Star Wars Transformers could have been awesome!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Batman, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really liked the idea of Star Wars Transformers. That was until I found out they Transformed into their human drivers. Why would the Death Star transform into Darth Vader. It could have been Unicron. I would have bought them all if they Transformerd into Transformer characters. Could you imagine a Galvatron Imperial Ship or Anakins fighter as Bumblebee. Awesomeness. There could have been Beast Wars toys as Star Wars animals. I guess it was some some licensing thing with Lucas that made it happen the way it did. I can only dream..........

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Hmmm... interesting thought. True cross-promotion!

3. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    Thats exactly what I thought, until I saw the end of the commercial. :( 

4. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    I recently got into SWTF's and I like em. There are some hits and misses, like any line. It does seem that these are aimed more towards SW collectors than TF folks.
    I really like the detail and accuracy on the vehicle modes, which is the same reason I like Alts / BTs.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They look great in vehicle mode, but once transformed..... eghhhh. Hell they could have made a comic book about the Sith joining forces with the Decepticons and the Autobots with the jedi. Could have been awesome.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That's what I wanted as well

I guess they're concentrating on the SW fans for the SWTF line by keeping everything SW related, and Lucas loves his money

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    When they first came out I think that this was the general consensus. They could have been much better. But looking at the designs going forward they may have worked out some issues cause they look pretty tight.

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i jsut wanted them to look a hell of a lot better in Robot mode, going in a more mech-ish/Transformish direction (even if they were still "inspired by" their pilots) would have been nice ~ the Action Figure wearing Star Wars-ship-kibble look is just sad too me.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I agree. I bet most of us do. But then we're TF fans, which is why we're here. The SW market is larger by far, so I guess they figured to make toys to cater to them. Good thing, too, as most TF collectors can spot the shoddy work on these toys pretty fast.

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

...yeah, could have been... decent idea

11. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts. This line could have been tits but c'est la vie. I gave the line a fair shake with Luke, Maul and Palpatine. Palp is passable at best. I recently sold Luke & Maul. :( 

I just hope if they ever do a GI JOE crossover they get the TF team to design them.

12. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    I find the X wing fighter to be the weakest, mostly because of the loose joints and standing issues. My fave is probably General Grevious or Boba Fett. Really looking forward to the new molds that should be out this spring/summer.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, I think they would be better if they changed into big mech suits, without character inspired heads.

Closet to that would be the Arc fighter to CLone Pilot, and coincidentally its the best SWTF IMO.

But even so, some are ATROCIOUS. Vader's TIE advanced is horrific in bot mode, I mean its stupendously bad... urgh.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

but, some of it still IS awesome...

like the deathstar...

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think you hit the nail on the head here.... they are not so much Transformers that happen to be SW vehicles, but SW vehicles that happen to transform.

For TF fans it seems a wasted opportunity, because I'm sure most of us would much rather have the figures transform into known TF characters. However, from a marketing standpoint, what they did probably seemed to make more sense, since there is (I'm guessing) a much bigger SW fanbase than a TF fanbase.

But man would I love to have a figure of Starscream as an X-Wing. Or if that's too good guy for him, maybe a Sith Infiltrator.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or a TIE Interceptor. :D 

17. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to se Prime as the big Cobra HISS.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, the only thing I like less than Star Wars vehicles transforming into Star Wars characters - is Star Wars vehicles transforming into Transformers characters. I get a little tired of seeing the same ten TF G1 characters reworked over and over into different forms to fit into different worlds: 1800s, 1940s, GI-Joe, Cybertronian/War Within, what have you. Personally, I'd rather see new robot characters or even a more generic piloted mecha look (since that's what the SWTFs are touted as anyway).

19. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I gave up buying them. Nothing caught my eye and they were pretty expensive for a SW toy. Expecially since some toys quality have been shoddy. I might get the Deathstar and maybe the Gunship. Aside from that, count me out for the rest of the series.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would have liked more of a story that involved the TF's. Such as instead of going to earth the TFs went to the SW galaxy and merged technologies.

That is what I thought of when I first heard of SWTF and came up with this:

[​IMG]