot...

The AT-AT Driver is one of the better ones imo...though kind of hard to find...

16. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Seconded!

Cody is a great figure. The missle fires with a great amount of force, and you can store them in the "empty section" inside the vehicle mode. The only problems would be the tires in the mech mode getting in the way, and the legs aren't the best. He also has 4 hidden bonus's, if you can find them.

And please vangelus, MORE REVIEWS!!!

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Mind explaining what they are? Just color the font in silver so it doesn't show up.

Oh, and also, BUY THEM IN THE 30th PACKAGING! The new ones on CLONE WARS packaging have no Pilots at all!

Why Hasbro removed them, I have no idea. But it seems stupid to do such a thing.

As for Star Wars Tf's, I only have the "Sasee Tiin -> Episode 2 Jedi Starfighter w/Boosters" figure. Orange is my favorite color, and Sasee Tiin looked cool in robot mode with his horns and his mask, which can flip up to reveal his face.

18. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the one thing most people agree on is that the alternate modes are GREAT, for the most part.

I am getting them for Star Wars display not the transforming mechanisms. They are bigger than the awful titaniums and smaller and cheaper than the full size toy ships...

Transforming these figures is just a bonus but the alt modes are GREAT!!!

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Only SWTF I own is the Death Star Vader and I like it quite a lot. Rest of the line has not interested me.

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    In spite of fan complaints about the SWTF line (most of which I totally agree with), I still like them. They combined my two childhood-favorite toy lines, so it's like having a fantasy toy line made just for me. Yeah, a lot of them are indeed really crappy (although the Marvel MegaMorphs take top honors on the crossover crappiness scale), but I really like the alt-modes.

Crappiness aside, I would second the same recommendations already posted.

My favorites are (and these are also in the order I would recommend them starting from #1):

1) Death Star Vader
    I'd love to see a Radicon Unicron done of this figure, if someone hasn't done one already.
    2) Clone Commander Cody
    Seriously, this is a fun toy. And I'm planning to do my own Halo Master Chief custom of this figure in the future like the one that popped up on ebay earlier this year.
    3) Han/Chewie Millennium Falcon
    The bot modes are hideous, but the detail on the Falcon mode is impressive and it makes a really nice display piece. I almost would call this one a "must" for someone who's both a SW and TF fan. And I got mine on clearance for only $8 too.
    4) Tie Advanced Vader
    Some nice improvements over the first Tie Fighter Vader that was released. And BTW, the Tie Fighter Vader/Obi-Wan Starfighter 2-pack is a great deal if you can still find them clearanced. I got mine for less than $10.
    5) AT-AT Driver
    The robot mode is goofy as crap, but the AT-AT will always be my favorite SW vehicle and in that regard alone it's a nice toy replica.
    6) Imperial Shuttle Emperor Palpatine
    Another nice vehicle replica, even if the robot mode is wonky. Would like to see a black repaint of this one.

And Grievous is a really crappy toy and figure, but I like the character and vehicle mode so much I can't help but like this one. It's just sad it's so poorly designed.

I like the ones for Darth Maul, Republic Gunship Clone Pilot, ARC Fighter Clone Pilot, and Sasee Tiin Jedi Starfighter, but I still haven't picked those up yet.

I'd suggest checking the Junkion Exchange forum and get some great deals on loose ones from fans who bought 'em, didn't like 'em, and would be glad to be rid of 'em.